BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-05-2018, 08:29 AM   #1
vastano
Captain
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

DIY: Rear (non-airbag) spring replacement

There's no DIY for this yet, so since I completed this this past weekend, I wanted to document it for the rest of you.

Disclaimer: This is only meant as a guide. I am not responsible for your actions or anything you do to your car or any damage or injury that might occur. Continue reading only if you agree.

Step 1.) Jack up car, add jackstand, remove wheel/tire.

Step 2.) Unbolt the shock. Both the bolt and the nut are 21mm. I used a 21mm socket on my impact and an adjustable wrench to hold the other side.

Step 3.) Disconnect Headlight leveling switch (drivers side only). Located near the sway bar end link bottom bolt. 1-10mm nut. I'm not sure if this is 100% needed, but I didnt want to have to buy a new one for the 30 seconds it takes to unbolt.

Step 4.) Disconnect Sway Bar End Link: 18mm open end wrench and T-25 Torx bit on underside of control arm

Step 5.) Pop off the rubber cap inside the spring. I used a pry bar and also a flathead screwdriver:

Step 6.) Place your pry bar under the spring. Gently pry the spring from the control arm and slowly pry it out. There is SOME tension on the spring, but not enough for it to shoot out of the wheel well.

Step 7.) Push down on the control arm and fish the spring out.

Step 8.) I re-installed Eibach Springs. Since theyre shorter, theyre much easier to reinstall. Make sure you line up the top of the spring with the center support upon installation. (sorry, no pics)

Step 9.) Jack up your control arm, reattach the shock, endlink and headlight switch.
Appreciate 2
      11-07-2018, 10:03 AM   #2
burnurass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i MSport

Awesome write up!

Gotta love easy rear spring changes
Appreciate 0