BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Frontal Collision Mitigation System

Has any new owners of F15 experienced any citi collision mitigation when turned on? This package is available with Drivers Assistance plus.

I have this enabled along with other security features like blind spot, lane change, etc. However, I have never been warned even though I am very close to the vehicle ahead of my car. Very close, may be 4 feet to 5 feet short of collision but no warning.

I have verified the setting several times and also notice GREEN circle around the little car button (security button).

Wanted to know your feedback.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

there is a setting on there; which lets you set the warning threshold. I bet your warning is set to late. I set mine to early which is about 10 yards away
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

^ For me the red car lite up on the dash when another car cut in front into my lane. The car did slow abruptly and safely but was that because I had ACC on or the collision warning system.

Also, I kept intentionally waving on the highway ( no cars near me) and the Lane Departure detected my cross the lane without signalling and hence the steering wheel did vibrate. Howver, the coffee break suggestion was not offered to me?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
Jsimon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, M3, California, 911T

The system has 2 independent settings. First is the computers pre set distance for when it will intervene. The city mitigation / pedestrian warning is only active up to 38 mph. Then you have the active warnings, early, medium and late. The computer will always react when needed at or under 38 mph. Now when you are visually and audio warned depends on what setting you pick.

If you have acc stop and go, this can be activated at 38mph or higher. Then you have another round of settings to distance to the car in front of you.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsimon View Post
The system has 2 independent settings. First is the computers pre set distance for when it will intervene. The city mitigation / pedestrian warning is only active up to 38 mph. Then you have the active warnings, early, medium and late. The computer will always react when needed at or under 38 mph. Now when you are visually and audio warned depends on what setting you pick.

If you have acc stop and go, this can be activated at 38mph or higher. Then you have another round of settings to distance to the car in front of you.

Thanks. I have not set or seen the settings on Pedestrian Warning (PW), will do soon. I have noticed that ACC has three settings (i.e. early medium, late).
I wonder if the distance settings are the same for both ACC & PW in terms of early, medium, late). If not or if one deliberately decides to set the two differently that would be kind of strange and maybe unsafe as the cut off point is 38 miles (61 kilometers)
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 05:16 AM   #6
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I did set the warning level to EARLY. Even then with above 35 MPH or below the system never warned me.
I am sure I don't need ACC STOP AND GO for this to work.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #7
Jsimon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, M3, California, 911T

You don't need acc stop and go for it to work. They are separate options for the car. May want your dealer to look at the car. Also just for clarification, city mitigation is bundled with pedestrian warning (day). It's one option with 2 functions. While I have not had the situation to come close run someone over, I can say during last weekends heavy rain, I got a warning in my HUD with a picture of a walking person saying that the system may not work property in the current conditions. The early, medium, late option on frontal collision is just for that. The pedestrian warning is a preset distance in the computer that cannot be modified well unless you buy the European software and start changing all the settings to European standards, but that's a whole other conversation.

Acc has 4 settings indicated by the horizontal lines in your lane graphics on your dash. Each line represents 2 car lengths. The early, medium, late is for frontal collision mitigation only at or under 38mph and that just a "warning" for the driver. In an emergency the car has its pre settings for reaction.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, ACC and Active Driving assistant are separate. I am sure there must be a sensor or other on-board electronics issue. Its a very simple setting and should work with no hassle.

I have not been prompted even i come close by two yards ahead of my car. I have reported to dealer yesterday when i gave my car for PDI after PC Delivery.

Hopefully they will fix it.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #9
RickP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp/DCT

I've ran in to people and cars and my sensors hasn't gone off yet. Time to hit the dealer and stop using the iPad.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #10
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP View Post
I've ran in to people and cars and my sensors hasn't gone off yet. Time to hit the dealer and stop using the iPad.
You have similar problem? Does your car equipped with ACC?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP View Post
LOL.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My service adviser tells me that Active Driving Assistant package doesnt allow the car to apply breaks or prevent collision rather it just warns the driver.

Is it true?

Active Driving Assistant (from BMW USA)

