BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-21-2018, 10:53 AM   #23
chiplee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Just following up on this now that we've owned the LC200 for a few months. There are things we really miss about the X5, as expected, but the salve for most of those is "assured reliability, local service, and no pressure to replace the LC every 3-4 years."

The LC's tech is antiquated to say the least, which we've gotten used to, but it would infuriate some X5 owners. Things BMW engineers bothered to think of/implement become second nature after nearly a decade of driving X5s, and we frequently wonder how Toyota has gotten away with giving consumers so little for so much money. Again, the answer is "bulletproof reliability." In the Land Cruiser's case especially, one LC200 probably conservatively provides three X5's worth of value in the pure utility sense. Time will tell if it's still hauling us around in 15 years and 300,000 miles, but it's our call. With the X5 that would require about 250,000 paranoid miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 04:29 PM   #24
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiplee View Post
but we ultimately jumped ship for a 2017 Toyota Land Cruiser.
Any particular reason you did not consider or purchase the Lexus version?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #25
chiplee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Any particular reason you did not consider or purchase the Lexus version?
No local service. Price. Future plans for the vehicle include overland expedition style stuff.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      03-21-2018, 06:40 PM   #26
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Gotcha. The price difference is almost negligible and basically to me one appeals more than other by design or badge or both. The options and other factors really have no selling point over one or the other.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 09:12 PM   #27
chiplee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Gotcha. The price difference is almost negligible and basically to me one appeals more than other by design or badge or both. The options and other factors really have no selling point over one or the other.
Well, due to a rather fortunate set of circumstances my price on the LC ended up starting with a 6, so it was a big difference relative to the deals available on LX570 at the time. But that was secondary to the other considerations. I would love to have power fold third row seats, a power lift gate and hud for the wife. Those are only available in Lexus trim.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 08:46 AM   #28
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Agreed... but I what I meant is most people shopping the LC may overlook those options because the price difference is greater than the option(s) are worth.
Appreciate 0