BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-04-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
X5chris
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

I just read a article that says bmw is coming out with power kit for x5 35i. http://www.gtspirit.com/2014/02/13/o...i-state=dialog" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.gtspirit....ate=dialog</a>

Does anyone know when it's going to be available?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

It's available now $1095, but for only 20hp and 32ft-lb??

I think that Berger(?) or Racechip turning is way better than that and will probably cost less too. FWIW!

http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

I have been running Burger Tuning for 6 months and nothing but enjoyment. I started with Stage 1, then upgraded to Stage 2 with map 1, them map 2, now I am running on map 5.
Upgraded my charge pipe so it can handle more boost.
Can't wait for the catless downpipe and maybe producing my own exhaust.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
OuKEnFoLdMX
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
I have been running Burger Tuning for 6 months and nothing but enjoyment. I started with Stage 1, then upgraded to Stage 2 with map 1, them map 2, now I am running on map 5.
r33 and for the f15 35i n55 motor the only tune i can put is stage 1? this is better than the race chip? and this race chip do i have to connect only for the 2 maps like the stage 1? or its more dificult more connections. thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #5
X5chris
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33
Does all your upgrades void your warranty?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuKEnFoLdMX View Post
r33 and for the f15 35i n55 motor the only tune i can put is stage 1? this is better than the race chip? and this race chip do i have to connect only for the 2 maps like the stage 1? or its more dificult more connections. thanks
@OuKEnFoLdMX, I don't have experience on the RaceChip. I have been using and selling BurgerTuning JB4 which is a popular brand among the BMW owners.
On the F15 35i N55 motor, you can use Stage2, which has more capability than the Stage1. But, for easy use and install, I do recommend Stage1.
The Stage2 you need to connect additional 2 wires to the DME unit and 2 wires to the ground and power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5chris View Post
Does all your upgrades void your warranty?
@X5chris, all of my upgrades doesn't void the warranty. The charge pipe is a fix to the OEM one, since the OEM has tendency to break between the glued flange to the pipe.
The brakes, also a fix to the OEM where it is not sufficient enough to stop a 6000+LBS car.
But, the tunes, if you use it conservatively, then you will be fine with it. Even if you trying to push to the limit, the BMW ECU is very good in monitoring all of the engine condition where it will put your car into a limp mode before you kill the engine.
FYI though, as I mentioned somewhere in my post, to void a warranty is depending on your dealer and the SA. They will try to void a warranty just because they wanted to and they will find a reason for it.
I have the tunes in my F10 528i and the F15 35i. Went to services a few times already, warranty work a few times, without taking off the tunes.
It is your car, that doesn't mean that you can't install anything to the car that is aftermarket.
For example; some of this forum members installed a dashcam and radar detector by tapping the power from the overhead console wiring. And guess what, if something goes wrong with your autodim rearview mirror or KAFAS camera or anything in that area, they will void the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 09:29 PM   #7
OuKEnFoLdMX
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Quote:
@OuKEnFoLdMX, I don't have experience on the RaceChip. I have been using and selling BurgerTuning JB4 which is a popular brand among the BMW owners.
On the F15 35i N55 motor, you can use Stage2, which has more capability than the Stage1. But, for easy use and install, I do recommend Stage1.
The Stage2 you need to connect additional 2 wires to the DME unit and 2 wires to the ground and power.

@X5chris, all of my upgrades doesn't void the warranty. The charge pipe is a fix to the OEM one, since the OEM has tendency to break between the glued flange to the pipe.
The brakes, also a fix to the OEM where it is not sufficient enough to stop a 6000+LBS car.
But, the tunes, if you use it conservatively, then you will be fine with it. Even if you trying to push to the limit, the BMW ECU is very good in monitoring all of the engine condition where it will put your car into a limp mode before you kill the engine.
FYI though, as I mentioned somewhere in my post, to void a warranty is depending on your dealer and the SA. They will try to void a warranty just because they wanted to and they will find a reason for it.
I have the tunes in my F10 528i and the F15 35i. Went to services a few times already, warranty work a few times, without taking off the tunes.
It is your car, that doesn't mean that you can't install anything to the car that is aftermarket.
For example; some of this forum members installed a dashcam and radar detector by tapping the power from the overhead console wiring. And guess what, if something goes wrong with your autodim rearview mirror or KAFAS camera or anything in that area, they will void the warranty.
ok r33 so i will install the stage 1, feel like more easy to install, do you work for BurgerTuning or can you tell me the price of the stage 1 and the BMS N55 Performance Intake on pm, plz

does the BMS N55 Performance Intake really works o it only sounds great?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #8
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

@OuKEnFoLdMX,
PM sent.
I am not with BurgerTuning, just started as a fan of their products then decided to restart my auto parts business which I put aside for a few years already.
The air intake gives you better air flow. People says that it didn't gives you anything, which is somewhat true. It is more like a nose strip that the athletes uses. It didn't do much but giving you a better air flow. It also gives you nice sound, but you can't really hear it much since the F15 has some wind noise.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #9
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/F80 M3

I have the MPPK on my X5, I know they "say" it only adds 20HP and 32 lb/ft torque, but BMW is pretty well known for underrating their motors. There is a Dinan video that shows much higher figures for the MPPK tested on a dyno:

The MPPK doesn't offer the bang for the buck of the aftermarket power kits, but it won't void your warranty. A lot of the F30 owners are actually running both (MPPK+JB4 seems to be the most popular combo).

