BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #23
BKMK5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 MB C43

My pedestrian warning will not stay enabled. Is that the case for everyone else?
SOLD-2011.5 ///M3 Sedan ZCP
SOLD-2008 E90 335i Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 05:14 AM   #24
823BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2020 Tesla Y, 2020 Z4

The best information to date can be found through the IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) testing of front crash prevention systems released 5/29/14. They evaluated the 2014 X5 and found that with the active driving assistant and active driving assistant plus options, the vehicle reduced the speed in a 12 mph collision by 9 mph and in a 25 mph collision by 7 mph gaining it an Advanced rating. Most interesting is that with the active driving assistant, active driving assistant plus, and the adaptive cruise control (ACC), the vehicle avoided a 12 mph collision and nearly avoided the 25 mph collision. Thus, the radar system from the ACC makes a significant difference in the effectiveness of the system and achieves a Superior rating. In the high speed testing, this is better than Volvo's City Safety with the optional collision warning with full auto brake and pedestrian detection. The BMW system also had the same results for the 5 series. Individual vehicles can also be searched at the IIHS site, but here is the link to the status report:
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/sr/statusreport/article/49/4/1
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #25
ellisina4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Just ordered 2015 X5 xDrive50 for my with with
ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant and Driver Assistance Plus.
Wanted to confirm that my X5 will not be able to do something similar that I have in my Audi S6. See link below:

At least I was hopping that X5 will be able to perform the similar function when not using ACC.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 05:48 PM   #26
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisina4 View Post
Just ordered 2015 X5 xDrive50 for my with with
ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant and Driver Assistance Plus.
Wanted to confirm that my X5 will not be able to do something similar that I have in my Audi S6. See link below:

At least I was hopping that X5 will be able to perform the similar function when not using ACC.
If you're vehicle is equipped with both ACC Stop & Go & Driver Assistance Plus, the X5 will work similar to how the video describes the Audi. I'm sure there are subtle variations, but you will get the warning and brake intervention even if the cruise is not active, provided the Frontal Collision Warning function is active. It's possible to turn it off, but it will automatically reactivate whenever you start the car.

If you don't have ACC but do have Driver Assistance Plus, you'll still get similar functionality, it's just more limited. It's intended for driving on surface streets in the city, slower than 35mph according to the owner's manual. Shouldn't matter for you, but FYI.

A couple of differences - I don't believe that the X5 will close the windows and sunroof. And there's no rear collision warning of which I'm aware.

Last edited by DavidTSG; 08-10-2014 at 05:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 10:46 PM   #27
pinstripe1
Rep
Drives: Future X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTSG View Post
If you're vehicle is equipped with both ACC Stop & Go & Driver Assistance Plus, the X5 will work similar to how the video describes the Audi. I'm sure there are subtle variations, but you will get the warning and brake intervention even if the cruise is not active, provided the Frontal Collision Warning function is active. It's possible to turn it off, but it will automatically reactivate whenever you start the car.

If you don't have ACC but do have Driver Assistance Plus, you'll still get similar functionality, it's just more limited. It's intended for driving on surface streets in the city, slower than 35mph according to the owner's manual. Shouldn't matter for you, but FYI.

A couple of differences - I don't believe that the X5 will close the windows and sunroof. And there's no rear collision warning of which I'm aware.
Great information. Where is the info on how these systems work? Even if limited.

I don't understand how BMW can be so cryptic with information on the cars they are selling. When even a well informed group of people like the ones on this board don't understand things...its a problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 10:55 PM   #28
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinstripe1 View Post
Great information. Where is the info on how these systems work? Even if limited.

I don't understand how BMW can be so cryptic with information on the cars they are selling. When even a well informed group of people like the ones on this board don't understand things...its a problem.
I actually got most of this from the owner's manual, believe it or not.

