BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #1
Scott2.0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i and 2015 i3 REx

Weird smell when turning engine off

Hi all, here's a weird one. Over the last few weeks, my 50i has been emitting a nasty, strong, vomit-like smell when shutting off the engine and parking. It comes from the front passenger side, either from the wheel well or front grill. I see no animals or anything else under the vehicle nor in the engine bay. The smell is not at all noticeable when inside the vehicle.

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have any ideas? I can't think of any automotive fluid or anything that would smell like that and it's obviously triggered from the engine heating up. I've been through a car wash and it didn't help.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 03:04 PM   #2
kendrick07
Private
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4 Coupe

Sometimes the build up of dead bugs on the radiator can smell pretty bad. Hmm I'd start by looking at the undercarriage of the car and seeing if anything is there. Have you washed your car thoroughly in that area since? Maybe someone actually vomited around your car. That would bug the hell out of me too.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 05:59 PM   #3
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2.0 View Post
Hi all, here's a weird one. Over the last few weeks, my 50i has been emitting a nasty, strong, vomit-like smell when shutting off the engine and parking. It comes from the front passenger side, either from the wheel well or front grill. I see no animals or anything else under the vehicle nor in the engine bay. The smell is not at all noticeable when inside the vehicle.

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have any ideas? I can't think of any automotive fluid or anything that would smell like that and it's obviously triggered from the engine heating up. I've been through a car wash and it didn't help.

Thanks!
What about anything stuck in the vent behind the front wheel?
Appreciate 0