BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-29-2016, 08:21 AM   #1
bimmermann881
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I'm in the market in getting a X5 50I and the heads up display and I was wondering if I can just get the heads up display without spending the $3200 for the executive package?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 08:55 AM   #2
HZX540e
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

I don't have HUD, and I drove a demo for a day with HUD. If you wear polarized sunglasses HUD is useless and I assume it's the case if you were Rx polarized glasses too. It's a nice feature, but if I had the choice I'd upgrade the rims. IMO that's the only thing worth spending money on beyond convenience, driver assist and cold weather packages. Maybe driver assist plus on a leased car because when I had those features on my MB it spent quite a bit of time at the dealer and they weren't able to fix it after many sw updates and replacing the entire steering column. I wouldn't even get the LED, the xenon with some sw mods is very capable.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 09:01 AM   #3
bimmermann881
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HZX540e View Post
I don't have HUD, and I drove a demo for a day with HUD. If you wear polarized sunglasses HUD is useless and I assume it's the case if you were Rx polarized glasses too. It's a nice feature, but if I had the choice I'd upgrade the rims. IMO that's the only thing worth spending money on beyond convenience, driver assist and cold weather packages. Maybe driver assist plus on a leased car because when I had those features on my MB it spent quite a bit of time at the dealer and they weren't able to fix it after many sw updates and replacing the entire steering column. I wouldn't even get the LED, the xenon with some sw mods is very capable.
I have an X3 35i right now that has hud and I absolutely love it but I don't know if I can justify spending $3200 just to get that!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 09:14 AM   #4
HZX540e
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermann881 View Post
Quote:
I have an X3 35i right now that has hud and I absolutely love it but I don't know if I can justify spending $3200 just to get that!
I'm old school I guess, I found it a bit distracting.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 09:43 AM   #5
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i M-Sport

It's one of my favorite features of the car. You don't have to take your eyes off the road when under route guidance, which is especially helpful in a bustling, major metropolitan area. It also allows you to make or take a hands-free call and control your music!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 09:49 AM   #6
bimmermann881
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadmatic View Post
It's one of my favorite features of the car. You don't have to take your eyes off the road when under route guidance, which is especially helpful in a bustling, major metropolitan area. It also allows you to make or take a hands-free call and control your music!
Definitely one of the best features... plus it has reduced my tickets as well since my first BMW that didn't have it!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 11:06 AM   #7
rntaylor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 550i MSp, 15 F15 50 MSp

Quote:
I'm in the market in getting a X5 50I and the cold weather package and the heads up display and I was wondering if I can just get the heads up display without spending the $3200 for the executive package?
The cold weather package is a steal for $550!!! My daughters (8 and 6 years old) love the headed rear seats. They turn it on as soon as they get in the vehicle. I love the heated steering wheel. I turn it on as soon as I get in along with the heated front seats; which by the way work really good!

But you make a very good point about the Executive Package $3200...ouch! Personally, the HUD is probably my most used option on the X5. Being able to see the speed limit, the navigation route, and to be able to find and change songs all while not looking away from the road is really nice. But the rest of the options in the package...idk. Soft close doors...Besides my wife, kids and myself, nobody knows about them. We drop the girls off at school in the morning and when the volunteer parents that open and close the door, close the door it seems like they are in a competition to see who can break the window in the door! haha! The manual side shades (useless) are always down, we have tinted windows. The ceramic controls do look and feel nice. We have a 2015 so don't have the wireless stuff.

With all that being said with the HUD being the only real usable option in the Executive package to me, and the way BMW has it set up you must purchase the package to get the HUD. Would I get it...YES, but that's just me.

Anyways, that's just my 2 cents on the topic. Good luck with whatever decision you decide to go with.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 11:14 AM   #8
bimmermann881
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rntaylor View Post
Quote:
I'm in the market in getting a X5 50I and the cold weather package and the heads up display and I was wondering if I can just get the heads up display without spending the $3200 for the executive package?
The cold weather package is a steal for $550!!! My daughters (8 and 6 years old) love the headed rear seats. They turn it on as soon as they get in the vehicle. I love the heated steering wheel. I turn it on as soon as I get in along with the heated front seats; which by the way work really good!

But you make a very good point about the Executive Package $3200...ouch! Personally, the HUD is probably my most used option on the X5. Being able to see the speed limit, the navigation route, and to be able to find and change songs all while not looking away from the road is really nice. But the rest of the options in the package...idk. Soft close doors...Besides my wife, kids and myself, nobody knows about them. We drop the girls off at school in the morning and when the volunteer parents that open and close the door, close the door it seems like they are in a competition to see who can break the window in the door! haha! The manual side shades (useless) are always down, we have tinted windows. The ceramic controls do look and feel nice. We have a 2015 so don't have the wireless stuff.

With all that being said with the HUD being the only real usable option in the Executive package to me, and the way BMW has it set up you must purchase the package to get the HUD. Would I get it...YES, but that's just me.

Anyways, that's just my 2 cents on the topic. Good luck with whatever decision you decide to go with.
Yeah even durning the summer months I use my heated wheel it's the best! On a side note most people who don't live in the snowy states don't understand how useful the headlights washer are during a slush and snowy highway lol! But yeah the other things in the executive package I would never use! Plus down the road if I ever wanted to add shades on top of my tinted windows I could buy them separately for like 450$! I think I'll just bite the bullet and get the package!
Appreciate 1
rntaylor137.00
      12-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #9
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
I was the same... I had a loaner with HUD and while it was cool, I thought it was gimmicky and useless... Now that I have it and have used it for over a year, I can't get another car without it.

