BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #23
Socal2025
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Actually, if you take a good look a the 19s, both luxury and x lines, they are really good looking. They have a nice proportion of rubber and rim. Plus you can get more brand options on them. I think, unless you live in California, the 19s are the way to go, hands down. Like someone said above, if you order the 20s, BMW assume you don't need much weather traction and just want some "sporty". Not sure what is the ordering ration between 19s an
d 20s but I guess the vast majority of people around the world don't bother with 20s.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #24
BillK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 11 M3, 15 X5d, 20 X2

I live in the Baltimore/Washington area and over the years, my 95 M3 (17" wheels) have taken a serious beating from potholes and just plain bad roads. Beat to the point that I refurbished all four and now my car feels new. Like slowly boiling a frog, you dont notice how bad the ride gets with rims denting over time. When my wife ordered her X5, I chose the 18" wheels for the plain fact that I want to not fear hitting a pothole (or what have you) at 60mph and damaging the wheel. I feel that a HUGE bonus for an X5 is getting along bad roads and running through the snow or heavy rain storms. If I cant do that, why not just buy a 5 series car? Fragile tires will, essentially, negate the benefits of having an SUV.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #25
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdriverx View Post
I agree with you. I'm in New York City and it's the reason I stuck with the 19" wheels which include the all-season tires. If I went to the 20" wheels those tires would need to be replaced in 20K miles due to the soft rubber and accelerated wear. Not to mention they are death traps in the snow. BMW should really offer options for regional markets. It may make more sense to offer all-season tires in New York and performance tires in California.

I will eventually get 20"+ wheels of my choosing (not limited to the 3 styles offered by BMW) and wrap them with tires appropriate for the conditions in New York.
What would make the most sense is just offer a choice of performance or all season tires for each of the tire options. Saying "everyone who wants 20's wants to drive on a track" makes about as much sense as saying "everyone who wants 4WD wants to drive the truck through the Georgia swamp and therefore needs marsh tires". Actually, probably less sense, I'd venture a guess that more X5s see off road conditions than see a track.

There are plenty of 20" tires out there that would make sense for the majority of buyers. The ones they offer on the truck, most decidedly, are NOT it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 08:43 PM   #26
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
What would make the most sense is just offer a choice of performance or all season tires for each of the tire options. Saying "everyone who wants 20's wants to drive on a track" makes about as much sense as saying "everyone who wants 4WD wants to drive the truck through the Georgia swamp and therefore needs marsh tires". Actually, probably less sense, I'd venture a guess that more X5s see off road conditions than see a track.

There are plenty of 20" tires out there that would make sense for the majority of buyers. The ones they offer on the truck, most decidedly, are NOT it.
Has BMW had the current tire options on previous models of the X5 or is the 20" RFT performance tires something new for the F15?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 07:51 AM   #27
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

When you go through the Porche configurator for the Macan, it shows that they offer all-season tires for their 20" rims. As others have said on this thread, I wish that BMW would follow suit.

On my last two Xs, I ordered the 19" wheels and drove around for 4y with wheel envy. This time I'm getting the 20s, but I certainly want all season tires. Although I feel that Conti DWSs will be great tires, I'm so apprehensive about going with non-runflat tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 05:37 PM   #28
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
I will play devils advocate and say why on earth would BMW put a All Season tire on a 20" performance setup. Just plain silly. If I am going to tick the box on a set of wheels which has 275/315 I know I am not going to be running these in the winter. That is why you get 19" winter wheels. If I was going off road, I would never pick the 20" option.

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 09:15 AM   #29
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
I will play devils advocate and say why on earth would BMW put a All Season tire on a 20" performance setup. Just plain silly. If I am going to tick the box on a set of wheels which has 275/315 I know I am not going to be running these in the winter. That is why you get 19" winter wheels. If I was going off road, I would never pick the 20" option.
Fair enough. However, I'd argue that 95% of the 20" packages that are sold are sold for "looks" not for "performance". I'd go further and say that <5% of X5 owners, even if they live in cold weather, have 2 sets of wheels (19's and 20's).

For me, I think this is all about percentages. Sure, the 20's as setup are a good tire package for certain users. It's just that; IMHO, there aren't nearly as many users for the current setup as their would be for a all weather/harder setup on the 20's. You have a valid point, and I'm sure there are some people out there who are thrilled that BMW put high performance summer tires on the 20's. I just think that's a tiny fraction of the X5 population.

It's not that the 20's are bad tires. They are actually very good tires, I really like the way they perform in the right settings. It's that they don't IMHO, make a lot of sense for a tire setup, especially on a truck, and even more especially on a diesel truck.

