BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-06-2021, 07:54 AM   #1
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 XDrive 40E IPerformance

X5 2016 edrive saving from wear and tear

Hi based on your service records which is the most suitable driving mode to protect the X5 2016 YOM from wear and tear of steering rack, rack ends, axles, gear box, shock absorbers and the engine. Also to increase the high voltage battery life.

1. Sports
2. Comfort or
3. Eco.

Sports has a very high engine resistance and shocks are hard.
Comfort is too shaky but like a cushion
Eco has the least drag.

Thanks
Kind regards,
      01-06-2021, 09:00 AM   #2
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Short trips (without engine reaching operating temperature) and stop and go traffic put the most wear/tear on your car.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 10:31 AM   #3
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

If you don't drive it-there is no wear and tear. Best way to do it.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 11:23 PM   #4
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
If you don't drive it-there is no wear and tear. Best way to do it.
No need of such advice in a forum like this.

Not a forum for comedians
      01-06-2021, 11:26 PM   #5
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Short trips (without engine reaching operating temperature) and stop and go traffic put the most wear/tear on your car.
Thanks I was looking more on how hard shock absorber setting on Sports mode impacts the suspension system with less movement.
      01-06-2021, 11:47 PM   #6
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamindab View Post

Where does it say comedians are not allowed here? And I am being serious, every item you mentioned is made to worn out as the car being driven. Shocks, steering, axles,engine all being used and worn as you drive, so if you worry so much about it-better keep it parked with charger attached to preserve the battery. I buy cars to drive them,not to preserve them. If you don't like the park the car option you can try to ditch RFTs,code Start/Stop option to be always off (will increase gas mileage) and slow down on the rough roads.Also read the manual about the sport modes so you better understand what they do and how it works.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 05:44 AM   #7
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamindab View Post

Where does it say comedians are not allowed here? And I am being serious, every item you mentioned is made to worn out as the car being driven. Shocks, steering, axles,engine all being used and worn as you drive, so if you worry so much about it-better keep it parked with charger attached to preserve the battery. I buy cars to drive them,not to preserve them. If you don't like the park the car option you can try to ditch RFTs,code Start/Stop option to be always off (will increase gas mileage) and slow down on the rough roads.Also read the manual about the sport modes so you better understand what they do and how it works.
The reason I asked the question is not to avoid wear and tear but to minimize. The cost of BMWs here is over USD 150k and a steering rack costs USD 13k or over. So one has to be careful as much as possible and use the vehicle too.
I am sorry for what I said. All I wanted to know was if shocks are hard like in the sports mode whether it will cause more strain on rack ends, axles, rack pinion etc.
Thanks
      01-10-2021, 09:06 PM   #8
campaign308
Rep
Drives: 08 X3

I’ve driven my 50i for almost 40k “sporty” miles and first thing I do when I hop in is put it in sport+. I have not noticed any difference in suspension, steering, or mechanical feeling since my first drive.

Some cars don’t like being baby’d, just like some women when playing house, they just like a little “abuse” every now and then. Just enjoy your vehicle and stop worrying about wear and tear and I’ll be much more enjoyable
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 09:28 PM   #9
corduroy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 xDrive40e (F15)

I don't think there's an optimal way to drive it without something eventually going wrong with basically any car.

I have only ~32k miles on my 40e and found out today that my rear pinion seal is leaking. Luckily it's covered. Plenty of people here have had their air bags go out without driving it hard or on bad roads.

I think you only have to worry about premature wear if you drive it under excessive conditions. Otherwise, try to relax and enjoy your car and drive it - reasonably.
Appreciate 0