BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-27-2024, 07:00 PM   #1
Mspbcguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93

Random messages and it's not the main battery

Someone help me figure this out, please.
So about 2 weeks ago my '14 F15 started throwing messages at me and lit up the dash at completely random times. Some days I would get nothing and then they started coming up again. It was -25F windchill in MN and I just figured it was too cold for the car. Then it warmed up again but it was still acting up. So I checked the batteries. the main one was from 11/18 and the aux is original from 13. I did some research and found the aux is only supposed to be for the dynamic driving package and rear seating. I have an inexpensive battery tester and the main one tested good, while the read replace. So I went to the store and had the main one tested and was told it was good. I decided to get a new one anyway. I put it in a week ago and used protool to tell it I swapped it. Cleared the errors again and everything was fine until last night when I came home from work. I put the car in reverse and it just made a grinding noise and did not move. So today I scanned it again and got all those error codes from the first 5 pictures at 12.36 pm. I cleared the codes and when I rescanned, I got nothing besides the Blend flap motor that I knew was always there. I went for a short drive to the store about 1 mile away - Nothing. Started driving back home and got messages about Drivetrain Chassis malfunction Parking brake, ABS, and Pedestrian detection (That I don't think I even have according to a VIN decoder). I stopped the car, turned the ignition off, and back on and the messages disappeared. Drove back home and just when I put it in reverse all those messages showed up again!! While I was sitting there I watched them all disappear, and "All Systems OK". I scanned again with Protool and that's what the last 2 pictures from 2.04 pm are from.

Few things I know. The transfer case has a small sweep and I am going to change that oil next week since it might be low. (Does anyone know of a guide on how to fix this).2014 with 119K miles on it. I will go under the car tomorrow and look at the grounding strap to see if it's any good and replace the aux battery (even though it's not supposed to do anything but the dynamic and rear seat heaters) I just brought it in about 1500 miles ago to have it checked out and all issues they found was fluid and shocks related.

Any ideas on what to look for? I am handy when it comes to fixing stuff but I am stuck with troubleshooting that issue
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 06:43 AM   #2
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Have you searched your codes online.. and see what others are saying?

I did a quick search and some people with your same problem stated their VTG Module went bad. They replaced it and all issues fixed.
Appreciate 0