BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-23-2016, 11:56 PM   #1
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Encounter with Biker

Just want to share. I hope any of you guys whom are bikers do respect others unlike these guys on the video.

I encountered them on Sunday, and the second rider smacked my sideview mirror.

Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 12:16 AM   #2
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Xline with MPPK

Besides not being on the road that day, I don't see any other way this could've been avoided. We can't fix stupid drivers/riders and there are plenty of the out there. Clearly, you had your turn signal activated and was in the process of changing lane. Good thing you have it recorded. Glad you kept your cool and didn't give chase.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 12:31 AM   #3
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

I'm sure there are many moto riders here and this may deteriorate into a big two vs four wheel debate, but here goes nothing.

I don't have an issue sharing the road with bicycles, motos, etc. It's when they want it both ways by disobeying stop signs/red lights (bicycles) or riding in-between lanes to get ahead of everyone else (motos). If I saw the vid correctly, that's what looked like happened. Weaving between lanes and then saw an opening while Ben was moving over then had to quickly correct. Don't get me wrong, I've seen many near misses where stupid/inattentive drivers almost tag a rider minding his/her own business, but blinkers on for a long time while slowly creeping over to change lanes equals overzealous riders vs Ben's fault IMO.
      05-24-2016, 07:21 AM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I do not see why they had a reason to do that. You moved out of the way.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 07:38 AM   #5
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

this is typical in our area as well... it gained nationwide coverage a while back when a motorist was beaten nearly to death in front of his family.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 08:06 AM   #6
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

^^ are you referring to the incident on the west side highway in NY?

I would have done the same thing if i was the driver of that SUV except i wouldn't have exited the highway and stayed on the road with the cops on the phone. Those idiots completely took over the highway stopping traffic doing stunts showboating to people. If you threaten my family then I would do whatever it takes to get them out of the situation even if it includes running a couple of them over.
      05-24-2016, 08:06 AM   #7
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

No excuse for that.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 08:15 AM   #8
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

Maybe I watched a different video. In California it is legal to split lanes with a motorcycle. It seems to me the poster cut the first bike off when he changed lanes. He should of waited to let them pass and then changed lanes. I understand bikes are smaller and harder to see but because you have the lane splitting law, an unsafe law in my opinion, you must be hyper vigilant. Also, I think the second bike was out of line smacking the mirror. That was uncalled for.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 08:27 AM   #9
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuera09
Besides not being on the road that day, I don't see any other way this could've been avoided. We can't fix stupid drivers/riders and there are plenty of the out there. Clearly, you had your turn signal activated and was in the process of changing lane. Good thing you have it recorded. Glad you kept your cool and didn't give chase.
I would've chase them, but the traffic was creeping so they have the advantage of splitting lanes and far gone.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 08:35 AM   #10
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbera335
Maybe I watched a different video. In California it is legal to split lanes with a motorcycle. It seems to me the poster cut the first bike off when he changed lanes. He should of waited to let them pass and then changed lanes. I understand bikes are smaller and harder to see but because you have the lane splitting law, an unsafe law in my opinion, you must be hyper vigilant. Also, I think the second bike was out of line smacking the mirror. That was uncalled for.
Maybe you watched a different video.
It is legal for bikers to lane splitting in California.
If you watched my video again, I have turned on my signal light way before even they were visible from my view. And when they appear, I was midway completing my lane change and even completed my lane change when the first rider passed me.
And also, I have my blinker on the whole time. Unless they are illegal rider who doesn't know the road signs and/or car indicators, then they shouldn't even ride. They should've slowed down when they see someone is doing a lane change.
A car has more blind spots than motorcycle. A car has limited maneuverability than motorcycle. A car will take more distance to stop than a motorcycle. That's a simple physic difference berween the two. Bikers should understand it and respect the law of physic. Because lastly, a car can hurt you more than a bike can hurt you when unfortunate things happened.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 08:45 AM   #11
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
^^ are you referring to the incident on the west side highway in NY?

I would have done the same thing if i was the driver of that SUV except i wouldn't have exited the highway and stayed on the road with the cops on the phone. Those idiots completely took over the highway stopping traffic doing stunts showboating to people. If you threaten my family then I would do whatever it takes to get them out of the situation even if it includes running a couple of them over.
yes i am and i agree... i would have continued to the bridge where PAPD could intervene and defuse the situation but easy for us to comment after the fact. i am sure he was not thinking clearly and panicked.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 08:53 AM   #12
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
this is typical in our area as well... it gained nationwide coverage a while back when a motorist was beaten nearly to death in front of his family.
I did not hear about this. Do you have a link?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 09:10 AM   #13
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
the group actually harass the family, and vandalize the range rover.
if im not mistaken i believe there were also undercover cops in bike group.

Appreciate 1
      05-24-2016, 09:14 AM   #14
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

^^ Yes. They surrounded the car and started banging on it. Thats when the driver floored it and ran over 1 or 2 to try to escape. They caught up to him when he exited the highway, smashed his window and dragged him out to the ground while beating him in front of his wife and kid.
      05-24-2016, 09:35 AM   #15
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Lane splitting is just stupid IMO. Too many opps for issues like this vid. If you're going to allow something like this in the name of traffic flow efficiency, why not allow drunk lane use instead? At least it's 100% predictable for all involved. Motos can drift into/use the shoulder/emergency lane. That way drivers always know where to look vs having to worry about a lane splitter weaving in and out at speeds higher than what traffic is currently flowing at, as in this example (5mph).
      05-24-2016, 09:40 AM   #16
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
^^ Yes. They surrounded the car and started banging on it. Thats when the driver floored it and ran over 1 or 2 to try to escape. They caught up to him when he exited the highway, smashed his window and dragged him out to the ground while beating him in front of his wife and kid.
I wouldve done the same being in same situation. Look how many bikers were around him and behind him.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 09:40 AM   #17
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

I think they just recently amended the law.
Instead of legally lane splitting at up to posted speed limit, not they changed it to 5mph above traffic speed.
Which is ok when you are going 55mph, the +5mph is not that much different.
But when you are on creeping up traffic condition, that +5mph is really fast.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 09:47 AM   #18
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Is that 2 separate cameras recording or 1?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #19
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90
Is that 2 separate cameras recording or 1?
2 channel dashcam. 1 front camera and 1 rear camera.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2016, 10:27 AM   #20
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Ben, glad you are fine. You can fix anything except death as my 82 year old father says; certainly a mirror.

When one chases an idiot, what does one expect to find? Glad you didn't.

I can clearly hear your turn signal and you had left more than ample room for the second rider. He hit you on purpose, and that you can see given the room he had, and how he maneuvered towards and then away from you.

You can see how his handlebar is in your lane, has his right hand is off his handle so he can hit you without injuring himself.

Finally swerves away.

Last edited by MattBianco; 05-24-2016 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2016, 10:32 AM   #21
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
thankfully there has been a bit of a crackdown on this but seeing illegal motorcycles and large groups taking over areas isn't exactly an isolated instance these days.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/04/...ngs-crackdown/
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 10:42 AM   #22
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

I think the biker with Ben's incident has to do with many incidents that "biker" had int he past and is just taking frustration on the nice X5... If you look at many of the biker gopro videos on youtube they love to complain how car drivers are idiots and they don't know how to drive even though they break numerous laws themselves.

Here is a perfect example here featuring an X5M as his title lol.

With the NYC incident it is just gang mentality.. brotherhood sticking and standing up for one another. Again lot of the bikers have the car drivers suck mentality as well.