BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-22-2018, 09:43 AM   #67
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by menelaos View Post
The criteria you listed probably apply to 90% of leases, I doubt they have such liberal criteria.
As for "engineers", I had to assume that BMW does some sort of further research in order to warranty vehicles.
If you'd study the spectrum of lease returns available for sale through each of the channels I've mentioned, your perspective and 90% guess would change drastically.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 01:35 PM   #68
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
If you'd study the spectrum of lease returns available for sale through each of the channels I've mentioned, your perspective and 90% guess would change drastically.
So you think most lease returns are in bad shape?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 01:59 PM   #69
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocksmithNick View Post
This is one of the more ridiculous things I’ve read on this forum. Be careful with CPO’s?! Huh?!?
I can relate to what he is saying, the only serious issues I have had were on cars that were CPO's, whereas I have had good luck with used cars from private sellers. It just comes down to the luck of the draw.

All he is saying is that CPO doesn't give you immunity from something going wrong and when considering a CPO you have to be just as diligent as you would be if the car wasn't CPO.

Last edited by Chadmatic; 03-22-2018 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
menelaos1226.00
      03-22-2018, 02:29 PM   #70
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTeeX5 View Post
What is the hassle you'd have to go through? Take the car in to have BMW fix the issue while you get a loaner to drive? Doesn't seem like more hassle to me.
Yep, I'd define that as a hassle. I had to do that for 5 weeks with a Mercedes CPO that they couldn't seem to get right, it was a major hassle and I had major buyer's remorse! Wished i would have gone with the runner-up from a private seller instead.

Last edited by Chadmatic; 03-22-2018 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 02:37 PM   #71
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadmatic View Post
Yep, I'd define that as a hassle. I had to do that for 5 weeks with a Mercedes CPO that they couldn't seem to get right, it was a major hassle and I had major buyer's remorse! Wished i would have gone with the runner-up from a private seller instead.
Am buying you lunch man, never had such a staunch supporter!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 02:40 PM   #72
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Am buying you lunch man, never had such a staunch supporter!
Ha! I'm just being realistic.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 02:42 PM   #73
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

Quote:
Same thing you'd do do with a new vehicle warranty if something breaks. How is that more of a hassle than not having the CPO? You also would have had no idea if the runner-up would have had the same or other issues. This seems more like you didn't do all the necessary homework. No one is saying you should just trust the CPO cert and not do your own homework first.

With CPO:
- Take it to BMW dealer to diagnose - Free
- Leave it at BMW to have them fix - Free
- Get a loaner - Free
All of the above can be done in one fell swoop at no addtl out of pocket cost.

Without CPO:
- Pay for a diagnoses and hope it's right - ~$100- $200
- Schedule a visit for a repair and deal with estimates that are all over the place
- File an insurance claim or deal with a rental company to have a vehicle
I'm assuming no one is just forking money over to any place that can fix their car when out of warranty.
Wheels: Winter - 469m; Summer - Vossen CV7 22s

2018 X1 28i M-Sport
Appreciate 1
CT335xi682.50
      03-22-2018, 02:52 PM   #74
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Same thing you'd do do with a new vehicle warranty if something breaks. How is that more of a hassle than not having the CPO? You also would have had no idea if the runner-up would have had the same or other issues. This seems more like you didn't do all the necessary homework. No one is saying you should just trust the CPO cert and not do your own homework first.
Are you seriously suggesting that I didn't do all of my necessary homework because I didn't uncover the fact that the CPO would have major failure 6 months down the road? The CPO and the runner up from the private seller still had over a year left on the manufacturer's warranty so this repair would have been covered either way.

You are missing the point... the CPO isn't necessarily the best choice when shopping for a pre-owned car. Take my X5 for example, it has been meticulously serviced and cared for, and has never had a single issue. I will likely sell it before the factory warranty expires and you will not find it on a BMW used car lot in the form of a CPO because it will be sold privately. I will disclose all of the details of my ownership and provide helpful insight to all potential buyers. The new owner will then have the remaining factory warranty and they will have the option to purchase an extended warranty if they choose to. As a used car buyer, I would much rather have this type of a buying experience than rolling the dice with a random used car salesman who is willing to say anything to make the deal and make his monthly quota. CPO or not, you will likely never know the car's true history from the dealer.

Quote:
With CPO:
- Take it to BMW dealer to diagnose - Free
- Leave it at BMW to have them fix - Free
- Get a loaner - Free
All of the above can be done in one fell swoop at no addtl out of pocket cost.
Is all of that really free, or did you actually pay a premium for it up front in the form of a CPO?

Quote:
Without CPO:
- Pay for a diagnoses and hope it's right - ~$100- $200
- Schedule a visit for a repair and deal with estimates that are all over the place
- File an insurance claim or deal with a rental company to have a vehicle
I'm assuming no one is just forking money over to any place that can fix their car when out of warranty.
I'm assuming you mean "Without CPO and Out of Warranty". If I still own the car when it is out of warranty, I will take it to a reputable independent shop and avoid the dealership premium.

Last edited by Chadmatic; 03-22-2018 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 02:58 PM   #75
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Are you seriously suggesting that I didn't do all of my necessary homework because I didn't uncover the fact that the CPO would have major failure 6 months down the road?
Didn't word that well. My point is that whether someone chooses to go with a CPO or not, it's still necessary to do the homework to make sure any major issues are addressed or understand what the potential issues are. No one should blindly purchase a CPO just because it's certified. I'd rather have the CPO than not.

How much would that issue have been to fix had it not been covered?