Active Driving Assistant brings the latest safety technologies to drivers with features like Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning, City Collision Mitigation and Pedestrian Protection.
Lane Departure Warning alerts the driver when he or she is about to exit a lane unintentionally or when approaching the curb. The driver is alerted by a vibration in the steering wheel so drivers can respond accordingly. Forward Collision Warning prevents collisions by warning the driver when approaching a vehicle ahead too quickly. The driver is altered by an optical warning and an additional alarm. In addition, City Collision Mitigation prevents collisions by automatically braking even at speeds of 37 mph or more. Pedestrian Protection has the same functionality but specifically prevents pedestrian collisions.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #13
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Im going to have this and in my opinnion it should brake! In the brochure it says it warns and then initiates braking if necessary...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 05:20 AM   #14
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Got my car back yesterday. I can see the warning on HUD but no Alarm when approaching the vehicle ahead of my car.
I am planning to run few soft object tests although the service manager do not recommend. he states that its working as designed.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 05:44 AM   #15
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbimmerx5 View Post
Got my car back yesterday. I can see the warning on HUD but no Alarm when approaching the vehicle ahead of my car.
I am planning to run few soft object tests although the service manager do not recommend. he states that its working as designed.
I also got the display of the "red car", but no alarm. I can't recall if the red car was on Cluster or HUD. I set mine to the furthest distance of the 3 settings. Maybe the object must be really close before the alarm.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 05:55 AM   #16
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

There is no time for alarm since warning on HUD. BTW, who cares about visual warning when you are close enough to other car? It doesn't make sense. A vibration on steering would have been helpful.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 11:15 AM   #17
tleafs
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Did your frontal collision warning issue got fixed? I took delivery of the new X5 in March and have not able to see the front collision warning working. It works fine with the Active Cruise Stop and Go. But it should work when the cruise is deactivated according to spec and also the front collision also automatic turns on when the engine restarts. But strange that while the vehicle detection works well when the cruise is active, it is not detecting any vehicle when the cruise is deactivated. I have not took to the dealer yet, just wondering if they can fix this before I take it in.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #18
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I only see a warning in the dash and its useless. Who will monitor the warning in dash?
I complained to dealer but he says its working as designed. I have never experienced automatic breaking yet. I probably have to try in parking lot with softer objects before I can tell you if it's working or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #19
jdmass
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleafs View Post
Did your frontal collision warning issue got fixed? I took delivery of the new X5 in March and have not able to see the front collision warning working. It works fine with the Active Cruise Stop and Go. But it should work when the cruise is deactivated according to spec and also the front collision also automatic turns on when the engine restarts. But strange that while the vehicle detection works well when the cruise is active, it is not detecting any vehicle when the cruise is deactivated. I have not took to the dealer yet, just wondering if they can fix this before I take it in.
I have a 2015 X3 and have the exact same problem. Front Collision and Pedestrian Warning are enabled, but there seem to be no warning indicators of any kind. ACC Stop and Go, when active works just fine.

Did you ever get an answer or resolution to this problem?
Thanks.
Previous BMWs: 2000 528i, 2003 540i, 2007 335i Sedan, 2009 335i Sedan, 2012 X3 xDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 03:12 AM   #20
bav29
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i on order

Here's my experience;

I have my setting on 'early' detection and frequently get the red car appear in my HUD if other cars cut in front of me however not if I gradually get closer to another car in regular traffic. The computer imo must work out a 'safe' approach speed?

Once, my attention was slighlty distracted.. when I looked up a car had stopped in front of me and I saw the red car symbol in the HUD AND an audible alarm at which point I braked and the car stopped very quickly. I'm not sure whether 1) the car braked for/with me 2) the brakes were made extra sensitive or 3) I just stamped on the brakes without realizing (I don't think I did)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 05:18 PM   #21
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbimmerx5 View Post
Has any new owners of F15 experienced any citi collision mitigation when turned on? This package is available with Drivers Assistance plus. .....
I have ACC and Active Driving Assistant Plus. Car is less than 10 days old. I could not activate many features and after spending hours in the car fiddling with iDrive, my wife asked me to stop playing with her new car. She chose all the interior leather, seats, etc, and I chose all the technicals for her.

I took it to the dealer to see what I was doing wrong. The service attendant said I don't have Driver Assistance Plus. I showed the paperwork as we custom ordered it and I knew we had it. They want back to their desk and verified via VIN that I had the option. Then the service guy told the salesman...."sorry...this is your problem...car was built incorrectly by BMW....it is missing the front and side cameras". And who knows what else. Anyway, I go back in on the 14th for other work, and they are to have something for me by then, I don't know what (install cameras, replace the car, offer discount....I will only accept the first two).

I cannot get frontal collision, surround cameras, etc. to come on.

ACC works as advertised, but is not as smooth as the one in my Merc.

Last edited by MattBianco; 08-07-2014 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #22
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by bav29 View Post
Once, my attention was slightly distracted.. when I looked up a car had stopped in front of me and I saw the red car symbol in the HUD AND an audible alarm at which point I braked and the car stopped very quickly. I'm not sure whether 1) the car braked for/with me 2) the brakes were made extra sensitive or 3) I just stamped on the brakes without realizing (I don't think I did)
I've had this happen to me too, got distracted for a second and next thing the alarm goes off and the brakes apply themselves because a car in front of me decided to virtually stop while changing lanes in front of me.
Appreciate 0