05-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #23
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia View Post
Thanks, guys.

Wasn't really sure if black rims would look ok with my car because or the satin roof rails, but you guys have reassured me.

Z.
In all honesty, I have a new found appreciation for Space Gray after seeing your car with those wheels. At first, I was like, hm, why didn't he get the silver finish because it's quite shiny. The black wheels actually blend really well with your color, but I really think it's because of the style you chose. It just looks very stealth-like. That's actually my favorite ACS wheel design after seeing the new blue ACS X5 a few months ago. Like others have said, no need to lower it. It looks good as is .
      05-25-2014, 03:23 PM   #24
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
In all honesty, I have a new found appreciation for Space Gray after seeing your car with those wheels. At first, I was like, hm, why didn't he get the silver finish because it's quite shiny. The black wheels actually blend really well with your color, but I really think it's because of the style you chose. It just looks very stealth-like. That's actually my favorite ACS wheel design after seeing the new blue ACS X5 a few months ago. Like others have said, no need to lower it. It looks good as is .
Thanks, Opasha. I had a silver car prior, and wanted something different. I was actually looking for an Imperial Blue, but didn't make them in M-Sport. So, I went with Space Grey. I was a little worried about getting black rims also, because I have satin roof rails and thought it might not match so well. That's why I was going to see if satin grilles will balance out the silver with all the black parts I have. If I knew I would end up with black rims, I would've stuck with shadow line roof rails...always 20/20 in hindsight.

I think you and others are right. I think it looks fine without lowering. The weather's better today and I took another look and I think it looks fine.

BTW, here are the photos of the M brakes. Front and rear.

Z.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 03:43 PM   #25
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Thank you for the brake pics! They look good. I think I'll be doing this upgrade in the near future along with the M steering wheel .
      05-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #26
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

My rear brake calipers are blue...
      05-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #27
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Can you point me in the right direction where to buy? I haven't been able to find the rears. Thank you!

I didn't find a really good picture for the rears on your car except here, and they may be closer to a dark navy or black like above:

05-28-2014, 03:44 AM   #28
Zipforia
Captain
Rep

I got some photos back from the guys at ACS. They took some photos after installing the rims. You can see the wheel well gaps better here and they also did a rendering of how it might look if it's lowered. They front lowered wheels look a bit extreme on the rendered picture.

Z.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 04:14 AM   #29
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

All I can say about renders and lowering an SUV in general - hideous, plain hideous. So definitely thumbs up for your current non-lowered change!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 04:18 AM   #30
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383 View Post
All I can say about renders and lowering an SUV in general - hideous, plain hideous. So definitely thumbs up for your current non-lowered change!
Fully agree, your car looks great now, time to stop!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 04:57 AM   #31
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Great pics, Z - the rendering does give a pretty good idea. I agree with 1230vani and Armen383...it's perfect as is. Are you still searching for titanium grills? Any luck? If you don't like the titanium, are you going to go for an all black grill look?
      05-28-2014, 11:26 AM   #32
Zipforia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
Fully agree, your car looks great now, time to stop!
Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Great pics, Z - the rendering does give a pretty good idea. I agree with 1230vani and Armen383...it's perfect as is. Are you still searching for titanium grills? Any luck? If you don't like the titanium, are you going to go for an all black grill look?
Thanks, guys, for the input. I'm going to keep it as is. I just thought it was interesting to see how it might look lowered.

Opasha

I'm still looking. wdimagineer was going to sell me his, but he has night vision, which supposedly has additional holes for the camera so wont fit properly. I found one on eBay for $75/grille, but that's more than I want to spend on something I might not keep. If you know someone that might be interested in selling their's for around $100, let me know. Once I get it, if it doesn't look right, I might just go with the black M grilles.

Z.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 02:37 PM   #33
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, guys, for the input. I'm going to keep it as is. I just thought it was interesting to see how it might look lowered.

Opasha

I'm still looking. wdimagineer was going to sell me his, but he has night vision, which supposedly has additional holes for the camera so wont fit properly. I found one on eBay for $75/grille, but that's more than I want to spend on something I might not keep. If you know someone that might be interested in selling their's for around $100, let me know. Once I get it, if it doesn't look right, I might just go with the black M grilles.

Z.
Sounds good, Z. I'll keep you posted if I spot a good deal .
      05-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #34
atomic80
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Mine are also blue too. Odd that zipforia's is black? Did you buy the entire kit or just partial? It should have come with 4 rotors, calipers, etc.

I saw these ACS wheels at the Bimmerfest and I wasn't really crazy about them. I like the 599M's much better but of course it's all personal preference. We have the same color, Space Grey.

As for how to take pictures without a DSLR...it really is all about lighting, composition and placement. I've taken a bunch of nice shots with just a P&S.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 06:32 PM   #35
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic80 View Post
Mine are also blue too. Odd that zipforia's is black? Did you buy the entire kit or just partial? It should have come with 4 rotors, calipers, etc.

I saw these ACS wheels at the Bimmerfest and I wasn't really crazy about them. I like the 599M's much better but of course it's all personal preference. We have the same color, Space Grey.

As for how to take pictures without a DSLR...it really is all about lighting, composition and placement. I've taken a bunch of nice shots with just a P&S.

I'll have to look into the full brake kit when ordering - any recommendations on where to buy for the best price? I guess getbmwparts is still the best price.

