BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-28-2017, 01:32 AM   #1
The Expendble
Rep
Drives: 2012 Ford Fusion

Buying a 2014 X5

Hello everyone,

I am planning to buy used 2014 X5 (xdrive 35i), 7 seater, and with rear seat entertainment.
The Price: $29,500
Mileage: 120,000 miles / 194,000 KMS
No Warranty.

I have a few concerns/ Qns / from all the helpful memebers owning same car. I have been reading the forum last 2 days, and learned lot of things. but then again

1. How is the reliability of a 2014 model with that mileage? I am planning to use for 4-5 years from now and for that price i cant find another tech-featured car.

2. I will replace the analog instrument cluster with 6WB. Is the coding part difficult? How will you reset the mileage or carry over the mileage details from current to new? I am going through opasha's thread but all the images are down.

3. I will also probably replace the 10.5" with that supports Android intarface/ Google maps etc. How good is this set up? The prices are not that high, its around $500 -> https://avinusa.com/10-25-bmw-x5-x6-...on-system.html

4. The Headlights -> I noticed the lights are white with slight yellow hint. Does the 2015 model have bluish hint?

5. After 4 years, is your car still solid or does it come with issues occassionally?

6. Can you change the orange color HUD speed indication to white or something?

7. No Spare tire?

-

The Cons:

I did a test drive in this vehicle and tbh, even in comfort mode its not very comfortable, specially while taking small bumps. I dont know why. Also the interior has all these squeaky noises from the plastics, when gettin in, touching your legs on the door from inside, and while placing your hand in the middle storage. That was annoying. Also the leg room for 2nd row is very poor. It was difficult for me to get in. I cant fit myself properly. I did not even try the 3rd row. I was surprised when my 2012 Ford Fusion Sedan is more spacious than an SUV. These concerns kept me worried and i am unable to decide.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 01:59 AM   #2
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

where are you located?
1. the 35i is the most reliable engine. the mileage wouldnt scare me as long as it was well mantained.

2. install and coding. there are threads on here about installation.

3. that looks pretty cool.

4. does this x5 have xenon projector headlights? if so, you can change the bulbs to get a different color(temp) output.

5. my x5 has 92k miles and drives like new

6. there may be an option in coding.

7. spare is optional if you didnt have 3rd row seat. either put spare in cargo area, or if you have runflats, then just drive without it.

does this x5 have 20 inch wheels with runflats? it will ride a bit rough. could switch to non runflat tires but you dont have a spare, so....
squeeky plastics? you live in a hot climate??
3rd row is just for kids.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2017, 03:47 AM   #3
The Expendble
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
where are you located?
1. the 35i is the most reliable engine. the mileage wouldnt scare me as long as it was well mantained.

2. install and coding. there are threads on here about installation.

3. that looks pretty cool.

4. does this x5 have xenon projector headlights? if so, you can change the bulbs to get a different color(temp) output.

5. my x5 has 92k miles and drives like new

6. there may be an option in coding.

7. spare is optional if you didnt have 3rd row seat. either put spare in cargo area, or if you have runflats, then just drive without it.

does this x5 have 20 inch wheels with runflats? it will ride a bit rough. could switch to non runflat tires but you dont have a spare, so....
squeeky plastics? you live in a hot climate??
3rd row is just for kids.
Thanks turboawd for the input.

It does not have xenon, its the reflective LED. I know i cant do anything about it, but the newer BMWs have bluish white on reflectors, right?

What does runflat mean? Below is the picture of the car. Looks like 20"

And yes, i live in Middle East, extreme hot climates in summer. Any way to fix the squeaky noises inside the car?

What do u think of the price?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 04:01 AM   #4
turboawd
Banned
Rep

those led lights are a premium option and cost more than xenon. the light output should be very white, no yellow. unless bmw does something different for your market.

at least here in the usa, bmw installs runflat tires on almost all the vehicles they sell. if you get a flat, you can still drive on the flat tire at reduced speeds and short distance. and since that x5 you are looking at has the 20inch wheels, more than likely it has runflat tires.
as for the squeeky interior, usually not too many complaints on this forum for that. i wonder if the extreme heat does something to the plastics. the one thing that does occur sometimes is a squeeky rear hatch, which can be fixed.

you can see other x5 on youtube to see how the led lights look. @1:43
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 07:21 AM   #5
Habs11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

IMO opinion price is way too high - not sure about UAE but in the States you can get a 14 with 50,000 miles for $35,000.

Start with black book to get an idea where you should be at - for US prices

http://www.blackbookportals.com/bb/p...=thinkbank.COM
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 04:53 PM   #6
turboawd
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs11 View Post
IMO opinion price is way too high - not sure about UAE but in the States you can get a 14 with 50,000 miles for $35,000.

Start with black book to get an idea where you should be at - for US prices

http://www.blackbookportals.com/bb/p...=thinkbank.COM
you cant compare US prices to the rest of the world. car prices vary sometimes a lot depending on the country. and US tends to be the cheapest.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 05:41 PM   #7
yewlock
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
you cant compare US prices to the rest of the world. car prices vary sometimes a lot depending on the country. and US tends to be the cheapest.
That is true. Some member in S.E Asia quote X5M for US$350K. Oh, my lord.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 01:47 AM   #8
The Expendble
Rep

Right, the price i posted is the cheapest here, so cant argue on that. I was expecting someone to tell the price is a steal, but then i realised US is cheaper.

Everyone here around me is discouraging not to even think about buying it, due to the high mileage and the maintenance cost involved when i run into any faults. Also the fact that i will run the car for another 120k miles in next 4 years, and no one will buy then due to the extreme use.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 10:39 AM   #9
ptm1nh
Private First Class
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Blue Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expendble View Post
I was expecting someone to tell the price is a steal
Then let me tell you it is a steal. My cousin in South East Asia is in the market for one to replace his GX470 and the cheapest one he could get is around $80k from a private seller.

Here's an example, a '14 30d with 111k km / 69k miles, no LED, 19" wheels are listed for 2,08 billion VND ~ 91k USD. OTD price is around $95k.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 01:04 PM   #10
ramforinkas
Rep
Drives: '15 x5 35i

The price isn't horrible although a bit high for US standards. However, that's a lot of mileage, especially if you plan on putting another 120k on it. I didn't even want to purchase mine which had 29k miles on it, which I've had for 4 months now and absolutely love it.

Maybe hold out for a bit and look for one with less miles? Honestly, IMO it would be worth paying an extra 5-10k if you can swing it for one with half the miles, and i'm sure you'll save yourself in the long run.

For comparison, I paid 36k for my '15 x35i with 29k miles, though I had to travel 300 miles to pick it up - and it was quite the shady place.
Appreciate 0