BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-13-2021, 10:02 AM   #1
Submariner2009
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

2014 X5 -- Keep or move on?

Folks,

I have a 2014 X5 3.5 that I acquired as a CPO in 2017 -- three rows, always dealer maintained, in overall really nice condition and about 70K miles now. I drive ~7.5K miles/year max in a normal year (let's all forget about 2020). It has everything I want (even the heads up display), only thing missing that I'd like is the upgraded H&K sound but not huge deal for me.

I'm taking it into the dealer next week for its final service as part of the extended BWM maintenance program (unless anything else is off only due for an oil change and likely new wipers at this point, front and rear brakes replaced within about the last 10K miles and 2 years under this program).

The only problem I had with it (albeit very expensive) was addressing an engine seal leak (~$1K) and replacing the rear air suspension system which failed (rear shocks and compressor, about ~$4K) in summer 2019, or about 7.5K miles ago. I did have a sunroof leak during a massive rainstorm but the culprit was a clogged drain which I have since addressed and watching closely. One of the rear seat warmers has failed but the chance that I'll spend $1K to replace it so a kids' rump can be warm is zero -- I tell them, "try growing up in a mid-70s Datsun wagon."

It has about 2 years remaining on the wheel and tire warranty -- as I live in a city with massive potholes it's already paid for itself with a bent rim and damaged tire.

Interested in folks' experience with keeping these cars beyond this period, potential for other major maintenance/repair needs (to the extent anyone can predict such things) as I start to think about whether to keep it for a couple more years or move on. It feels like having tackled two of the more expensive and (relatively common) failures that getting more for my money so-to-speak would makes sense. It's also served my family very well, I like that living in a city I'm far less concerned about the occasional ding/scratch on an older car and the rear tailgate is a huge help in keeping kids' dirty cleats etc. out of the car. I also don't like the front grill in the newer model, personal preference.

Welcome any thoughts/guidance/experiences or things to look out for. Regular and proactive maintenance I'm all about and have no issues with, but known fail points or common issues to avoid would be good to know about.

Be safe all and thanks for the replies.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:42 AM   #2
scotty339
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x35i M-Sport

Some good info about the N55 engine here. Worth a read.
https://bmwtuning.co/bmw-n55-faq/

With that being said, my '15 has 110,000KM (70K miles) on it and my extended warranty is done at 120K or August 2021. I thought I'd hit the mileage limit first before time, but with COVID my driving has really gone down. I've had one air bag in the rear replaced and one ball joint and control arm reaplaced for squeaking. Before my warranty is done I'll have them do a once over and see what if anything they find. My passenger side door lock pop tab has stopped working, but the door works fine, so not a big concern at this time.

Being able to DIY some things if not all is a major factor for me wanting to keep it after my warranty is done. With ISTA+ plus some tools you can handle most of the majority of repairs.

Parts are more expensive forsure, but if I am under 2K a year I am happy in maint/repairs.

Things that I am concerned about going foward;
Will have to do plugs/ignition coils this summer.
Front brakes are going to need doing, just did the rears.
The water pump is a common issue in BMW's which I'll probably tackle in 2022. Same with the belt and tensioner.

Things that I have in the back of my head long term;
Air suspension issues. Swapping bags is easy enough, compressor trouble shooting can be a PITA.
Adaptive M suspension, $1500 a pop... KW V3 set would be an easy replacement, but I enjoy the ride in Comfort and the ability to kill some body roll if I want to put it in sport and drive like a knob.
Random electrical gremlins. I keep my batteries charged up with a trickle charger to help alleviate this issue.
Oil leaks around the filter housing gasket aswell as ball joints / end links ect.
This is my first vehicle with an electric power steering rack so hoping that will prove to live a long life.
Batteries. Hope I can get another year or two, but I will eventually replace them both.

My wife and I went down to one car as we have both been working from home for the past 12 months. While I still care about the car, I echo your sentiments about not worrying about something brand new. We put both our dogs in the back, take it down gravel roads, slog through 6 months of winter here and I cant ask for more.

I hope to keep it till at least 200K KM and I'll re-evaulate then.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 04:01 PM   #3
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

If you’re still content with the F15, and having addressed some of the more costly repairs, I would keep it. Candidly, the F15 is one of the best SAVs I have driven and remains a solid well-built platform for BMW. So, continue to drive and enjoy it. Like you wrote, won’t sweat any dings or scratches. I plan on keeping mine once it’s warranty expires too. I would rather put money towards repairs for a vehicle I sincerely enjoy driving, than towards a new car that I might not as enjoy as much as the F15. And, put off the worry that comes with a new car for a few more years.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2021, 12:20 PM   #4
MH20jy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner2009 View Post
Folks,

I have a 2014 X5 3.5 that I acquired as a CPO in 2017 -- three rows, always dealer maintained, in overall really nice condition and about 70K miles now. I drive ~7.5K miles/year max in a normal year (let's all forget about 2020). It has everything I want (even the heads up display), only thing missing that I'd like is the upgraded H&K sound but not huge deal for me.

I'm taking it into the dealer next week for its final service as part of the extended BWM maintenance program (unless anything else is off only due for an oil change and likely new wipers at this point, front and rear brakes replaced within about the last 10K miles and 2 years under this program).

The only problem I had with it (albeit very expensive) was addressing an engine seal leak (~$1K) and replacing the rear air suspension system which failed (rear shocks and compressor, about ~$4K) in summer 2019, or about 7.5K miles ago. I did have a sunroof leak during a massive rainstorm but the culprit was a clogged drain which I have since addressed and watching closely. One of the rear seat warmers has failed but the chance that I'll spend $1K to replace it so a kids' rump can be warm is zero -- I tell them, "try growing up in a mid-70s Datsun wagon."

It has about 2 years remaining on the wheel and tire warranty -- as I live in a city with massive potholes it's already paid for itself with a bent rim and damaged tire.

Interested in folks' experience with keeping these cars beyond this period, potential for other major maintenance/repair needs (to the extent anyone can predict such things) as I start to think about whether to keep it for a couple more years or move on. It feels like having tackled two of the more expensive and (relatively common) failures that getting more for my money so-to-speak would makes sense. It's also served my family very well, I like that living in a city I'm far less concerned about the occasional ding/scratch on an older car and the rear tailgate is a huge help in keeping kids' dirty cleats etc. out of the car. I also don't like the front grill in the newer model, personal preference.

Welcome any thoughts/guidance/experiences or things to look out for. Regular and proactive maintenance I'm all about and have no issues with, but known fail points or common issues to avoid would be good to know about.

Be safe all and thanks for the replies.
If you goes to dealer for everything, I would recommend get rid of it.
      01-14-2021, 12:51 PM   #5
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Keep it but find a local independent mechanic
Appreciate 1
jmack1231300.50
      01-14-2021, 02:02 PM   #6
wearenh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 x35i DHP

I have a 2015 with 99kmiles and I'm keeping mine.
  • It is setup just the way I want
  • It has DHP
  • It drives and feels new
  • Full detail every year is worthwhile
  • Had a rear air bag replaced $800
  • Had some ball joints and stuff
  • New front brakes

I thought about replacing it with a new G05
  • a little big (not fatal)
  • a little too much bling (not fatal)
  • no DHP available on 6 cyl (fatal) 8 cyl too expensive

Appreciate 0