And I have to agree. BMW leaves a lot to be desired with some of their information sharing with regards to specific options and how they work. Takes a lot of reading, scouring the forums & BMW websites, and youtube from owners to understand how things work in any detail. Or experimenting on your own, although can't say I'd recommend that with the collision warning systems.
      09-15-2014, 12:30 AM   #29
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMK5 View Post
My pedestrian warning will not stay enabled. Is that the case for everyone else?
This whole thread is making me worry about considering DA+, not that I really need it, but it's the only way to get Blind Spot Monitoring and since I am paying for Surround View and Rear Cam anyway, I figured I might as well add it, but it sounds like more headache than its worth.. I don't want to make friends with local BMW Service dept.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 05:00 AM   #30
monkray
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 30d M Sport

In case it helps, here is the information that I found in the EU diplomatic price lists. It was the clearest description I have found of the safety features that are being discussed:

5AS Driving Assistant (which is now standard and has lane departure warning) has "Person warning with light city braking function. Approach control warning with light City braking function. Person warning and Approach control warning warn and brake in a speed range from approx. 10 km/h to 60 km/h. Approach control warning also warns of potential collision with a vehicle ahead at higher speeds, with preconditioning of the brakes for faster brake response and shorter braking distances."

With the option 5AT Driving Assistant Plus which adds the Active Cruise Control is says "Including Active Full Braking and slowing to defined speed if there is an acute risk of collision. In addition to vehicles driving ahead, stopped vehicles can also be detected, automatic light braking of the vehicle if there is a risk of collision".

With the option 5AL Active Protection "safety package for initiating protective measures for the occupants if an accident situation is imminent: belt tensioning, windows are closed, sliding sunroof is closed (if fitted), backrests of front passenger seat are positioned (depending on options fitted), automatic braking after crash. Including Attentiveness assistant"

In a nutshell, you get collision warning as standard but no automatic braking, need the 5AT (ACC) option for full automatic braking and the 5AL option for the sunroof closing, coffee break suggestion, etc. No sure how the EU option packages line up with those being offered in the US and other countries....

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #31
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkray View Post
In case it helps, here is the information that I found in the EU diplomatic price lists. It was the clearest description I have found of the safety features that are being discussed:

5AS Driving Assistant (which is now standard and has lane departure warning) has "Person warning with light city braking function. Approach control warning with light City braking function. Person warning and Approach control warning warn and brake in a speed range from approx. 10 km/h to 60 km/h. Approach control warning also warns of potential collision with a vehicle ahead at higher speeds, with preconditioning of the brakes for faster brake response and shorter braking distances."

With the option 5AT Driving Assistant Plus which adds the Active Cruise Control is says "Including Active Full Braking and slowing to defined speed if there is an acute risk of collision. In addition to vehicles driving ahead, stopped vehicles can also be detected, automatic light braking of the vehicle if there is a risk of collision".

With the option 5AL Active Protection "safety package for initiating protective measures for the occupants if an accident situation is imminent: belt tensioning, windows are closed, sliding sunroof is closed (if fitted), backrests of front passenger seat are positioned (depending on options fitted), automatic braking after crash. Including Attentiveness assistant"

In a nutshell, you get collision warning as standard but no automatic braking, need the 5AT (ACC) option for full automatic braking and the 5AL option for the sunroof closing, coffee break suggestion, etc. No sure how the EU option packages line up with those being offered in the US and other countries....
Yes, this is the clearest description so far, although we can't tell since that's coming from Euro specs.
And now that I read a bit further into what BWM website has for X5 clearly states "priming the brakes" and does not mention actually applying them. So it could be preparing the brakes like right at rubbing so that the moment you touch them there is no delay and it's instantaneous. Since ACC does have active braking on cruise, it is ready for the actual brakes in case of someone slowing down in front of you, however it is still not clear if this function works with you have the ACC off or if you are not crusing.

Bottom line: Don't get DA+ expecting to read newspaper and assume BMW will brake for you. It will just nag you to look up before you end up on top of whatever you have in front of you. Sort of like "Watch how I am going to rear end that fool who just stopped short"
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 11:26 PM   #32
BMW06
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Yes, this is the clearest description so far, although we can't tell since that's coming from Euro specs.
And now that I read a bit further into what BWM website has for X5 clearly states "priming the brakes" and does not mention actually applying them. So it could be preparing the brakes like right at rubbing so that the moment you touch them there is no delay and it's instantaneous. Since ACC does have active braking on cruise, it is ready for the actual brakes in case of someone slowing down in front of you, however it is still not clear if this function works with you have the ACC off or if you are not crusing.