Of all the options I got on my X5, MPPK is probably my 2nd favorite (with the HUD being #1). It totally transforms the character of the motor, the exhaust note is a little deeper too (although you don't get the exhaust burble that comes with the F30 MPPK).

Last edited by sand99; 08-06-2014 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #10
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand99
I have the MPPK on my X5, I know they "say" it only adds 20HP and 32 lb/ft torque, but BMW is pretty well known for underrating their motors. There is a Dinan video that shows much higher figures for the MPPK tested on a dyno:

The MPPK doesn't offer the bang for the buck of the aftermarket power kits, but it won't void your warranty. A lot of the F30 owners are actually running both (MPPK+JB4 seems to be the most popular combo).

Of all the options I got on my X5, MPPK is probably my 2nd favorite (with the HUD being #1). It totally transforms the character of the motor, the exhaust note is a little deeper too (although you don't get the exhaust burble that comes with the F30 MPPK).
You have f15 with m perf?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 05:07 PM   #11
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Thanks for the followups re warranty. I buy that explanation 100%.

However, to your knowledge is it correct that all the aftermarket chips do is basically trick the readings from the sensors for the processors into thinking insufficient fuel and oxygen is reaching the pistons, and increasing the amount of both to increase combustion? My reservation with chips/tunning is that they could affect longevity in that they create more pressure, more temperature, more wear. And, regardless of how that is achieved, I have doubt about lack of effect on MPG as it implies engineers in BMW are second rate, and are leaving HP and MPG on the table when they are both huge selling points. Case in point, whatever they have done to make the 2015 0.1 seconds faster in 0-60 and still improving MPG (there is another post floating around about this).

I would still install chips, but recognize that there is no free lunch. My guess is the lunch cost is MPG and longevity.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #12
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
Thanks for the followups re warranty. I buy that explanation 100%.

However, to your knowledge is it correct that all the aftermarket chips do is basically trick the readings from the sensors for the processors into thinking insufficient fuel and oxygen is reaching the pistons, and increasing the amount of both to increase combustion? My reservation with chips/tunning is that they could affect longevity in that they create more pressure, more temperature, more wear. And, regardless of how that is achieved, I have doubt about lack of effect on MPG as it implies engineers in BMW are second rate, and are leaving HP and MPG on the table when they are both huge selling points. Case in point, whatever they have done to make the 2015 0.1 seconds faster in 0-60 and still improving MPG (there is another post floating around about this).

I would still install chips, but recognize that there is no free lunch. My guess is the lunch cost is MPG and longevity.
As my knowledge, on the turbo engine, especially with the newer ECU system, the tune doesn't trick the sensors for the air and fuel. Since the OEM ECU will compensate for it by itself.
What it does is similar to the old school HKS EVC, where it trick the vacuum. While in the newer car, everything is controlled electronically. So, it is just tricking the air pressure sensor input to the ECU that the turbo didn't produce enough boost, therefore the turbo doesn't open up the wastegate until it reach the target (but there is a threshold on the amount of boost that the wastegate will open regardless. with the old vacuum controlled wastegate, it is much easier to control. the new BMW engines, all uses electronic wastegate, which BMS have solution for it already).
Keep in mind, big corporation are playing with our wallets. As for BMW, they know the potential of the aftermarket parts business (thanks to SEMA), so they release the car to the market with 80% engine capacity. While reserving the 10% for their M Performance markets. While the rest 10% is reserved for longevity of the engine.
As far as the 2015 is faster and have better MPG, everything is in the new transmission design. AFAIK, nothing has been done to the engine itself. Better gearing ratio and software on the gearing control.
As for having a tune gives you lower MPG, this doesn't happened on the turbo car. Since the tune doesn't change the fuel consumption setting. What gives you less MPG is your right foot. Because with the tune, you will be more likely to have happy feet.
But, if you drive conservatively with the tune, you may gain MPG, since you are using less gas to reach the targeted speed. And longevity wise, you will most likely only use the 60% to 80% of the engine capability. Unless, if you fully modded the car and track it (where you will go full throttle 90% of the time).
Feel free to correct me, I may be wrong on some or whole of my statement. But with my 20 years of experience on the street and track cars, it should be close to 100% accurate.
Hope it help.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #13
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thank you. Very informative and helpful.....now I want one of those chips ;-)

