BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #1
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

2015 X5D M Sport, mods, coding and pics

So we've had our X5D for a few weeks. Our last SUV was a 2012 X5 35i M Sport with the M Sport suspension. All I can say is what a difference between the E70 and F15. The F15 is more car like, smoother, quieter and better handling.

Alpine white
Mocha design interior
Aluminum Hexagon Trim
M Sport Pkg
Cold weather
Driver assistance pkg
Driver assist plus
Lighting Pkg
Luxury seating Pkg
Premium Pkg
20" M Light wheels
Adaptive M suspension 2VF
Space saver spare
Rear manual shades
HK sound

For the Mods-

Black performance grils
Euro lower grils
Xpel Ultimate clear bra
3M FX 20% tint
BMW floor liners
Invisihitch
Gtechniq paint coating, C1 and EXO top coat
Continental DWS staggered 20"

Coding -

No Dazzle high beams (euro spec)
Variable light distribution (euro spec)
Increased speed on seat cooling fans
Enabled fog lights with high beams
Door handle lights on while I reverse
Lowered active blind spot speed to 17 mph
Disabled legal disclaimers in Idrive and cameras
DVD in motion
Tire pressure and temp displayed
HUD turn signals
Decreased sensitivity on RLS
Increased dimming of side view mirrors
M splash screen added in idrive
open/close window with Key fob and comfort access
open/close side mirrors with key fob and comfort access
Doors unlock with engine stop
Rear hatch open and close with door switch and key fob
Decreased low fuel warning level
Enabled OGG, XVID, and VCD video formats
Lane departure in HUD

Now for the eye candy....

Appreciate 1
      09-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Nice X5 and detailed info, Shawn! Your car looks great . Any headway/progress on the adaptive headlight coding since our last convo?
      09-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
vadriver
Private
Rep
Drives: suv

Looks fantastic. Build is very close to what we are getting in Spartanburg Monday. I plan on doing the Xpel on the bumper, leaning toward not doing the opticoat or equal. Did you do the lower bumper inserts DIY? Like that look. Kinda hard to compare the black Grills from the pic but the black looks good. Coming from a V8, hope it doesnt feel too slow. Also going to try to find someone in VA area to help code some of those things so that list is valuable too

thanks for posting
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #4
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
Nice X5 and detailed info, Shawn! Your car looks great . Any headway/progress on the adaptive headlight coding since our last convo?
Thanks Omar!

Yep, I removed 5AP and 8S4 from the VO. Then I VO coded the following ECU's BDC_BODY, KAFAS, HU_NBT, TMS 1 and TMS 2. The TMS ecu's actually control the left and right headlights. I VO coded these on my car so I tried it on the X5 and it fully works as intended now. I think a lot of the others posting how they coded it, may not have the system fully working. I'll try and shoot some video of it in action.
      09-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadriver
Looks fantastic. Build is very close to what we are getting in Spartanburg Monday. I plan on doing the Xpel on the bumper, leaning toward not doing the opticoat or equal. Did you do the lower bumper inserts DIY? Like that look. Kinda hard to compare the black Grills from the pic but the black looks good. Coming from a V8, hope it doesnt feel too slow. Also going to try to find someone in VA area to help code some of those things so that list is valuable too

thanks for posting
Thanks, you'll love your new X!
      09-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@skalberti, nice details.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 09:25 PM   #7
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
Thanks Omar!

Yep, I removed 5AP and 8S4 from the VO. Then I VO coded the following ECU's BDC_BODY, KAFAS, HU_NBT, TMS 1 and TMS 2. The TMS ecu's actually control the left and right headlights. I VO coded these on my car so I tried it on the X5 and it fully works as intended now. I think a lot of the others posting how they coded it, may not have the system fully working. I'll try and shoot some video of it in action.
Awesome, so VO coding those FOLDERS will fix everything (right click and click CODE)? Can you list in details what needs to be done to match your results if I am off with anything in my understanding. Thanks!
      09-04-2014, 09:32 PM   #8
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Omar!

Awesome, so VO coding those FOLDERS will fix everything (right click and click CODE)? Can you list in details what needs to be done to match your results if I am off with anything in my understanding. Thanks!
Do you have the VO coding PDF? It lists step by step how to VO code. Then just remove the 5AP and 8S4 from the VO and then right click on the ECU itself, not the cafd folder underneath and then click code.
      09-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #9
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Do you have the VO coding PDF? It lists step by step how to VO code. Then just remove the 5AP and 8S4 from the VO and then right click on the ECU itself, not the cafd folder underneath and then click code.
Yeah, I know how to do all that from the pdf we spoke about before . I just haven't looked at all the folders so I wasn't sure if TMS 1 and TMS 2 were ECU folders or hidden somewhere else. Thanks again, my friend.
      09-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #10
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I know how to do all that from the pdf we spoke about before . I just haven't looked at all the folders so I wasn't sure if TMS 1 and TMS 2 were ECU folders or hidden somewhere else. Thanks again, my friend.
No problem Omar. If you have the LED headlights you'll see the TMS ecu's listed in your SVT tree. They're in alphabetical order so they'll be close to the end.
      09-04-2014, 10:29 PM   #11
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No problem Omar. If you have the LED headlights you'll see the TMS ecu's listed in your SVT tree. They're in alphabetical order so they'll be close to the end.
Sounds good. I don't have LED headlights, but I just wanted to know the coding information to help others in case someone asked me.
      09-05-2014, 08:35 AM   #12
jpsjr70
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5M

Nice build Shawn! Identical to mine except the Hex Aluminium which I really think looks nicer than the Pureline Wood I choose. If you code do you lose it when you go to service? Lots of luck with it. Enjoy!