Bottom line: Don't get DA+ expecting to read newspaper and assume BMW will brake for you. It will just nag you to look up before you end up on top of whatever you have in front of you. Sort of like "Watch how I am going to rear end that fool who just stopped short"
Found this is from BMW USA site, which clearly explains what Active Driving Assistance does. which includes 4 features:
Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning, Pedestrian Warning, and City Collision Mitigation.

"Active Driving Assistant brings the latest safety technologies to drivers with features like Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning, City Collision Mitigation and Pedestrian Protection.
Lane Departure Warning alerts the driver when he or she is about to exit a lane unintentionally or when approaching the curb. The driver is alerted by a vibration in the steering wheel so drivers can respond accordingly. Forward Collision Warning prevents collisions by warning the driver when approaching a vehicle ahead too quickly. The driver is alerted by an optical warning and an additional alarm. In addition, City Collision Mitigation prevents collisions by automatically braking, even at speeds of 37 mph or more. Pedestrian Protection has the same functionality but specifically prevents pedestrian collisions.
"

Source - http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ty.aspx?Id=687
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 12:51 PM   #33
shellpicker
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3

Thumbs down 2015 x3 Frontal Collision Warning

This system does not work. I bought it in October 2014 and the warning system has never appeared to work. I took it to the dealer on 27 Dec and they kept the car for 13 days saying that they tried everything including replacing the camera. End result was that they said that everything works I just can't see it working. When I coast up behind a car I get no indication that I am closing and no brake is applied. When I drive into the garage again between 3 and 38 mph without my foot on the brake nothing happens. I had my wife stand in the road and drove toward her again no indication of a problem. During engine start I get an icon between the lane lines and this is the last time I see that icon. The green ring is green, all warning labels are checked and the system says that it is working. I have early checked. Anyone with the same problem and if so how did you get it fixed. shellpicker
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 01:22 PM   #34
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

shellpicker , you may be correct.

Q: Do you have ACC? (full braking to a stop as a part of pre collision support)

If you have ACC I can tell you that mine only works at higher speeds when you are a blink of an eye late to respond, triggered by rapid reduction of distance between you and the car in the front. It does not work if you are tailgating when you have 1) deliberately increased risk; and 2) the distance between vehicles is unchanged. Icon goes away after start.

With or without ACC, at lower speeds the pre collision works the same way in that it catches you if you have hesitated or not noticed in time to apply your brakes. Brakes are primed, and when you finally touch them, they bite a lot harder. Passengers might look at you as if you are over reacting because they all feel the jolt from a small tap on the brakes at that point.

It has been triggered in our car mostly when driving in two lane roads, and a car turns into the road from a side street, where the speed delta between the cars is great, and distance reducing rapidly.

I hope yours is working, and that you just have not been in the situation that triggers it. Nothing worse than it not being there when it should.
      01-14-2015, 01:33 PM   #35
shellpicker
Registered
Rep

Thumbs down No ACC

I do not have ACC but all the electronics are there for Frontal Collision Warning. The green ring (security button) is green, the icons are all activated, The required speeds 3-38 are followed but no warning. ACC is not required for the FCW system. Dealer says I don't have a problem but the system doesn't appear to work. It won't light up like the videos, it doesn't stop the car before I hit someone or something. I understand that VOLVO has a crash tester barricade for their cars. Has anyone heard of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 01:45 PM   #36
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellpicker View Post
I do not have ACC.... The required speeds 3-38 are followed.....
Then, all you get is mild braking and or brakes being primed and ready....As described in pages 109-112 of the manual (<- link).

I don't know anything about the Volvo system

Last edited by MattBianco; 01-14-2015 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 03:15 PM   #37
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do not have ACC but all the electronics are there for Frontal Collision Warning. The green ring (security button) is green, the icons are all activated, The required speeds 3-38 are followed but no warning. ACC is not required for the FCW system. Dealer says I don't have a problem but the system doesn't appear to work. It won't light up like the videos, it doesn't stop the car before I hit someone or something. I understand that VOLVO has a crash tester barricade for their cars. Has anyone heard of it.
It is not supposed to stop if you don't have ACC.

