BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-16-2016, 09:13 PM   #1
zachzay
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Popping Sound from Tailgate

I have noticed off and on this popping sound coming from the tailgate area. Seems to only happen when I turn slowly or go over bumps fairly slow. Has anyone experienced this? It doesn't pop when travelling down a regular road and speed limit. Anyone figured out how to fix this?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 10:55 PM   #2
artem123
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachzay View Post
I have noticed off and on this popping sound coming from the tailgate area. Seems to only happen when I turn slowly or go over bumps fairly slow. Has anyone experienced this? It doesn't pop when travelling down a regular road and speed limit. Anyone figured out how to fix this?
7 trips to a dealer, engineer from BMW of NA called to diagnose, and it is still present. To be fair, after engineer from BMW head quarters did something, it went away for nearly 2 months, and now it is fully present again. I decided to just ignore it.
      05-17-2016, 12:33 AM   #3
sssmokie
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 M50i with DHP

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 M50i  [10.00]
2022 BMW X5 45e  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5 3.0D  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5 M50D  [8.66]
I have recently started experiencing the same. I am currently removing my luggage compartment accessories (secueing belt, net, etc) and trying to identify where the sound comes from. I just removed the belt and sound is considerably less. Maybe try checking all your storage compartments for.something. that's moving around.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 11:22 AM   #4
zachzay
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssmokie
I have recently started experiencing the same. I am currently removing my luggage compartment accessories (secueing belt, net, etc) and trying to identify where the sound comes from. I just removed the belt and sound is considerably less. Maybe try checking all your storage compartments for.something. that's moving around.
Which belt are you referring to?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 12:52 AM   #5
sssmokie
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 M50i with DHP

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 M50i  [10.00]
2022 BMW X5 45e  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5 3.0D  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5 M50D  [8.66]
It is an accessory that you buy separately and attaches to the integrated rails.in the trunk(I think they only.come.with some.kind of storage package). Maybe you don't have them, but was trying to point out that you should.start removing things from back there. I will personally sit in the trunk and have someone else drive one of these days as the popping is still present.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 01:18 AM   #6
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Xline with MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachzay View Post
Possible tailgate being misaligned. Check this link for details.
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=931886
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 01:04 PM   #7
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Have you checked both compartments at the side of rear cargo area? Or under the deck flap. I have a 3rd row, so I've got minimal storage in there...but maybe something is rolling around? My lock nut key was originally back there and I'd hear it roll left/right when turning.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 02:19 PM   #8
zachzay
Rep

Yes. I checked both of them and the luggage compartment. Nothing that was making noise. It has to do with the hitch I believe. Just trying to find a clear way to remedy the problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 12:50 PM   #9
zachzay
Rep

The noise is back severely. Has anyone found a clear cut solution?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 12:55 PM   #10
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Are these popping sound loud or soft? Do you have a video?

I get creaks when I go over speed bumps or uneven roads and it is due to the chassis flexing by the door area. Dealer tried to fix it by applying felt tape but it didn't help. From my experience this is very common with most BMW's
      05-25-2016, 03:24 PM   #11
Nonopr01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

In this kind of car there should be no creaks allowed. If possible I will put a complaint and hopefully will get it done or will fight for a buy back. Mine is all the time I am getting annoyed.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 05:28 PM   #12
BMW - BEKTAS
Private
Rep
Drives: X5M

Hi guys.

I had this problem for couple of days now. Before I didn't have problems. I lowered my X5 with front Eibach pro kit and back with coding to same level as front.
After two weeks of driving some noise started to come from the back. The noise was present almost all the time when the road was not so good. I figured it was coming from the drivers back side. It was really annoying.

I called my dealer and drove the car to service. The car was there for whole day and they did not find what is wrong.

While I was driving from my dealer home I called a guy who is mostly doing car body work. I went to his place and he started to empty most of the trunk stuff. All the side plastics and also lowered back seats. We went for a ride and he was sitting in the trunk. The noise was really coming from the back drivers side. And now the solution to my problem. When we opened trunk there are two plastics on corners from each side of the trunk. So two on the trunk and two on the body of the car. The problem was that on drivers side when the car was moving also trunk moved a bit and two plastics were rubbing on each other. You could see really small marks on plastic pieces. The piece on the car body has inside torx screw. When my guy released torx a bit he moved this plastic piece little and screwed torx back. And annoying sound disapeared. I also sprayed some silicone spray on all four plastic pieces.