Joe
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #13
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Nice clean X5

One thing I dislike and maybe it is just me or the angle of the pictures but there seems to be a huge gap in the wheel well...

Would you be able to comment the differences ( feel & driving characteristics ) between DHP handling and Adaptive M suspension 2VF handling features?

Since you had Msport suspension on the previous E70 and the current F15 any differences in them as well or does it feel similar? Thanks for your feedback.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #14
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks!

Compared to our 2012 X5 35i with the passive M Sport suspension. The F15 D pulls harder, is much faster while passing on the interstate, is quieter, handles a lot better without all the harshness and jerking of the E70 passive suspension. When you put it in sport it firms up quite a bit and handles very well, but it still handles pretty well in comfort. I'm sure the DHP is better, but compared to our E70 the ride and suspension on the F15 is a huge upgrade and I didn't want to spend $3500 on something my wife wouldn't use. Also the DWS are going to hurt handling a tad. So far this is leaps and bounds better than our 35i especially getting 8 mpg more in the city and 10 mpg more on the hwy than our 35i. 24/33 is what we're getting now. My only complaint is the steering, it's too easy. Almost like driving an old Cadillac. I miss the hydraulic steering.
      09-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #15
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsjr70
Nice build Shawn! Identical to mine except the Hex Aluminium which I really think looks nicer than the Pureline Wood I choose. If you code do you lose it when you go to service? Lots of luck with it. Enjoy!

Joe
Thanks!, my wife actually picked the hexagon. I didn't think I would like it, but when we saw it I really like the modern look it gives.

You may lose the coding, but it only takes a few minutes to put it back.
      09-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #16
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Congrats! The car looks great.

@jpsjr70 You'll only lose coding if a module that requires updating is actually updated with new software. When the dealer connects the ISTA/P tool it'll scan the ECUs in the car and prompt for those that need updates. Sometimes they'll update the entire tree. Other times they won't since the process can be incredibly slow. Typically, they'll just address a module that corresponds to a customer complaint, like navigation.

There are tools out there to do diffs between .caf files generated when coding. I use these to compare my coding before and after any dealer service just so I don't forget anything.
      09-06-2014, 12:38 AM   #17
Dataready
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

Quote:
Coding -

1- Door handle lights on while I reverse
2- Lowered active blind spot speed to 17 mph
3- Increased dimming of side view mirrors
Congrats! Very nice ride.

I have done very much the same coding on mine, 2015 X5 except for the three items above. What did you do for #1 ? I did the BDC_BODY 3070 OVT_BEI_RUECKFAHERLICHT from nicht_aktiv to aktiv but did not work. Any idea what needs to be done on this?

For 2 and 3 I did not see the note in any cheat sheet, can you send me the module and the line editing needed. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 12:47 AM   #18
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dataready View Post
Congrats! Very nice ride.

I have done very much the same coding on mine, 2015 X5 except for the three items above. What did you do for #1 ? I did the BDC_BODY 3070 OVT_BEI_RUECKFAHERLICHT from nicht_aktiv to aktiv but did not work. Any idea what needs to be done on this?

For 2 and 3 I did not see the note in any cheat sheet, can you send me the module and the line editing needed. Thanks
Make sure you coded the right one. There's a lot of them that look similar. That's the exact same code I took from r33's cheat sheet and it coded just fine. Make sure you saved it then FDL coded.
      09-06-2014, 12:58 AM   #19
Dataready
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Make sure you coded the right one. There's a lot of them that look similar. That's the exact same code I took from r33's cheat sheet and it coded just fine. Make sure you saved it then FDL coded.
I bulk coded a few things in BDC_BODY at the same time, including the revers light on handles. They all worked except the reverse light
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 01:48 AM   #20
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dataready View Post
I bulk coded a few things in BDC_BODY at the same time, including the revers light on handles. They all worked except the reverse light
Did you code

BDC_BODY 3070 OVT_BEI_RUECKFAHRKICHT -> Aktiv ?

Here's a cheat sheet for the F15
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 02:34 AM   #21
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Did you code

BDC_BODY 3070 OVT_BEI_RUECKFAHRKICHT -> Aktiv ?

Here's a cheat sheet for the F15
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
For some reason your link didn't paste correctly, so I'm reposting it for him in case: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...9s4/edit#gid=0
      09-06-2014, 04:04 AM   #22
ljxrayman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 M Sport Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti
Quote:
Thanks Omar!

Wow, I love you bro! Works like a charm!!
Have been looking for coding this features for months...finally...God...
Appreciate 0