BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
x5pilot
Fragile Explosion
Rep
Drives: X5 40d Msport

UK Test Drive today - UK 30dM

I was invited by my local dealer today to take the new X5 out for a test prior to public release on the 16th Nov.

Car was a black with Mocha leather 3.0dM.

Both myself and my wife had about a hour to test the car and overall was a very enjoyable test.

Some of the (pleasant) observations and facts that I wasn't aware of are as follows, (obviously in my opinion) hope it help others:

1. Comfort suspension is much improved (over current 3.0dM) plus Sport suspension very good on tight turns and corners (standard spec)
2. The car comes as standard with voice recognition, ie, speak destination into sat nav etc. I questioned if the dealer was sure this was standard and was told it was.
3. Also, apparently you can if you insert a DVD in the slot loader, playback appears via the main console screen. Pretty cool feature as standard (via Professional audio option) Again I was assured this was standard when questioned - maybe someone could confirm this?
4. The new electric steering is incredible compared to the old X5.
5. Tailgate can be opened via keyfob but cannot be lowered using fob - need to press button on tailgate - I mention this as a previous thread questioned it.

My main disappointment is with the lack of color options available... lots of white and black combos with a various browns but no metallic blue or beige/black upholstery options (as standard)
Plan to trade current X5 and order end of Dec for a March delivery - maybe even pickup from factory in Germany.
Would be very interested in any other UK X5 buyers that want to discuss purchase prices/rates etc - PM fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Thanks for the write-up. I have an M-Sport test drive booked this Saturday.

I assume it was an M-Sport you test drove? Can you recall what size wheels it had? My main concern with the sport is the ride quality. Whatcar didn't rate it on the M-Sport even when switched to Comfort mode - it was still too firm. Did you get chance to go over any speed bumps, UK pot-holes?

For terms of reference, re ride quality, I have a F11 SE on 18" wheels, no VDC, and find the ride acceptable on RFT's. On normal tyres the ride is good. I had an F11 Msport, no VDC, as a loaner, and the ride quality was shocking.

Did you discuss discounts? Best I have seen to date is 9%...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
x5pilot
Fragile Explosion
Rep

Hi eaglesrest,

Was defiantly the 30d M Sport - had the 467M style RF wheels.
Im looking at getting the 40dM which is why I needed to try the M sport.
Both myself and my wife agree that the "Comfort" Ride was noticeably better than our current model.
For comparison I currently drive a 30dMsport which I think we all agree is a hard ride under normal driving conditions.

Between myself and the dealer there was very little talk of discounts other than the comment there "maybe" better rates available in early January - I want to hold off for the new plate in March plus my current X5 contract doesn't expire until end of March.
Previously he had commented that there'd be very little movement on the base price due to the car being a new release - but I'd like to think I'm wise to that old line!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5pilot View Post
I was invited by my local dealer today to take the new X5 out for a test prior to public release on the 16th Nov.

Car was a black with Mocha leather 3.0dM.

Both myself and my wife had about a hour to test the car and overall was a very enjoyable test.

Some of the (pleasant) observations and facts that I wasn't aware of are as follows, (obviously in my opinion) hope it help others:

1. Comfort suspension is much improved (over current 3.0dM) plus Sport suspension very good on tight turns and corners (standard spec)
2. The car comes as standard with voice recognition, ie, speak destination into sat nav etc. I questioned if the dealer was sure this was standard and was told it was.
3. Also, apparently you can if you insert a DVD in the slot loader, playback appears via the main console screen. Pretty cool feature as standard (via Professional audio option) Again I was assured this was standard when questioned - maybe someone could confirm this?
4. The new electric steering is incredible compared to the old X5.
5. Tailgate can be opened via keyfob but cannot be lowered using fob - need to press button on tailgate - I mention this as a previous thread questioned it.

My main disappointment is with the lack of color options available... lots of white and black combos with a various browns but no metallic blue or beige/black upholstery options (as standard)
Plan to trade current X5 and order end of Dec for a March delivery - maybe even pickup from factory in Germany.
Would be very interested in any other UK X5 buyers that want to discuss purchase prices/rates etc - PM fine.
Hi.