After multiple tries to get it activated, I found the best way to test FCMS:

Try at your own risk, if you are not confident, please do not attempt.
Safely put the vehicle in N while moving, as you approach a vehicle that is stopped. Make sure you are going slow about 5-6mph as you come close to the other vehicle, hit the gas (once again, make sure you are in Neutral gear before you do that). As your vehicle slowly rolls closer to the stopped vehicle, you will see that first red car icon will appear on dash or HUD if you have it, then it will start beeping like crazy, then the moment you touch the brakes, literally just barely put your foot on the brake pedal, the vehicle will come to a complete stop. No slow-down, just a major halt, so you make sure that your passenger is ready for that (if you have anyone else in the vehicle).

I think the Collision mitigation activates fully when it senses you are speeding up when you are supposed to be slowing down. It doesn't work that well when you are braking already or when you are just coasting. It is sort of hard-wired to acceleration pedal + proximity sensors, regardless of speed.
      01-14-2015, 03:18 PM   #38
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had my wife stand in the road and drove toward her again no indication of a problem.

Wow, that's pretty extreme...
      01-14-2015, 06:27 PM   #39
shellpicker
Registered
Rep

I get no indication from the system, no beep beep, no icon and no braking. BTW the wife is pretty spry and wasn't injured. She was fully aware of the test however the car wasn't as no brakes were applied, primed or bells and whistles. Guess I will go back to BMW technical support for what ever that will do as they want to keep their jobs and the purchase price has been paid.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 04:19 PM   #40
drimran234
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDRIVE 30D SE 2014

Frontal collision and pedestrian warning does not really work?

Hi All,
I have an X5 2014 with driving assistant which includes Frontal collision and pedestrian warning and lane departure system. I am really disappointed with BMW and I can see from comments that I am not alone. My frontal collision occasionally warns me when a car cuts into way but never when you drive into another car in front moving or stopped, below 35mph. You reach as close as 3-4 feet and it never warns you even on early warning settings. Pedestrian warning never comes up too. Have been to BMW dealer and they said it is working the way it is designed and he re calibrated it as well and still no use. They charge loads of money for every new feature and those dont work as they advertise them. Really disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 09:04 AM   #41
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Wow, that's pretty extreme...
That might work in a court 😢

Judge, I was testing the front collision mitigation system on my BMW. Not sure why it didn’t work this time. But I loved her and I am heart broken 💔
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 11:48 AM   #42
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
I know I’m responding to an old post…but since the thread was brought back up…I can point to some answer to this question that was asked….simply because the answer is as close as iDrive.

Here’s some examples of info about the driving assistance found in the iDrive version of the owners manual (below).
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 04:27 PM   #43
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

So strange. So I got X5 2016 50 with all these assistances. Lane departure does not make wheel vibrating. Blind spot zone control as well. Front collision warning does indicate red car warning but to audio alarm.

I also have 2014 650i with all these assistances and blind spot and lane departure vibrate wheel when activate. Do not know why X5 does not do that... Any way how to turn it on?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 07:21 AM   #44
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport Metallic Whit

[QUOTE=Kolianovskyi;30287350]So strange. So I got X5 2016 50 with all these assistances. Lane departure does not make wheel vibrating. Blind spot zone control as well. Front collision warning does indicate red car warning but to audio alarm.

I also have 2014 650i with all these assistances and blind spot and lane departure vibrate wheel when activate. Do not know why X5 does not do that... Any way how to turn it on?

I have a 2015 X5 35d MSport with Driver Assistant Plus (among a ton of other options ). The collision intervention did come on the other day when the car in front of me suddenly braked hard and I was not reacting quite quick enough. Brakes were applied strongly by the system and seat belts pretentioned. There was also a Collision Warning (triangle) in the HUD and dash (never seen that before - guess I’ve been driving carefully haha). I regularly get the orange vehicle warning when a car cuts in front or my passing manoever comes a little close for the system’s liking. What I experienced was not the same thing - definitely next level intervention.

Make sure that the buttton under the 4-way flashers has a green circle led on around it - if it’s green your safety systems should all be on and working as designed. If it’s orange (partly on) or not on at all, then check the setting as explained above in the i-drive. It’s not really something you should try to set off on purpose - there’s real danger of collision when it triggers.
Appreciate 0