2018 X1 28i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #76
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Cars are boxed entities, in the sense that the most sensitive/expensive part is covered.
As such, it's impossible to know how car will be tomorrow, much less years from now.
For CPOs you pay a premium up front and that's what makes me reserved about them.
The 2 cars I bought from individuals were in great shape, knock on wood for the X5!
When I sold my Saab to an enthusiast last year, he scrutinized every part of it.
When he took the engine out after he bought it and checked the valves, they were clean like a hospital restroom.
That was because I was changing oil frequently.
Should you find individuals that maintain their vehicles, give them some consideration.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #77
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Cars are boxed entities, in the sense that the most sensitive/expensive part is covered.
As such, it's impossible to know how car will be tomorrow, much less years from now.
For CPOs you pay a premium up front and that's what makes me reserved about them.
The 2 cars I bought from individuals were in great shape, knock on wood for the X5!
When I sold my Saab to an enthusiast last year, he scrutinized every part of it.
When he took the engine out after he bought it and checked the valves, they were clean like a hospital restroom.
That was because I was changing oil frequently.
Should you find individuals that maintain their vehicles, give them some consideration.
But you're buying a BMW, bucking up a few grand more for a CPO shouldn't be a problem right?

2018 X1 28i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 03:32 PM   #78
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
But you're buying a BMW, bucking up a few grand more for a CPO shouldn't be a problem right?
For sure, it's just that I ran into this vehicle and guy was great. Did not even inspect despite prior salvage title.
I was actually looking into an Audi S4, but backed out due to space.
Was never an SUV guy, much less automatic....but it was a good opportunity and I took it. My SAAB was also "young", 12K miles at the time.
Not sure if CPOs can be found at that low mileage...unless, I guess, you find an opportunity in a premature lease return.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #79
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Didn't word that well. My point is that whether someone chooses to go with a CPO or not, it's still necessary to do the homework to make sure any major issues are addressed or understand what the potential issues are. No one should blindly purchase a CPO just because it's certified.
That's exactly what I'm saying!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 03:45 PM   #80
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep

Quote:

In regards to having paid it as CPO, depends on the deal you get and it's a sunk cost. In most cases I'd rather pay for the peace of mind up front if it's reasonable to me and not have a surprise bill.

2018 X1 28i M-Sport
Appreciate 1
Chadmatic660.50
      03-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #81
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thing is, in principle, does it make sense to bring another mechanic to certify it as well? Double-certification!
If you don't trust the certifieds, who do you trust?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 05:47 PM   #82
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M Sport - G05

Garage List
In no scenario does it make sense to buy from a private seller over dealership w/ CPO.

You’ll just never convince me.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 05:50 PM   #83
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
In no scenario does it make sense to buy from a private seller over dealership w/ CPO.

You’ll just never convince me.

What if the premium you pay for the CPO could instead go to mods, or, say, DHP?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 06:22 PM   #84
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What if the premium you pay for the CPO could instead go to mods, or, say, DHP?
Lol you spent 30k on a base X5, non m sport, and are about to spend $5,000 to make it KINDA look like an M sport. I paid $39k and got a LOADED, REAL M sport with a REAL warranty from BMW. I’ve already gotten a few things fixed at no charge, got a loaner for a day or two at no charge, and will be covered and worry free of catastrophic failure for another 2 years or 60,000 more miles.

I don’t even know where you’re coming from with all of this terrible, terrible, advice.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 06:29 PM   #85
BobBeau
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Forgive my ignorance but does BMW not give loaner vehicles if you're out of warranty and are paying for service or have a third party extended warranty? I got a loaner when I brought my 2005 Lincoln aviator in for service and it had 150,000 miles on it.
Appreciate 1
Chadmatic660.50
      03-22-2018, 06:37 PM   #86
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Lol you spent 30k on a base X5, non m sport, and are about to spend $5,000 to make it KINDA look like an M sport. I paid $39k and got a LOADED, REAL M sport with a REAL warranty from BMW. I’ve already gotten a few things fixed at no charge, got a loaner for a day or two at no charge, and will be covered and worry free of catastrophic failure for another 2 years or 60,000 more miles.

I don’t even know where you’re coming from with all of this terrible, terrible, advice.
Mine had 17k miles -barely used. And it was not close to release of G05.
if you could get the same car you got in April '17 for 39k, good for you, but I doubt it.
I could probably get the same car -my car that is- for around 25k now, even on low mileage.
I think you should stop bragging because timing is everything in the car market.
There are X5Ms out there for mid 60s and nodody buys them now in anticipation of a new model. Cars lose value very very quickly.

You're not smarter that we are, maybe luckier, which is ok.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 06:47 PM   #87
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Mine had 17k miles -barely used. And it was not close to release of G05.
if you could get the same car you got in April '17 for 39k, good for you, but I doubt it.
I could probably get the same car -my car that is- for around 25k now, even on low mileage.
I think you should stop bragging because timing is everything in the car market.
There are X5Ms out there for mid 60s and nodody buys them now in anticipation of a new model. Cars lose value very very quickly.

You're not smarter that we are, maybe luckier, which is ok.
😂😂😂 I literally bought mine in May of 2017...2 weeks after having a baby and realizing our X3 was too small.

Solid guess 👍🏻

And don’t worry, I think most can tell who’s smarter 😉
Appreciate 1
CT335xi682.50
      03-22-2018, 07:39 PM   #88
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For sure, it's just that I ran into this vehicle and guy was great. Did not even inspect despite prior salvage title.
I was actually looking into an Audi S4, but backed out due to space.
Was never an SUV guy, much less automatic....but it was a good opportunity and I took it. My SAAB was also "young", 12K miles at the time.
Not sure if CPOs can be found at that low mileage...unless, I guess, you find an opportunity in a premature lease return.
Wait a second....your X5 has a salvaged title?
Appreciate 0