Seriously, now I want one after dealer resolved the issue with car not being built to specs. All cameras for Driver Assistance Plus missing on my 7 day old car. I am hesitant now as our special order may be purchased back.
      08-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #14
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco
Thank you. Very informative and helpful.....now I want one of those chips ;-)

Seriously, now I want one after dealer resolved the issue with car not being built to specs. All cameras for Driver Assistance Plus missing on my 7 day old car. I am hesitant now as our special order may be purchased back.
What do you mean by all the camera missing?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #15
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What do you mean by all the cameras missing?
I am missing the cameras on the mirrors and the front, though I have the package that would provide surround view, etc. After failing to activate them in settings, I asked for help at the dealer. At first they said I was lacking the package, then I showed them my order docs. They then looked it up by VIN, confirmed the package was ordered (and paid for) and told me and the salesman who placed the build order, that BMW had not built the car according to spec. Dealer is trying to investigate how this can be remedied.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #16
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
I am missing the cameras on the mirrors and the front, though I have the package that would provide surround view, etc. After failing to activate them in settings, I asked for help at the dealer. At first they said I was lacking the package, then I showed them my order docs. They then looked it up by VIN, confirmed the package was ordered (and paid for) and told me and the salesman who placed the build order, that BMW had not built the car according to spec. Dealer is trying to investigate how this can be remedied.
That's messed up. They're going to have to retrofit everything, which is about a $6-7K job. I asked my service guy at BMW how much it costs for people that don't have the front and side mirror cameras, but have the rear camera, and that is the price he quoted. Since you paid for this, they better take care of you. Also, as a courtesy, for BMW's mistake, they should compensate you with some accessories or something. That's unacceptable.
      08-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #17
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

My guess is the dealer would love to fix it and get compensated by BMW, and BMW would love to replace the car. Let's see what they come up with. I really don't care or want anything other than having a car whose specs match the VIN report.

It makes you wonder what other things get messed/missed during the build.

Last edited by MattBianco; 08-07-2014 at 11:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #18
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

@opasha great idea. I know what I will ask for. I asked for amber/orange turn signals in the back when I placed the order. They enquired and said no way. But people with pull have had all kinds of custom stuff done.

I'll ask for euro spec wiring and rear lights. I would even pay for it if they merely agree as a good gesture but refuse the cost.

Last edited by MattBianco; 08-07-2014 at 11:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 09:58 PM   #19
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
@opasha great idea. I know what I will ask for. I asked for amber/orange turn signals in the back when placed the order. They enquired and said no way. But people with pull have had all kinds of custom stuff done.

I'll ask for euro spec wiring and rear lights. I would even pay for it if they merely agree as a good gesture but refuse the cost.
I don't know if that will be easy even with money, but doesn't hurt to ask. I know wdimagineer was able to do a few mods because of his friendship with someone in BMW of NA.

Let us know what happens. I'm actually really curious how much the total cost ends up being for those cameras because I really wanted to retrofit so I could get the surround view. My brother has it on his ML63 and it's amazing. Good luck!
      08-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #20
Haris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 BMW M4

Garage List
Quote:
Ouch. Just curious, you have Driver Assistance Plus package and it's missing these cameras? Or the entire package is not there? also, what does your window sticker say about the package/option?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #21
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haris View Post
Ouch. Just curious, you have Driver Assistance Plus package and it's missing these cameras? Or the entire package is not there? also, what does your window sticker say about the package/option?
Never looked at the window sticker as I special ordered the car and they had removed all of that stuff when they called and said it has arrived and is ready/inspected.

I ordered the ACC + Active Driving Assistance option, and also ordered the Driver Assistance Package. The combination selected on the "build" page on BMWUSA website checks off all the options for blindspot warning and side+front cameras.

I could not activate the features, so I asked the technical people at the dealer, and they looked up the car by VIN and they said "it was built incorrectly".

I go in on the 14th and will figure out what happens a few days after that (car is to stay at least overnight for Zurich coating).

I have a feeling they will blame the website. However, the amount paid for aforementioned options and packages, matches Driver Assistance Plus, so who knows. Also, further puzzled as their own technicians said it was built wrong, not me; I was just trying to figure out the iDrive. And they called the salesman to deal with BMW. A follow-up yielded the response that they are trying to figure out if they can be added or what other alternatives they have.

As a precaution, before they switch the "build" to 2015, I video captured the website showing those features are to come with my selection of options and packages.

FYI, ACC works. Front collision works. Speed limit recognition does not. Blind spot warning does not. And, front and side camera views do not.

Last edited by MattBianco; 08-11-2014 at 06:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #22
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Well, I really hope they get things figured out for you and compensate you for their mishap. That's unacceptable. You don't just mess up a build when someone pays the full price for those options. BMW will try to BS you and find a loophole for their mistake. Stay on top of it and don't let them screw you over for anything.