BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
MJF120
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 25D

My BMW Remote?

I have downloaded the 'my BMW remote' app for android and whilst I can log in and it shows my VIN and a picture of my car it does virtually nothing else! There is no lock/unlock control and the locate option doesn't work.

I called BMW and was told I didn't add the Connecteddrive Services package (£230) and that this was unfortunate as "for some reason it can only be added in the factory". He even added that it's standard but not on X models?

The BMW UK website site has a list of models that can use these features and after listing various models adds "any other BMW built after September 2008". The F15 is not mentioned but would clearly therefore fall into the anything else after 2008 category. I don't really need these features but I do feel they should be there!

Is it the same in other markets and has anyone actually successfully used this functionality?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

I believe it is standard in the US as I got it working with my 2012 F10 and 2014 F15.
Also, I am using iPhone.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 12:19 AM   #3
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF120 View Post
I have downloaded the 'my BMW remote' app for android and whilst I can log in and it shows my VIN and a picture of my car it does virtually nothing else! There is no lock/unlock control and the locate option doesn't work.

I called BMW and was told I didn't add the Connecteddrive Services package (£230) and that this was unfortunate as "for some reason it can only be added in the factory". He even added that it's standard but not on X models?

The BMW UK website site has a list of models that can use these features and after listing various models adds "any other BMW built after September 2008". The F15 is not mentioned but would clearly therefore fall into the anything else after 2008 category. I don't really need these features but I do feel they should be there!

Is it the same in other markets and has anyone actually successfully used this functionality?
Hi. Yes you have to order the Connected Drive option @ £230 to enable remote services like auxiliary heating to work as one would expect.
I ordered the aux heating and only just realised you really need the extra option before my car goes into production...hopefully this week!
I feel for you...BMW dealers really don't know the product they sell. It's only by reading this forum did I realise what works with what.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 01:09 AM   #4
igorsvrub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
I believe it is standard in the US as I got it working with my 2012 F10 and 2014 F15.
Also, I am using iPhone.
What you are able to do with this feature???
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 01:18 AM   #5
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

In our country We don't have remote Control at all, no automatic Emergency...stone age in the land of Nokia. However, I Was told by Someone You Can Control it via a non BMW app. What app exactly, I Can't help You yet as I don't have a Iphone/Android yet, but am Going To get one once the Car is here.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 01:50 AM   #6
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsvrub View Post
What you are able to do with this feature???
All is revealed, well, kind of...

http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/topics/di.../tech-hub.html

Click through on Optional Technologies and/or ConnectedDrive Services Package.

This is the Option package from my invoice:
ZNS ConnectedDrive Services package:
6AN Information Plus
6AP Remote Services
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 01:51 AM   #7
igorsvrub
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip1 View Post
In our country We don't have remote Control at all, no automatic Emergency...stone age in the land of Nokia. However, I Was told by Someone You Can Control it via a non BMW app. What app exactly, I Can't help You yet as I don't have a Iphone/Android yet, but am Going To get one once the Car is here.
What country you are talking about???
Finland???
P.S. Think that it will be easier to put in your profile/location tour country as difficult to understand you.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 02:16 AM   #8
igorsvrub
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
All is revealed, well, kind of...

http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/topics/di.../tech-hub.html

Click through on Optional Technologies and/or ConnectedDrive Services Package.

This is the Option package from my invoice:
ZNS ConnectedDrive Services package:
6AN Information Plus
6AP Remote Services
Thanx, trying to understand which services I have, as at the moment of ordering dealer was not able to explained me clearly what is what, so ordered:
*5AS-Driving assistant(not sure if it is related to subject we are talking about);
*614-Internet preparation;
*6AL-BMW live;
*230-EU specific supplementary equipment;
Trying to find in internet what is what
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 02:17 AM   #9
Sean_250
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: X5 30D SE

On the iPhone app the remote services we have in the UK are lock/unlock the car and flash headlights. Tested both and they work - though there is a delay - but pretty cool!

The Climate feature lets you turn the fans on in the car to recirculate any residual warmth from the engine. Not tried this yet. As Baunton says you can also control Aux heating if you have specified it.
The bit I've used most is Online Search. This is Google but really easy to send Nav details to the car.

