BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-01-2014, 02:13 AM   #1
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe

X5/x6 vs range rover sport

So I've owned a 335i extremely modified so I love BMW and what they can do. Right now I have a dabbe rover evoque.
But I want to hear what you guys have to say about a new RR sport vs a x5 or x6

Pros? Cons?

Let me hear it
      07-01-2014, 07:08 AM   #2
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted07Duramax View Post
So I've owned a 335i extremely modified so I love BMW and what they can do. Right now I have a dabbe rover evoque.
But I want to hear what you guys have to say about a new RR sport vs a x5 or x6

Pros? Cons?

Let me hear it
Here's a post where I went into some detail of my decision and comparison to RRS and some other trucks..

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=999985

Basically, the RR has the X5 in offroad capabilities; I think most would agree there. Add an interior design package to the X5 and it's as nice as the RRS inside. The technology on the RRS is from the stone age compared to the X5 (and my other car is a Jag, so I'm used to it, but the X5 just totally blows the RRS out of the water in this regard). The RRS cannot be leased by anyone who's sane with money, the lease payment for a similar MSRP will be 50%+ higher than a comparable X5. The supercharged RRS is incredible, but, OMG is it thirsty; I was getting single digits when driving it "hard" but not "insane". The X5 feels "sportier" even though the RRS is faster.

I'm happy to help answer any specific questions. I had the RRS for a few days during an extended test drive (the benefits of spending way too much on cars, dealers will just chuck you the keys and tell you to "bring her back in a few days".. I could probably timeshare a Ferrari for how much that "benefit" winds up costing me).
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
mrwilby
Private
Rep
Drives: Q7, X5

Appreciate 1
      07-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

I too looked at the RR Sport before I picked up my new X5. Because I purchase and not lease (put too many miles on annually), I couldn't justify the rather high sell price and a re-sale value that drops like a boat anchor. I agree with the technology edge going to BMW, the electronics are far superior and state of the art. Every buyer is different, so be sure to drive both and weigh the options on your own.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 04:36 AM   #5
Nkbm82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 750i

I shopped the RRS Supercharged before deciding on my x50i. The rover nav/infotainment system is subpar compared to the x5. I also felt more cramped in the rear seat of the Rover. The reliability of Rovers is also poor. Another and quite major downside was the 6 month wait for a RRS at that time. The higher lease payment was not a factor in my decision. I'm very happy with my choice and don't regret not getting the RRS.

With all that said, in all likelihood my next vehicle will be a full size Range Rover Supercharged because I just love it's looks and road presence.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

I had an E71 X6 (prematurely taken from me in May ) and have an F16 on order. Since I had so much lead time between losing one X6 and being able to obtain another, I used the time to shop other cars.

Two that I looked at that were seriously in the running were the Macan and the Evoque. If I got something other than an X6 I wanted it to be smaller.

For a car in the same price range, the Macan was an awesome ride in every way Except -- their electronics seemed like they were two generations behind everyone else. I just couldn't deal with that no matter how great the car drove or the quality of the interior because the electronics are one of the things I liked best about my car. XX on the Macan.

The Evoque was also an great ride. I loved how it handled and to me, the engine seemed more powerful than the 35i that I had in my X6. That is probably because it weighs maybe 1k lbs less. Whether it had more horsepower or not, it's engine moved the car more zippy than mine. What didn't I like? The shifter was weird. It was like using the idrive controller to shift. The backup camera was kind of sucky. The rest of the electronics were behind BMWs, but not nearly as bad as the Porsche. Those were things that I would have been willing to trade off for the $20k price difference. The deal breaker for me is that the RR dealer in Austin is downtown. Oh. My. Gosh. The BMW dealer is about 5mi from my house. So yes, I'm paying 20k more for a car because I'm lazy and don't like traffic. It certainly helps that the car I'm getting is more awesome (and has a better warranty and reliability). XX on my RR dealer (not so much on the Evoque).

To sum it up, if the Porsche, RR and BMW dealers were lined up in a row 5mi from my house, I would not buy a Macan but I probably would buy an Evoque. It's way cute and the non-performance related differences to the X6 that I would be giving up were acceptable given the price difference. It seems ridiculous that I'd be buying a RR because its more economical -- who does that!?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

That video is an apple to pineapples comparison. For US buyers the Rover is not available in diesel. But the review overall is very fair and balanced.