To the OP, The Executive Package for the 50i includes the following

•Soft-close automatic doors
•Head-up Display
•Wireless Charging including WiFi Hotspot
•Wireless Charging and WiFi Hotspot
•Rear manual side window shades
•Ceramic Controls

Not sure if the other features are important or not to you though.
      12-29-2016, 11:29 AM   #10
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Xline with MPPK

I agree with the above posts. It is it a nice feature? Yes, its very nice and convenient. Is it worth the price they are asking? They never are. Having said that, the cost of an OEM HUD retrofit after you buy the car is not going to be cheap. There are cheaper aftermarket HUD units that sits on top of your dashboard but it only offers very limited features compared to the BMW HUD unit.

Convenience is the keyword here. Remember when they first came out with "power windows, door locks, side mirrors, etc." Folks were saying who needs that? Besides manual transmission, do car manufacturers even offer cars with manual features anymore? Cars are driving by itself now with the current technology? What's next? "Bimmer me up Scottie?" Lol
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #11
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
I find it difficult to live without it now. Changing songs, GPS directions and speedometer. Really useful and convenient. Not to mention that it becomes a safety feature since you don't need to take your eyes off to look at the cluster or at the idrive screen.

Cold weather package is a MUST in the colder months. You will regret not having the heated steering wheel or the heated rear seats.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 02:39 PM   #12
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 Comp BGM / Sahkir

Garage List
Luxury SAV - just go for it. In the long haul all of the other features in the exec package combined are worth it! I have the 5.0 with it and I must say this is one of those packages that separates this vehicle from ordinary down market vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 03:17 PM   #13
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Only way to get HUD is part of package. I would never go back to vehicle without HUD. If you wear polarized glasses, then you just adjust the rotation and can see. Personally, I never use cold weather package features, but you may live in area where you can get use out of it.

There is less reason to look at individual prices for options unless you plan on ordering vehicle. Most of the time people are dealing with dealer stock and there are both discounts and deals which reduce prices.
Appreciate 1
HZX540e373.50
      12-29-2016, 06:24 PM   #14
NOVA99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M-B GLS 580

- You can not get HUD without ordering Executive Package.
- I ordered with Exec Pkg just because it had the HUD system otherwise I would have left that box empty. Soft close doors, wi-fi, shades...who gives a shit as they are no value to me. The ceramic controls are nice but not a must have. However the HUD was.
- Have HUD now and in past vehicles and wife said new ride must have HUD. My trucks do not so I miss it when I am driving them vs. vehicles with HUD.
My 2 Cents.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 06:38 PM   #15
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Many excellent posts here.
For me HUD is essential like many other niceties once you have them.
OP, I do see your point Exec pkg $3200, if you only want HUD. If that is what the US proposition is then initial response would be no, then reflecting without it, I would be miserable, as the key display is the Speed Limit Monitor. Anyhow if you lease or trade in within 4 years, you would likely get half back. Unsure of your country specifics, may not be US.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 12:00 PM   #16
ixlr8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

I have a '16 X5 35i, I have the HUD and didn't order the Executive Package. I thought the HUD was a gimmick until I drove a car without it and I missed it. Is this ordering limitation due to it being a '17 or being a 50i?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 01:26 PM   #17
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

50i
      12-30-2016, 01:52 PM   #18
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

HUD is a no-brainer. Absolutely love it.

Love how the little red car shows up when people start driving a bit silly. By the way, the X5 got me out of a pinch the other day. Car in front of me made a sudden sharp right turn and the X5 slammed on the brakes for me. Caught me by surprise, but a great feature!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 01:58 PM   #19
HZX540e
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
HUD is a no-brainer. Absolutely love it.

Love how the little red car shows up when people start driving a bit silly. By the way, the X5 got me out of a pinch the other day. Car in front of me made a sudden sharp right turn and the X5 slammed on the brakes for me. Caught me by surprise, but a great feature!
That's not HUD that's ACC
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 02:16 PM   #20
rntaylor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixlr8 View Post
I have a '16 X5 35i, I have the HUD and didn't order the Executive Package. I thought the HUD was a gimmick until I drove a car without it and I missed it. Is this ordering limitation due to it being a '17 or being a 50i?
You got the Driver Assistance Package?

50i
Executive Package $3,250
• Soft-close automatic doors
Head-up Display
• Wireless Charging including WiFi Hotspot
• Wireless Charging and WiFi Hotspot
• Rear manual side window shades
• Ceramic Controls

35i
Driver Assistance Package $1,400
• Rear view camera
Head-up Display
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 02:20 PM   #21
rntaylor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
True that's ACC, but the red car is displays within the HUD. If you don't have the HUD it shows up in the dashboard.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 03:29 PM   #22
HZX540e
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rntaylor View Post
Quote:
True that's ACC, but the red car is displays within the HUD. If you don't have the HUD it shows up in the dashboard.
Love you man so just picking on you.

That red car in the HUD is real if you look above the HUD reflection on the windshield
Appreciate 0