You can also do similar stuff direct from the ConnectedDrive website. You can add your email address to receive mail and set-up auto responses but haven't done this yet.
Overall I like it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 02:25 AM   #10
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_250 View Post
On the iPhone app the remote services we have in the UK are lock/unlock the car and flash headlights. Tested both and they work - though there is a delay - but pretty cool!

The Climate feature lets you turn the fans on in the car to recirculate any residual warmth from the engine. Not tried this yet. As Baunton says you can also control Aux heating if you have specified it.
The bit I've used most is Online Search. This is Google but really easy to send Nav details to the car.

You can also do similar stuff direct from the ConnectedDrive website. You can add your email address to receive mail and set-up auto responses but haven't done this yet.
Overall I like it.
WRT Auxiliary Heating (536 Auxiliary heating with 'remote control'), hopefully I get my car in time for Winter 2014/15 to try it out
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 02:41 AM   #11
igorsvrub
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_250 View Post

Overall I like it.
Thanx Sean
When you ordered the car which option you ordered to be able to use
lock/unlock the car and flash headlights(do not have aux.heating)???
As most likely I will have a delay 1-1.5 months for car delivery(production not yet started), think that still can change options.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 03:35 AM   #12
Sean_250
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: X5 30D SE

ZNS ConnectedDrive Services.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 03:59 AM   #13
MJF120
Private
Rep

ZNS ConnectedDrive Services is the package you need - the detail on BMW's website is not bad now (http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/topics/di.../tech-hub.html) but I don't think this information was online back when I ordered.

It does seem strange that they have set things up in this way. The car clearly has a SIM card as it can make emergency calls. I can also send messages to my car and I can log in to the ConnectedDrive website, plan navigation routes and download them to my car without connecting my phone to the car.

I suppose they must prevent use of the locking/unlocking and location options to entice people to take ZNS. That being the case its strange that this is a factory option only - because it sounds like the hardware is there and they could switch it on.

Also, if you expand the 'My BMW remote' item on this page (http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/topics/ow...lications.html) it clearly states that all BMW's built after September 2008 (apart from the Z4) can use the door Remote Door lock/unlock feature. Which appears not to be true.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 05:18 AM   #14
igorsvrub
Private First Class
Rep

Thanx guys!!!
All clear.
But seems like ZNS is not available in my country(Latvia) as I can not see this option in the list which was provided by bmw official dealer
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 05:34 AM   #15
MJF120
Private
Rep

ZNS is called 'ConnectedDrive Services package' in the UK and consists of two items;
- Information Plus (S06AN)
- Remote Services (S06AP)
In the UK these can only be added together as the package - are these items available on your option list individually?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #16
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsvrub View Post
What country you are talking about???
Finland???
P.S. Think that it will be easier to put in your profile/location tour country as difficult to understand you.

Yes, Finland
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 01:07 AM   #17
igorsvrub
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF120 View Post
ZNS is called 'ConnectedDrive Services package' in the UK and consists of two items;
- Information Plus (S06AN)
- Remote Services (S06AP)
In the UK these can only be added together as the package - are these items available on your option list individually?
Looks like not
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 03:54 AM   #18
x5pilot
Fragile Explosion
Rep
Drives: X5 40d Msport

Ive been using the App on Andriod since early March.
I was advised by my dealer to go with Connected Drive and he included as an extra for me (almost not giving me a choice in the matter) - Little did I realise at the time it would become a core requirement for the remote app.
Options available to me are: Flash headlights, Lock/Unlock car and climate control.
Alongside that is Vehicle Position - a feature that is very temperamental!
I've also got Aux Heating and although I've little reason to use it at the moment (due to warmer days) it does work well - although the app is a bit clunky and really needs the delay improved (between phone and car)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 07:11 AM   #19
S1OOORR
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 X5

Have anyone tried using remote on an Android phone
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 08:08 AM   #20
LowerEast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Does anyone in the US have access to the climate features? My iphone app (v 2.8) only shows options for vehicle location, online search, lock / unlock, horn and headlights.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 08:21 AM   #21
x5pilot
Fragile Explosion
Rep
Drives: X5 40d Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1OOORR View Post
Have anyone tried using remote on an Android phone
I thought I answered that above?
Sorry if I was unclear, yes I use the Remote App all the time.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #22
S1OOORR
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 X5

Sorry I over look that post
Appreciate 0