I'm testing the 3d M this Saturday so thanks for your observations.

Similar to you my contract ends end April 2014 so won't be ordering until February or March next year.

My dealer is as keen as mustard to continue to get my business as we live between 2 dealers

Would be VERY interested in swapping market intel on pricing.
I'm currently on the 50/50 0% deal which is nice!

I'm after the 3d SE. But seems dealers prefer the M for test drives.

All the best.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
domessex
Rep
Drives: 1m coupe

Picking up my 30d msport on 20inch wheels on sat 23rd November so I'll advise on ride comfort as I've got quite a long drive home from dealer. Just sold our e70 x5 4.8se on 20inch wheels so will be interesting to compare difference in ride quality.

I think I've had conversations with all of you about the discount I received but happy to advise again via pm.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
sward
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: i7 xDrive60

Garage List
2023 BMW i7  [0.00]
I live in sweden and want to order an m50d. I want it in April but since it is built in the us there is at least 14 weeks from order to delivery. If you guys want it it February or March I think you really need to place those orders now.
i7 xDrive60 -23 Sold: iX -22, X5MC -20 (F95), X5M50d -19 (G05), X5M50d -17 (F15), X5M50d -14 (F15), 116d -13 (F20), X5 3.0D -10 (E70), M3 -10 (E93), 320DX -10 (E91), 320D -08 (E91), X3 30D -07 (E83), 335 -07 (E92), 325 -05 (E90), 320 -02 (E46), 318 -00 (E46), 320 -93 (E36), 318 -89 (E30)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by domessex View Post
Picking up my 30d msport on 20inch wheels on sat 23rd November so I'll advise on ride comfort as I've got quite a long drive home from dealer. Just sold our e70 x5 4.8se on 20inch wheels so will be interesting to compare difference in ride quality.

I think I've had conversations with all of you about the discount I received but happy to advise again via pm.
Cheers Dom. I'm going into 'battle' this Saturday, so will have your offer in my back-pocket

If the ride and refinement are as poor as Whatcar make out, I'll be cross-shopping for a RRS anyway, if/when discounts on those are available. Could be a while.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 05:38 AM   #8
x5pilot
Fragile Explosion
Rep

Baunton,
Yes, happy to swap intel on dealer discounts/strategies!
Perhaps via PM?
Dom, thanks also to you for your helpful suggestion. Will be making contact with dealer you mentioned as we get closer to Jan.
Also Dom, did you struggle to sell your 4.8? Just wondering what the demand is for such a big engine? I've considered settling the outstanding value direct with BMW and selling privately but the convenience of just handing back is very appealing.
very interested in thoughts from anyone on this especially UK based?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #9
gorun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: W166 ML63 PP

I am struggling to shift my 4.8 here in Bulgaria. Demand for such engines is dead.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
domessex
Rep
Drives: 1m coupe

Hi guys,

To be honest it did take a while to shift my wife's 4.8 x5. I had it on autotrader online for 6 weeks. Had it up for £14,000 (70,000 miles). The car had absolutely every extra except 3rd row seats and pano roof. Was in good condition as well. I had to keep reducing the price to the point where it was the cheapest one for sale on autotrader and much better equipped. Last week all of a sudden had 3 calls from private buyers (only had a few traders sniffing around prior to this). Managed to sell it to the first person who viewed the car on saturday for the full £14,000 (plus it had 7 months tax left on the vehicle, circa £300).

In my view he has got an awful lot of car for £14,000 as the list price was around £65,000!

I was happy as the part ex was only going to be £12,000. My dealer was relaxed about including it in the deal to the point where if I couldn't sell it privately he would have taken as part ex. I just had to let him know by Monday next week what was happening so its work out well for me.

I think now that winter is settling in if you price the car sensibly you will get interest from private buyers.