That said, I configured a RRS with the features on my X5 and it came out $6k cheaper. RRS has fewer options and packages in the US market, and if you want save a few dollars and have the same bells and whistles, RRS might be the way to go.

Last edited by MattBianco; 09-05-2014 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
I had an E71 X6 (prematurely taken from me in May ) and have an F16 on order. Since I had so much lead time between losing one X6 and being able to obtain another, I used the time to shop other cars.

Two that I looked at that were seriously in the running were the Macan and the Evoque. If I got something other than an X6 I wanted it to be smaller.

For a car in the same price range, the Macan was an awesome ride in every way Except -- their electronics seemed like they were two generations behind everyone else. I just couldn't deal with that no matter how great the car drove or the quality of the interior because the electronics are one of the things I liked best about my car. XX on the Macan.

The Evoque was also an great ride. I loved how it handled and to me, the engine seemed more powerful than the 35i that I had in my X6. That is probably because it weighs maybe 1k lbs less. Whether it had more horsepower or not, it's engine moved the car more zippy than mine. What didn't I like? The shifter was weird. It was like using the idrive controller to shift. The backup camera was kind of sucky. The rest of the electronics were behind BMWs, but not nearly as bad as the Porsche. Those were things that I would have been willing to trade off for the $20k price difference. The deal breaker for me is that the RR dealer in Austin is downtown. Oh. My. Gosh. The BMW dealer is about 5mi from my house. So yes, I'm paying 20k more for a car because I'm lazy and don't like traffic. It certainly helps that the car I'm getting is more awesome (and has a better warranty and reliability). XX on my RR dealer (not so much on the Evoque).

To sum it up, if the Porsche, RR and BMW dealers were lined up in a row 5mi from my house, I would not buy a Macan but I probably would buy an Evoque. It's way cute and the non-performance related differences to the X6 that I would be giving up were acceptable given the price difference. It seems ridiculous that I'd be buying a RR because its more economical -- who does that!?
An evoque? My wife has one.
No comparison with the quality of a BMW especial WRT quality of interior and the ride and it's got a pi** poor UI.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

RR, to me, is still like a hot chick with STD's. Looks so good, but too risky. I'm not going to pretend BMW has Honda-like reliability, but Rovers just scare me. Especially since the the X5 is for my wife and kids.

The new RRS wasn't out yet when we ordered our X5, but I flirted with the old one twice and twice decided it was a bad idea, choosing an E70 X5 4.8i (for me )over the RRS Supercharged back in 2007, and an ML350 (for my wife) over a RRS HSE in 2010. Both times, the reliability scared me, and when I chose the E70, it was actually more based on performance and handling. Both were fast, too close to care (I think the X5 was faster but both were fast, at the time, for heavy SUV's). But the RRS felt far more like a truck than the commercials want you to believe, was not nearly as well planted and felt top heavy, way too much body roll, by comparison to the X5 4.8 with sport package.

Again, this was compared to the old model not the current, but those STD's were in the back of my mind both times
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 07:22 PM   #10
Bigtop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 M50i

I had a 2011 E70 5.0i loaded and was getting ready to hand it in. I thought I would really want the RRS 5.0i Supercharged. I went and test drove one. I thought the interior was superior to the E70, the performance was about the same, I really could not tell the difference when putting my foot down in both. The RRS felt more like a truck than the E70.

I had not driven the F15 50i. I went to the dealership, sat in the smaller engined version and felt the interior slightly inferior to the RRS. The demo F15 model did not have much in upgrades. However, the technology in the F15 left the RRS way behind.

I decided to order a fully loaded F15 5.0i M Sport (only things I did not get are 3rd row seat, night vision, B&O sound system).

Quite simply a fully loaded F15 5.0i M Sport blows the RRS Supercharged out of the water. The performance is simply staggering compared to the E70 50i and RRS Supercharged. 4.3 secs 0-60mph!!! The handling with adaptive drive etc., way ahead of the RRS. With the Nappa leather everything and comfort seats, I think the interior of the F15 is better.

Where the RRS Supercharged will beat the F15 50i M Sport is offroad.
Appreciate 0