BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
Artdnj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 X30i

Curb rash

What are you guys paying for curb rash repair? wife received a door ding and curb rash on a wheel after two months of ownership. Should of got the 19s.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

You probably should get yourself those gator strips or plastic strips for the rim. Some members have them and they protect the rim from curb rash really well.
      08-14-2014, 01:05 AM   #3
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artdnj View Post
What are you guys paying for curb rash repair? wife received a door ding and curb rash on a wheel after two months of ownership. Should of got the 19s.
..I managed to scuff my 469's after 48 hours and <200 miles!
Then I got these fitted along with the nano ceramic sealant..Alloy Gators.
http://www.alloygator.co.uk
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 06:25 AM   #4
Artdnj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 X30i

Is install a dyi, readily available in NJ? Thx and they don't look too noticable. If changing tires, do you need a new strip?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 06:47 AM   #5
6605paull
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Alloy Gator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
..I managed to scuff my 469's after 48 hours and <200 miles!
Then I got these fitted along with the nano ceramic sealant..Alloy Gators.
http://www.alloygator.co.uk
Hi, I was thinking of getting those fitted to my 469's which colour Alloy Gators did you go for and are you pleased with them, i.e do they look ok/. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Alloy gators supposedly are only made in the UK, so you will have to pay a little extra/wait for them to come, but they seem to be the best quality since they are actually made of alloy. From the reviews and discussions, given that they are alloy, you do not need to change them. Plastic strips, depending on their durability, may or may not need to be changed, but I doubt it as long as they aren't ripped/damaged as your tires are changed.
      08-14-2014, 07:56 AM   #7
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6605paull View Post
Hi, I was thinking of getting those fitted to my 469's which colour Alloy Gators did you go for and are you pleased with them, i.e do they look ok/. Thanks.
Black, so hardly noticeable although they are available in a range of colours including pink

Yup, REALLY please with 'em. Since fitted have saved my alloys getting wrecked a couple of times so well worth the investment.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #8
6605paull
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
Black, so hardly noticeable although they are available in a range of colours including pink

Yup, REALLY please with 'em. Since fitted have saved my alloys getting wrecked a couple of times so well worth the investment.
Great thanks for the reply, might even let the wife drive if they are fitted
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #9
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Had no idea about alloy gators, thanks. I wonder if they are somehow illegal in the USA, otherwise they should have been selling like hot cakes.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 01:51 PM   #10
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post
Had no idea about alloy gators, thanks. I wonder if they are somehow illegal in the USA, otherwise they should have been selling like hot cakes.
To be totally honest with you, I don't think the market for them is that big here. For that reason alone, it probably costs more to make Alloy Gators since they are pretty expensive. Realistically speaking, how many cars do you see on the road with plastic rim strips? Most cars are just standard as they are these days without anyone doing any sort of modification.
      08-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #11
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
To be totally honest with you, I don't think the market for them is that big here. For that reason alone, it probably costs more to make Alloy Gators since they are pretty expensive. Realistically speaking, how many cars do you see on the road with plastic rim strips? Most cars are just standard as they are these days without anyone doing any sort of modification.
Its risk mitigation; £95 fitted for all four 20" tyres against £££££ to have alloys repaired x amount of times...personal choice.
Unless you have pink, white, yellow etc etc I don't think you can see 'em.

Just my two 2D's worth.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 02:18 PM   #12
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Its risk mitigation; £95 fitted for all four 20" tyres against £££££ to have alloys repaired x amount of times...personal choice.
Unless you have pink, white, yellow etc etc I don't think you can see 'em.

Just my two 2D's worth.
I wasn't negating anything at all about them, my friend. I was just explaining to him why there aren't Alloy Gators in the states. We have to order from the UK website to get those specific ones, which seem to be the highest quality. I was also saying why they really don't have a market here. Protection for our expensive rims is always a good idea . It just seems the plastic ones don't hold up all that great, and if they do, not enough people know about strips in general to even consider them. The amount of people that hit curbs on a daily basis is quite high.
      08-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #13
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
I wasn't negating anything at all about them, my friend. I was just explaining to him why there aren't Alloy Gators in the states. We have to order from the UK website to get those specific ones, which seem to be the highest quality. I was also saying why they really don't have a market here. Protection for our expensive rims is always a good idea . It just seems the plastic ones don't hold up all that great, and if they do, not enough people know about strips in general to even consider them. The amount of people that hit curbs on a daily basis is quite high.
No offense taken...maybe its a re-seller/franchise opportunity

Looking at the web site they have a patient in Canada and pending elsewhere so could be coming to a country near you soon.

Last edited by Baunton; 08-14-2014 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #14
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Considering they are only $40/rim, that's really not much of an expense compared to hundreds of dollars people spend on rims alone. Considering it's also a big industry to fix rims, these rim shops may not want to axe their own income. Large amount of curb rash occurs from high sidewalks / tight parallel parking in city streets, and alloy gator type "bumpers" would be really handy.

If there are people who buy stuff like bumper guards or ridiculous things like these:

I am sure there would be a market for alloy gators since they don't look ridiculous at all.

I would love to see a video of alloy gators being installed. I am just curious how they stay in place.

Found it, I can't believe they just hammer it in place and these are really flexible plastic and he doesn't deflate the tire completely.

How about Rimblades, they look even worse with their double sided tape installation.
I would love to see these in action, riding the wheel against curb to see how well they perform.

Last edited by hyde; 08-14-2014 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #15
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No offense taken...maybe its a re-seller/franchise opportunity

Looking at the web site they have a patient in Canada and pending elsewhere so could be coming to a country near you soon.
That's promising information .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post
Considering they are only $40/rim, that's really not much of an expense compared to hundreds of dollars people spend on rims alone. Considering it's also a big industry to fix rims, these rim shops may not want to axe their own income. Large amount of curb rash occurs from high sidewalks / tight parallel parking in city streets, and alloy gator type "bumpers" would be really handy.

If there are people who buy stuff like bumper guards or ridiculous things like these:

I am sure there would be a market for alloy gators since they don't look ridiculous at all.

I would love to see a video of alloy gators being installed. I am just curious how they stay in place.

Found it, I can't believe they just hammer it in place and these are really flexible plastic and he doesn't deflate the tire completely.

How about Rimblades, they look even worse with their double sided tape installation.
I would love to see these in action, riding the wheel against curb to see how well they perform.

I agree. They're worth spending money on for the protection. Lol, maybe my meaning got lost in translation. I was just explaining how the general public here works. Most people don't have the knowledge on such things and of course like you said, why would a rim repair/wheel seller market even bother to advertise them if it will take money away from their sales? I actually did a lot of research for alloy gators in the US, but only came across similar plastic types such as rimblades. There were lots of mixed reviews; some loved them while some said they broke within weeks. Either way...if you're going to even get something like this, it might as well be the best quality...because as you and Baunton said, it's such a small price compared to the value of your actual rim.