BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
sbkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Rear Vent

I apologize if this was discussed before but I presume you get vents in the rear seats regardless of whether you get 4 way climate control?

I did't want to presume anything as you need to order Bluetooth option to get bluetooth in 2015.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkim View Post
I apologize if this was discussed before but I presume you get vents in the rear seats regardless of whether you get 4 way climate control?

I did't want to presume anything as you need to order Bluetooth option to get bluetooth in 2015.

Thanks
If you don't get the 4-way, the back seat does get vents on the back of the center armrest. You don't get the add'l vents that are in the pillars between the front and rear doors. If you order the 4-way, you do get the extra pillar vents.

Not sure what you mean by the bluetooth comment, as bluetooth is standard on the X5. There is an extended bluetooth and smartphone option, but you don't need that in order to use your cellphone through the car speakers or to stream music over bluetooth or USB. The extended option was standard before and is now an option in 2015. Frankly, there's not much that it gives you above what is already included.
      08-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #3
Hang0ver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTSG View Post
If you don't get the 4-way, the back seat does get vents on the back of the center armrest. You don't get the add'l vents that are in the pillars between the front and rear doors. If you order the 4-way, you do get the extra pillar vents.

Not sure what you mean by the bluetooth comment, as bluetooth is standard on the X5. There is an extended bluetooth and smartphone option, but you don't need that in order to use your cellphone through the car speakers or to stream music over bluetooth or USB. The extended option was standard before and is now an option in 2015. Frankly, there's not much that it gives you above what is already included.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
sbkim
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks David. Darn it - I thought you couldn't even use bluetooth without this option
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks David. Darn it - I thought you couldn't even use bluetooth without this option
Nope. BMW isn't great at outlining this stuff. Here's an attachment that shows the functions. The 6NH is standard on all X5's. The 6NS is the extra option.
Attached Images

08-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #6
sbkim
Lieutenant
Rep

Great info! I guess Mobile Office would be cool to have - does this read text messages etc?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 09:12 PM   #7
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great info! I guess Mobile Office would be cool to have - does this read text messages etc?
Not sure on the latest iDrive. I know on the 2012 X5 that I have now, it's very limited in what it will do with my iPhone. Apple being Apple, they restrict some of it. For instance, I can read my text messages, but only those messages that come in while the phone is attached to the car. And I can't read e-mails, calendar, tasks, etc. Nothing I've read indicates that the latest iDrive is any better (again, because the limitations really seem to be on Apple's side).

I can't speak to an Android phone, and I don't know for myself that the newest iDrive isn't better. I wasn't able to test that when I test drove the car.

The other limitation is with the cradle and the snap-in adapter in the center console. It takes up 1/2 of the storage in the armrest, and there is no guarantee that BMW will keep up with the phone tech. My 2012, for instance, doesn't have an adapter for the iPhone 5/5s. While the newer systems do have the iPhone 5 adapter, from my research, it took 6 months or a year after the phone was released to have the adapter released. So if you're one to upgrade your phone with any frequency, there's no guarantee that the adapter will be available.

For me, it just wasn't worth the extra $500.
      08-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #8
sbkim
Lieutenant
Rep

I would have to agree with you on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTSG View Post
Not sure on the latest iDrive. I know on the 2012 X5 that I have now, it's very limited in what it will do with my iPhone. Apple being Apple, they restrict some of it. For instance, I can read my text messages, but only those messages that come in while the phone is attached to the car. And I can't read e-mails, calendar, tasks, etc. Nothing I've read indicates that the latest iDrive is any better (again, because the limitations really seem to be on Apple's side).

I can't speak to an Android phone, and I don't know for myself that the newest iDrive isn't better. I wasn't able to test that when I test drove the car.

The other limitation is with the cradle and the snap-in adapter in the center console. It takes up 1/2 of the storage in the armrest, and there is no guarantee that BMW will keep up with the phone tech. My 2012, for instance, doesn't have an adapter for the iPhone 5/5s. While the newer systems do have the iPhone 5 adapter, from my research, it took 6 months or a year after the phone was released to have the adapter released. So if you're one to upgrade your phone with any frequency, there's no guarantee that the adapter will be available.

For me, it just wasn't worth the extra $500.
Appreciate 0