BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-03-2022, 10:32 AM   #1
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Easiest way without all the mess! Sorry for the writing, just cutting all the fat and straight to the point!

*get a low, long, plastic container from Walmart to catch the coolant as it drains.

-Remove underbody protection..

-Remove transverse reinforcement (T: 10Nm + 90°)..

-Remove Fan (search).. *and don't forget to disconnect the coolant line held at the bottom of the fan and the connector for it!..

-Look below the thermostat housing and you will see an intersection of coolant connectors..

-Place a clear bag and route it down so the flow of coolant goes straight into the container. Don't try to use a hose as you might start messing with your 1) radiator 2) make a mess 3) make things more complicated than they need to be..

-Remove the cap further to the left on the bottom. If you can reach the clip, carefully twist the cap until you can see the clip..

-Control the flow of coolant with the expansion tank cap (more loose: more flow / less loose: less flow)

Once done, get some water and slowly poor it on the body bottom to clean any minimal splashing (I have dogs so I do not mess around with coolant)

*see pictures
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Clifton221.50
      11-03-2022, 11:23 AM   #2
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Thanks for sharing this - I've been wondering about this and I'm still bent that BMW took away the simple drain plugs at the bottom of radiators.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 11:25 AM   #3
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
Thanks for sharing this - I've been wondering about this and I'm still bent that BMW took away the simple drain plugs at the bottom of radiators.
Yeah… I was thinking that there has to be a turn plug… but nope 😑
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 12:02 PM   #4
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep

Are you planning to run a water flush through as well or just refill and call it a day? Vacuum kit to refill?

Also, you may already have this but I thought this was pretty handy "built in" feature of the X5 Bleed Procedure

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 10:30 PM   #5
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'm only refilling it. I had the system service last year by BMW before I took over all my own services.

I drained my system because my rear EGR Cooler was giving me a CEL. When I removed it, the issue was that the metal level that's controlled by the vacuum capsule is broken. The welding up top came undone, so the inside was not opening and closing. I have to find someone to weld that top piece back on.

I have an extra complete EGR system so I threw that one on. I use ISTA. I also have one of the pressurized Venturi fillers I got from Amazon. I've used it on several vehicles and works like a champ.

Very easy to use and you can check to see if your system has a vacuum leak at the same time before filling it. Worth the money!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 12:13 PM   #6
BMW335is
Rep
Drives: 335is

thank you very much for sharing this maintenance guide. The idea of using plastic bag is so brilliant. I did not have to remove the fan as I could reach the connector cap from underneath the car. Hope this tip will help the community DIYers to save some time. Coolant bleed procedure for N47 and N57 is also different than other chassis.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 06:16 AM   #7
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335is View Post
Coolant bleed procedure for N47 and N57 is also different than other chassis.
Good tip going from underneath to avoid removing the fan. Wondered if it was possible to go that route.

Do you mind sharing the bleed procedure that you followed that you mentioned is different in the Diesels?
Appreciate 0