01-28-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
Dinan-M
Dinan-M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Garage List
BMW X5M F85 Design Question to M-Group

So I sent an e-mail to BMW M division back in Germany, and asked why the new 2015 X5 M (F85) look so much like the 2014 F15 X5 M-Sport. After driving the 2013 E70 X5 M, I wanted something that would set the two SAVs apart. Looking at the two models... makes me want to re-think my purchase of 2015 X5M. So the reply I got back is listed below? I think it's too late for any changes and I feel it will look similar to X5 M-Sport, just the quad exhaust will be the difference. I feel, if enough of us that are dis satisfied with the new look of the X5M, or why it looks so much the same should let it be known to BMW M Division, before the final product is release.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Jan 27, 2014 5:44 AM
Subject: AW: The New 2015 X5M
To:
Cc:

Dear John,

Thank you for your passionate interest in our products. So far we have launched the new X5 and it’s M-Sport pack and have received quite favourable reviews, M products have not been communicated yet.

Our Design-philosophy is a clear differentiation between each model-line. However, in our prototypes we try to disguise design features as much as possible.

Therefore I think one should not read too much into spyshots of prototypes and I think we shape the same beliefs on and passion for the BMW brand!

Very best regards,

Adrian van Hooydonk.

------------------------------------------
BMW Group
Regina Bäuml
P.A. to Adrian van Hooydonk
Department ED
Phone: +49-89-382-42220 <tel:%2B49-89-382-42220>
Fax: +49-89-382-46150 <tel:%2B49-89-382-46150>
mailto: regina.baeuml@bmw.de
http://www.bmwgroup.com
Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft
Vorstand: Norbert Reithofer, Vorsitzender, Milagros Caiña Carreiro-Andree, Herbert Diess, Klaus Draeger, Friedrich Eichiner,Harald Krüger, Ian Robertson, Peter Schwarzenbauer.
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Joachim Milberg Sitz und Registergericht: München HRB 42243
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Cool. The man himself.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Cool. The man himself.
Impressive.

Most of the high performance SUV variants do not look vastly different from the lower models unless you know how to spot the differences. SRT8, and AMG63 come to mind.

I think many like driving a beastly SUV/SAV that is not too flashy.

What SUV would you go after if its not the X5M?
      01-31-2014, 07:20 PM   #4
Dinan-M
Dinan-M
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 X5m F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Bimmer View Post
Impressive.

Most of the high performance SUV variants do not look vastly different from the lower models unless you know how to spot the differences. SRT8, and AMG63 come to mind.

I think many like driving a beastly SUV/SAV that is not too flashy.

What SUV would you go after if its not the X5M?
I would still get the X5M...I love this vehicle. I just want them to make a clear distinction between the two from the outside. I know the engine will be great. One thing about most M drivers we don't want to just look standard. Remember, I said most. this is why we pay the extra money for what we want because we feel we're in a different League.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 10:33 PM   #5
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Like the email said, don't rely on spy shots of disguised test vehicles. You can always cancel when it comes in if you're not satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 10:36 PM   #6
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan-M
this is why we pay the extra money for what we want because we feel we're in a different League.
Whatever makes you feel good about yourself... And there I thought "most" people that bought ///M cars did so for performance reasons
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 12:34 PM   #7
Dinan-M
Dinan-M
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Performance is key, as we all know. However, a M driver feel we're in another leauge .If we wanted standard we would just buy X5 M Sport! Many people cannot own a M car but dream of one day of owning one. Don't get me wrong, I too stsrted out at 318i back in 1989. Since then I have always upgraded each year till I own my first M car and it's a totally different drive. Once you go M you cannot go back to your standard BMW. A M driver will pay that extra 20k to get what they want. They will not buy a X5M Sport a feel they have a M car! This is what set apart a true M driver from a standard BMW driver. Not saying all M driver feel this way, but most do and will not tell you ...so not to seem like an Ass *@#$
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 08:05 AM   #8
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

No-one buys an M sport thinking they have an ///M. No-one is pretending to be in your 'league.' Some of us buy these "trucks" for our wives and don't feel the need for 400+ hp in a car intended primarily to drive our children around.