Small thing but really annoying sound when driving. If you have questions I am here.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 10:15 AM   #13
Nonopr01
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.bektas
Hi guys.

I had this problem for couple of days now. Before I didn't have problems. I lowered my X5 with front Eibach pro kit and back with coding to same level as front.
After two weeks of driving some noise started to come from the back. The noise was present almost all the time when the road was not so good. I figured it was coming from the drivers back side. It was really annoying.

I called my dealer and drove the car to service. The car was there for whole day and they did not find what is wrong.

While I was driving from my dealer home I called a guy who is mostly doing car body work. I went to his place and he started to empty most of the trunk stuff. All the side plastics and also lowered back seats. We went for a ride and he was sitting in the trunk. The noise was really coming from the back drivers side. And now the solution to my problem. When we opened trunk there are two plastics on corners from each side of the trunk. So two on the trunk and two on the body of the car. The problem was that on drivers side when the car was moving also trunk moved a bit and two plastics were rubbing on each other. You could see really small marks on plastic pieces. The piece on the car body has inside torx screw. When my guy released torx a bit he moved this plastic piece little and screwed torx back. And annoying sound disapeared. I also sprayed some silicone spray on all four plastic pieces.

Small thing but really annoying sound when driving. If you have questions I am here.
Photo of the area will be great
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 01:56 PM   #14
BMW - BEKTAS
Private
Rep

Hi.

I hope this will help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
retx117.00
      05-29-2016, 09:31 PM   #15
zachzay
Rep

Quote:
Hi.

I hope this will help.
Took back to dealer. And I swear it is even worse. I need to figure this out on my own. Did it sound like a popping sound when you cornered the car and went over bumps? I took at look at the plastic piece on the driver side and it seems like there are abrasions on it. The passenger side one does not. Interesting. So what exactly did he do. He unscrewed something? I am not very good with this kind of stuff so if you could give as much detail it would be much appreciated. This has caused me a lot of grief. Looking for a solution has been impossible
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 03:32 AM   #16
BMW - BEKTAS
Private
Rep

Hi.

I would suggest that you first take off the side plastic piece. Take it off on both sides. And take a car for short drive. The annoying sound should be gone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 06:00 AM   #17
Smokejumper
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive35i

I just had a similar issue. It drove me crazy for over a month. After removing anything loose back there, I began to narrow down the possible causes myself, eliminating the obvious. Next, with my wife driving, I sat in the backseat and truck area to pin point the location. In my case, it was coming from the right (passenger side) corner just above the removable panel, though I could not say whether it was the side or the tailgate door. I took it to the dealer. They had the technician ride in the backseat with me while I drove so he could hear the noise. The guy heard it immediately and said he knew what to do. He did. In my case they removed all the back panels and insulated/buffered everything. The noise is gone.

I admit I didn't have high expectations when I brought it in based on previous experiences with Acura, but I am pleasantly surprised and love my car again.
Appreciate 1
retx117.00
      06-01-2016, 08:50 AM   #18
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

check your metal hooks. if not secured properly the click and knock on bumps or driving over curbs into driveways.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 10:22 AM   #19
zachzay
Rep

Quote:
Hi.

I would suggest that you first take off the side plastic piece. Take it off on both sides. And take a car for short drive. The annoying sound should be gone.
How do you remove this?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 04:31 PM   #20
Nonopr01
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hi.

Dont really understood your post.
What does goes up the round screw adjuster? If so i have tried different adjustments and still noise either all the way down and all the way up and also half way.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 06:06 PM   #21
BMW - BEKTAS
Private
Rep

Hi guys.

Try to find someone to help you with this. It's simple if you know what are you doing. The main thing in my case was that plastic was rubbing on plastic while driving. I could hear it more while cornering and bumpy road.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 06:30 PM   #22
Nonopr01
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hi guys.

Try to find someone to help you with this. It's simple if you know what are you doing. The main thing in my case was that plastic was rubbing on plastic while driving. I could hear it more while cornering and bumpy road.
Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0