Regarding journalist reviews on the ride quality of the x5 I'd suggest people buy Decembers edition of whatcar. They do a full road test comparison against the RRS, ML and Cayenne. They just give it to the RRS with the X5 a very close 2nd. However if you add up all the stars for the different categories the X5 actually scores more than the RRS so in my mind that makes it the winner
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
gorun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: W166 ML63 PP

Drove the RRS in SDV6 hse dynamic trim. It was too sluggish and the low res screen and slow touch interface were all deal breakers for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #12
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

It was these WC comments that gave me pause for thought
'Opt for the adaptive comfort suspension (one of several available set-ups), and you'll enjoy a relatively supple ride, whereas adaptive M Sport cars have a choppy ride, even in Comfort mode.'
And
'Refinement: This is the one area where the BMW X5 fails to impress. Its door mirrors generate quite a bit of wind disturbance, and road noise is an ever-present companion on motorways and fast A-roads. To make matters worse, the diesel engines transmit too much vibration into the cabin - particularly when you accelerate hard'

All will be revealed on Saturday. They have an SE as backup in case the msport is too firm/unsettled. Not sure if it has adaptive comfort suspension though.

I've had a disco 3 and disco 4 hse. The tech is poor and reliability was questionable, but the cars are a great place to be!

Last edited by archivedaccount; 11-14-2013 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #13
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Nice Car!

Test drove the 3d M Sport today.

Very impressed with the overall look and feel of the car.

It was fitted with 20" tyres which I thought would be uncomfortable but not at all.

The ride even in sport mode was I think better than my SE.
SO much so that I don't think I am going to bother with the Comfort Suspension if I have to order the SE over the M next year.

Also impressed with how quiet it was, even on motorways very little wind noise compared with current model.

Bit unnerving the way in which the engine 'dies' at the light when you stop but I guess it's something you get used to.

Have to say IMO fit and finish is not a lot better than my current car. Good but it's what I would expect for something costing >£50k

Like the ambient lighting though.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Test drove the 3d M Sport today.

Very impressed with the overall look and feel of the car.

It was fitted with 20" tyres which I thought would be uncomfortable but not at all.

The ride even in sport mode was I think better than my SE.
SO much so that I don't think I am going to bother with the Comfort Suspension if I have to order the SE over the M next year.

Also impressed with how quiet it was, even on motorways very little wind noise compared with current model.

Bit unnerving the way in which the engine 'dies' at the light when you stop but I guess it's something you get used to.

Have to say IMO fit and finish is not a lot better than my current car. Good but it's what I would expect for something costing >£50k

Like the ambient lighting though.
Glad you liked it, and yes the stop/start engine is unusual. Apparently you do get used to it.

Good to hear the drive was settled. I test drove the SE with no adaptive suspension on 20" wheels, and was impressed overall. I hunted out some potholes and the impact made its way into the cabin. In fact it was that harsh some of the trim in the rear clattered along with the suspension. These were big potholes mind that most would normally drive around, and generally the drive was very good. I can only assume that the MSport with DDC and air suspension will be even better, especially on 19" wheels. I'm test driving that model on Tuesday, just to confirm.....

Another surprise was the amount of space both daughter 1 + 2 had in the 3rd row. Easy access and plenty of knee room, they loved it.

Only disadvantage with the MSport is the lack of running boards. That said, once the door is open there is a metal lip that the girls had no problem using to get in and out of.

I was so impressed I've only gone and placed an order on the MSport 3.0d. Due for delivery Jan/Feb. Got a very good deal locally, PM me if you want the details:

3.0d MSport, Carbon Black, Ivory White/Black world
Comfot Seats
Active Security Package
Driving Assistant Plus with Traffic Jam Assistant - apparently have to hold the order back until December to guarantee TJA
Cold Weather Pack
ConnectedDrive
Harmon Kardon
Pano Glass sunroof
Sun protection glass
Third Row Seating
Adaptive Headlights with HBA
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #15
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

UK auto start stop.
You should be able to get a software application to default it to last user position.
Alternatively, deactivate it every time you start the car. I did the software app.
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...uto+start+stop
Appreciate 0