I'll go back to my initial comparison. The tires on the X5 20" package, to me, are like making the stock tires on a Z06 Corvette a set of studded snow tires. Sure, there will be some owners that are very happy with that setup because they live in the snow and that will be a good set of tires for them. But, for most people, a set of high performance summer tires would make more sense for a sports car. Same with the X5. For people who live in SoCal and drive their cars right at the edge of what they can do and don't care about tread longevity, the setup on the 20's is great. I don't think that's the majority of the users though; most people who buy a truck, even if they live in the right climate for summer tires (like I do) aren't driving it at the edge of the performance envelope enough (or at all) to justify the huge reduction in tread life you get when moving to a super tacky tire.

I'd hazard a guess that a move to something like DWS tires would make 95% of the buyers of the 20" setup happier and 5% less happy. No setup is right for everyone, that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 03:47 PM   #30
gibstr
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d

All season 20" tires

Overtaxed - Your point is valid! Just ordered my 2015 X5 from the factory and insisted on an all season- 20's. Dealer made it work. In the past I've owned a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S and an ML63, both had all season 20's.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 05:35 PM   #31
Rene_Fonck
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BMW X5 35d

I lease my BMW vehicles so I take the stock wheels/tires off the X5, bag 'em and put them in the garage until 6 months before the end of the lease. Then I buy and mount aftermarket wheels and all season tires: 275/40ZR20 Continental ExtremeContact DWS -- looks great and these tires work well in northern climates.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 12:39 AM   #32
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibstr View Post
Overtaxed - Your point is valid! Just ordered my 2015 X5 from the factory and insisted on an all season- 20's. Dealer made it work. In the past I've owned a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S and an ML63, both had all season 20's.
Can you please clarify your comment; Dealer Made It Work?
Are you saying you ordered 20" All Season RF tyres?
I didn't think any manufacturer made these.

There is a previous post about this as I have gone through the pain and cost of finding this out when my car was delivered in May.

NB The outcome was that the dealer made a 50% contribution to the cost of 19" winter tyres which I will swap out in a month or so.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 07:12 AM   #33
MtgMaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99
Right on
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #34
gibstr
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d

Dealer removed the summer tires and installed Extreme Contacts
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #35
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50I Msport

I'll say I would not have chosen anything but the msport 20s with rft. They kill the south florida streets and have, unlike every other rft I've had, exceeded my expectations. Some of us definitely like the high performance aspect.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 09:26 PM   #36
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Jouster View Post
I'll say I would not have chosen anything but the msport 20s with rft. They kill the south florida streets and have, unlike every other rft I've had, exceeded my expectations. Some of us definitely like the high performance aspect.
Which tire do you have? The Pirelli, Dunlop, or Continental RFT?
2022 992 GTS| 7MT | Shark Blue
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #37
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
Which tire do you have? The Pirelli, Dunlop, or Continental RFT?
i have the conti.... i have had a 2010 Mercedes GLK, 2010 BMW 335i, 2013 Audi S6 and they all had runflats....each and every time i was dreading the tires, all hard as bricks and rode terribly. my 2012 Jeep Wrangler on 35 inch Mudtires had better sound and ride quality....not one set of run flats lasted longer 10,000, more like 8,000 the way i drive i guess.

i put on the BMW BF Goodrich KDW2 gforces- these tires, although just as noisy, best handling ive ever seen!!! rain or dry, dirty or track clean, i could drift comfortably in any situation, made rwd feel like awd.

the Audi i put on Michelin Pilot SS.... i will never go with any other tire than this one. best tire on the market for performance sedan. and i havent looked yet but i hope they have the right weight ratings and sizes to fit on the x5 20s.

but!!! the x5 has surprised me to say the least. i guess it is my first set of conti RFT (i think). but these tires are quiet, ride great,(maybe the suspension), and decent feel. wet control is perfect for a heavy suv, and even with the tune, the tires handle the power very well...

no one should have any complaints against the 20 inch RFT unless manufacture defects of course....

and of course its personal preference, but theres no way im imagining this lol
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 08:04 AM   #38
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep

and just this for thought.....

a few years back rented a yukon, with small wheels huge tires!!! tire sidewall was massive. which i guess is normal for trucks like that. now it wasnt bigger then anything else, but big enough to upset me lol.....remember i had a four door wrangler JKU with 4 inch lift and 35inch tires....these were huge,, but probably my favorite tire and ride other then the s6......

had to make an evasive maneuver on the highway... i almost died.....it may be big but not everyone always sees you.... so i made the evasive manuever which was mostly a swerve into an open lane..... the truck swayed over to the next lane, and shoved its way across the highway in an uncontrollable manner. the weight of the vehicle hanging over the massive sidewall was not controllable. the COG is never where you think it is on those massive tires.....

my mom has a yukon denali, with stock 22s and much thinner profile tires.

this thing drove great... maybe didnt absorb the bumps and grates as much but nonew the less, perfectly acceptable......

i took this behemoth out for a drive on the highway to miami.... lo and behold, another evasive maneuver or two....car had very tactile feedback and no uncontrollable momentum throwing me around...very planted and much better body control and predictability.

this is a great test to see what you really like or what the differences may be.

one has to hop in the same vehicle, same suspension and different tires and wheel sizes.
Appreciate 0