Enjoy your delusions. Those of us spending a mere 60 - 110k on our 'regular' X5's promise not to breath on you. FYI, we're still talking about BMW's, not Porsche 918 Hybrid's (google it).

Last edited by chrisny; 02-05-2014 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #9
Dinan-M
Dinan-M
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
No-one buys an M sport thinking they have an ///M. No-one is pretending to be in your 'league.' Some of us buy these "trucks" for our wives and don't feel the need for 400+ hp in a car intended primarily to drive our children around.

Enjoy your delusions. Those of us spending a mere 60 - 110k on our 'regular' X5's promise not to breath on you. FYI, we're still talking about BMW's, not Porsche 918 Hybrid's (google it).
LTC,

I agree. Enjoy your BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #10
MonacoJoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M - Carbon Blk

don't buy it for the looks. buy it because its an angry angry beast that likes to eat prius...s...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 05:01 PM   #11
XZeb
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan-M View Post
So I sent an e-mail to BMW M division back in Germany, and asked why the new 2015 X5 M (F85) look so much like the 2014 F15 X5 M-Sport. After driving the 2013 E70 X5 M, I wanted something that would set the two SAVs apart. Looking at the two models... makes me want to re-think my purchase of 2015 X5M. So the reply I got back is listed below? I think it's too late for any changes and I feel it will look similar to X5 M-Sport, just the quad exhaust will be the difference. I feel, if enough of us that are dis satisfied with the new look of the X5M, or why it looks so much the same should let it be known to BMW M Division, before the final product is release.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Jan 27, 2014 5:44 AM
Subject: AW: The New 2015 X5M
To:
Cc:

Dear John,

Thank you for your passionate interest in our products. So far we have launched the new X5 and it’s M-Sport pack and have received quite favourable reviews, M products have not been communicated yet.

Our Design-philosophy is a clear differentiation between each model-line. However, in our prototypes we try to disguise design features as much as possible.

Therefore I think one should not read too much into spyshots of prototypes and I think we shape the same beliefs on and passion for the BMW brand!

Very best regards,

Adrian van Hooydonk.

BMW Group
Regina Bäuml
P.A. to Adrian van Hooydonk
Department ED
Phone: +49-89-382-42220 <tel:%2B49-89-382-42220>
Fax: +49-89-382-46150 <tel:%2B49-89-382-46150>
mailto: regina.baeuml@bmw.de
http://www.bmwgroup.com
Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft
Vorstand: Norbert Reithofer, Vorsitzender, Milagros Caiña Carreiro-Andree, Herbert Diess, Klaus Draeger, Friedrich Eichiner,Harald Krüger, Ian Robertson, Peter Schwarzenbauer.
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Joachim Milberg Sitz und Registergericht: München HRB 42243
Philosophically - we made a meal of the new design trying to make it more like the BMW family (ie uglier like x3, x1) but hey sh:%?! happens so it's not a problem. The punters will buy it anyway. Throw in some glam marketing and no one will notice after a while. The boss is back ! blah blah , it has a real presence blah blah !

Why have I only seen one on the street in London so far ? Are sales that bad ? For a place with so many X5 fans - you see one on just about every corner -you'd expect to see a lot more of new models by now 3-4 months after release. What's happening ?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #12
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XZeb
Why have I only seen one on the street in London so far ? Are sales that bad ? For a place with so many X5 fans - you see one on just about every corner -you'd expect to see a lot more of new models by now 3-4 months after release. What's happening ?
Demand certainly isn't the issue. They can't keep up with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 10:24 PM   #13
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:

Ohhh damn... Told him to "google it". Anyways, to say that the reason behind buying an M is for the showmanship is pretty darn weak in my opinion. Here I was thinking Ms were still for those who love driving, but then again I've never been a fan of the whole "M SUV" proposition, nor do I understand the need for one.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 12:34 AM   #14
Dinan-M
Dinan-M
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
Ohhh damn... Told him to "google it". Anyways, to say that the reason behind buying an M is for the showmanship is pretty darn weak in my opinion. Here I was thinking Ms were . ill for those who love driving, but then again I've never been a fan of the whole "M SUV" proposition, nor do I understand the need for one.
Is the real issue ...you can not afford it! That statement make me so sick I would of or I could have!@#$. First drive a M car before you add ur two cents! Then maybe someone will listen. Don't get mad...just get a M car
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 12:43 AM   #15
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Is the real issue ...you can not afford it! That statement make me so sick I would of or I could have!@#$. First drive a M car before you add ur two cents! Then maybe someone will listen. Don't get mad...just get a M car
Hahaha. Either you're joking or you must be blind. Here's mine:

And before you keep making yourself look even worse by running your mouth about what other vehicle I should get or can't afford, take a peek here:http://YouTube.com/twitchmassacres

You're a sad little person. The scum of forums like these. Have a good one.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 12:48 AM   #16
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:

Can I have a P1 instead please. Those give me wood.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 02:36 AM   #17
Dinan-M
Dinan-M
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hahaha. Either you're joking or you must be blind. Here's mine:

And before you keep making yourself look even worse by running your mouth about what other vehicle I should get or can't afford, take a peek here:http://YouTube.com/twitchmassacres

You're a sad little person. The scum of forums like these. Have a good one.
The scum is next to you or when you look in mirror. Anyone can post pictures.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 06:12 AM   #18
stupordave
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Where did this thread go so wrong? But back on point, a more subtle tweak in appearance seems to be the norm for all car makers....SRT Cherokee, Turbo S Cayenne, Mustang Cobra, SQ5...etc. can't think of one performance version that looks drastically different. If they popped on too many flares and nostrils, it would like someone had a revolving charge account at Autozone. Loved the X5M for its power and comfort but that new baby Porsche Turbo ute seems to be drawing me in.
      02-09-2014, 08:21 AM   #19
Dinan-M
Dinan-M
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupordave View Post
Where did this thread go so wrong? But back on point, a more subtle tweak in appearance seems to be the norm for all car makers....SRT Cherokee, Turbo S Cayenne, Mustang Cobra, SQ5...etc. can't think of one performance version that looks drastically different. If they popped on too many flares and nostrils, it would like someone had a revolving charge account at Autozone. Loved the X5M for its power and comfort but that new baby Porsche Turbo ute seems to be drawing me in.
Thanks, for keeping it about the X5M and for a great comment. The personal comment are not called for...So I will keep it about the issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 08:22 AM   #20
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
The scum is next to you or when you look in mirror. Anyone can post pictures.
Like you said, anyone can post pictures, which is why I, unlike you, provided video. Very convenient of you to ignore it (safety blanket?). But no worries, I'm not one to chest beat over something as insignificant as the car I drive. I'm glad chrisny smacked you in the face with some humble pie. I mean, what kind of mental and emotional deficiencies must one have to say things like "we are in another league" and make elitist pompous remarks at other members all fueled by the fact that you drive a moderately expensive vehicle, in America of all places? Perhaps it's just a matter of being a foolish nouveau riche asshole with delusions of grandeur. I mean really, a 2006 M5 and 2013 X5M? That gets you on "another league"? What league would that be? The league of douchebag? Cause I'll tell you, I rather debadge my M6 than be in any way related to that kind of classless foolishness. Note to non-M owners: I'll share the same air with you, I don't think myself a god because of a small badge on my car, but watch out for this guy he's "special".
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #21
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #22
EZ_TUR90
Ez tur90
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Like you said, anyone can post pictures, which is why I, unlike you, provided video. Very convenient of you to ignore it (safety blanket?). But no worries, I'm not one to chest beat over something as insignificant as the car I drive. I'm glad chrisny smacked you in the face with some humble pie. I mean, what kind of mental and emotional deficiencies must one have to say things like "we are in another league" and make elitist pompous remarks at other members all fueled by the fact that you drive a moderately expensive vehicle, in America of all places? Perhaps it's just a matter of being a foolish nouveau riche asshole with delusions of grandeur. I mean really, a 2006 M5 and 2013 X5M? That gets you on "another league"? What league would that be? The league of douchebag? Cause I'll tell you, I rather debadge my M6 than be in any way related to that kind of classless foolishness. Note to non-M owners: I'll share the same air with you, I don't think myself a god because of a small badge on my car, but watch out for this guy he's "special".
well said!!