I, myself, prefer a machined alloy finish, which our wheels (599 and 310) have because it really shines when cleaned. Black wheels are a hit or miss in my opinion, but I think these ACS are subtle. Normally, black wheels just disappear, but the finish on Z's works for the Space Grey; they add an aggressive look without appearing awkward. I hate chrome wheels with a passion. You're 100% right about it being a personal preference as everyone's definition of perfection/beauty varies.

I figured as much in regards to angles and lighting, but are there any specific filters/effects you recommend with a point and shoot? I've been using macro lately on my Note 3 in order to really bring the primary image into perspective. I just really like the way you captured the night garage scenes of your X5. The image quality and angles are amazing. Is that at all possible with my Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX20 16.2 MP Exmor R CMOS Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom? Thanks!
      05-28-2014, 07:08 PM   #36
atomic80
Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, possible with a tripod and using manual settings to override the automatic settings usually associated with these cameras.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #37
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, possible with a tripod and using manual settings to override the automatic settings usually associated with these cameras.
Much appreciated, Jason .
      05-29-2014, 12:23 AM   #38
Zipforia
Captain
Rep

Brakes came with all 4 calipers, rotors, cables, etc. Just came like that. I thought that's just how it's suppose to be. Everything works....works great actually. Definitely better stopping power than the stock.

You guys are right on wheels being personal preference. I'm not a fan of OEM/OEM replica wheels. Just makes the car look too stock to me...almost like an option that I chose when I was building my car. Can't tell if that's how the car was built or if the car's been modded. That's why I prefer aftermarket. Give it a personal touch. But that's the great thing about this forum. We get to see everyone's side and views.

Atomic

Modded your X5 some more since we last saw your pics? It was shaping up to be a badass!

Z.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 12:52 AM   #39
atomic80
Lieutenant
Rep

Zip, I actually have a few things in store and will share them with you folks when it's done. Stay tuned on that. I also actually got to test out the brakes setup on Angles Crest Highway recently and they worked perfectly! This thing really hauls both up and down the hill!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 01:33 AM   #40
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

Quote:
Definitely better stopping power than the stock
USD 3,500 better (or in my case - EUR 3,298 + labor)? I'm going for the Hartge tune after the break-in, so extra stopping power is probably a good idea. But still having very mixed feelings about these... It's sort of that: "I want to, but does it really make a difference unless you're going track driver mode all the time"? I can guess that the Brembo perforated ones do, but these... hmmm, someone convince me

P.S. Just checked via BMW online ETK for both front and rear caliper housing part it says in the supplement section: "DUNKELBLAU" so I'm still wondering how come some folks got black calipers in the rear instead of dark blue all around )
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 02:03 AM   #41
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
USD 3,500 better (or in my case - EUR 3,298 + labor)? I'm going for the Hartge tune after the break-in, so extra stopping power is probably a good idea. But still having very mixed feelings about these... It's sort of that: "I want to, but does it really make a difference unless you're going track driver mode all the time"? I can guess that the Brembo perforated ones do, but these... hmmm, someone convince me

P.S. Just checked via BMW online ETK for both front and rear caliper housing part it says in the supplement section: "DUNKELBLAU" so I'm still wondering how come some folks got black calipers in the rear instead of dark blue all around )
Well, BMW needs to get their eyes checked because the front caliphers are most definitely not dark blue. They look more royal blue. I can now believe though that the rear caliphers are dark blue. I don't know if it's the lighting, but they don't seem to match, which is quite disappointing. The only person that actually took a decent photograph where you can properly see the color comparison of both front and rear brake caliphers is atomic80 (zoom in and you'll see what I mean):

05-29-2014, 08:40 AM   #42
atomic80
Lieutenant
Rep

I can say that they DO make a huge difference in stopping power over the stock brakes. I just returned from a 3200 mile road trip over almost 2 weeks down to California and back. I drove on all sorts of roads from highways, twisties, back roads, etc..and these brakes performed magnificently. I can't recommend them enough as a result. I honestly think that these brakes are perfect. The Brembos are a bit overkill IMHO and on top of that I think the 'royal blue' complements the X5 perfectly. Still not sure why Zip's rear calipers are black but mine (and wdimagineer) are blue.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 01:32 PM   #43
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I can say that they DO make a huge difference in stopping power over the stock brakes. I just returned from a 3200 mile road trip over almost 2 weeks down to California and back. I drove on all sorts of roads from highways, twisties, back roads, etc..and these brakes performed magnificently. I can't recommend them enough as a result. I honestly think that these brakes are perfect. The Brembos are a bit overkill IMHO and on top of that I think the 'royal blue' complements the X5 perfectly. Still not sure why Zip's rear calipers are black but mine (and wdimagineer) are blue.
Thanks for the feedback, Jason. I definitely notice that the stock brakes take some time before actually getting the car to stop. Before, people said that the brakes were merely for aesthetic purposes. However, based on your experience, the M Performance brakes definitely seem to be stronger. I agree that the blue color accentuates the car very well .

Z, where did you buy your brakes? I want to make sure I don't buy from a company that gives me the black color. Thank you .
      05-29-2014, 03:21 PM   #44
Zipforia
Captain
Rep

@Opasha

I got mine from Ben.

Z.
Appreciate 0