BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-12-2021, 01:23 PM   #1
stalkem
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 35D

2015 35d getting P0087

Wondering if anyone else has had an issue with this? My X5 has about 57K miles, ABC Tune with DUDMD Stage 2.

I got the Drivetrain Malfunction, and lost all power, coasted to the side of the road, shut everything down, restarted. No more malfunction showing, everything seemed to work fine. Had a the P0087 code stored. It was suggested to have the fuel filter changed, so had that done.

A few weeks later, driving on I-90 outside of Boston area, I accelerated hard to get around some cars to get into an exit lane. Drivetrain Malfunction occurred again, but did not lose power this time, but did have reduced power. Again, showed P0087.

Took car to get diagnostics done on the fuel system. All readings came out normal. Stopped my BMW Dealer to get a print out of what warranties were extended (such as the HPFP). Had a friend that works at one of the associated brands' service centers. We take it for a spin, I tell him to get on it, and again the Drive Train malfunction comes up. Once again, showing P0087. We take it back to the Dealer, and he calls the BMW Service Foreman, who tells me to leave it because it definitely needs the HPFP. They do diagnostics on the fuel system too, and everything reads normal. Ended up having the HPFP replaced under warranty after some back and forth on TSARA vision.

Got the car back, everything is working fine for a while. Accelerate hard while getting back on the highway, and get the drivetrain malfunction again.

I don't believe the quantity control valve or the pressure relief valve on the rail were replaced. Anyone have a similar experience or have any suggestion on what part to troubleshoot next?

At least the HPFP is new, so I don't have to worry about that blowing up for a while, right? Appreciate any insight.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 08:11 PM   #2
atwal187
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw 335d e90 2009

Did you try contacting DUDMD and explaining this, maybe he can provide more insight or has experience with this.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 11:09 AM   #3
stalkem
Rep

I did. He hasn't had any cars with the tune experience the issue. Was trying to see if the internet minds had ever come across a similar issue and hopefully had a solution.

It's really strange, that it's been diagnosed twice, and neither reported issues. I drive along normal, highway & city driving, and no issues, but when I get on it to have a little fun, it happens under that high load. I guess I'll stick to cruise control for a while
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 03:58 AM   #4
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Are you using the same gas station for each tank? Maybe the fuel there is bad and its causing issues with your fuel system.

Are you using any fuel additives?

It may be a long shot, but how are your tires? Could it be diameter difference is getting close to tolerances and its causing a cut in power, but the tune is seeing it as a drop in fuel pressure?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 12:30 PM   #5
stalkem
Rep

Yes, generally the same station. I also use it for another diesel car (that's much older and has no electronics to monitor anything), but no issues with that one.

No fuel additives in the X5.

Tires still have some life left. I swap them out in the winter for a different set of wheels and rims, so they don't get abused. I rotate them every time I put them back on. I wouldn't suspect that.

I just switched to a different station to get fuel. We'll see if that changes anything. I've recent begun commuting much farther for work, and there's been no issues as you cruise along. It just seems to be whenever you push that pedal to the floor.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 03:27 PM   #6
CHECKERED
ex deus machina
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30, F15, Audi S4

with a stage 2 tune means you have DPF/ad-blue/EGR removed?
Gone: E92 335i N54 468rwtq
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 07:55 AM   #7
stalkem
Rep

Well, I took advice here and switched fuel stations and have been consistently using that same place as much as possible, and I haven't had any issues since. So I guess it's chalked up to bad fuel at the prior station.

At least I did get a new HPFP under warranty out of it... although there's been a recall on that issues since all this happened!
Appreciate 1
///d1820.00
      06-16-2022, 10:58 AM   #8
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkem View Post
Well, I took advice here and switched fuel stations and have been consistently using that same place as much as possible, and I haven't had any issues since. So I guess it's chalked up to bad fuel at the prior station.

At least I did get a new HPFP under warranty out of it... although there's been a recall on that issues since all this happened!
some stations don't use diesel enough to keep a fresh supply in the tank, and some companies just have shitty fuel all together. I've stopped using BP diesel as it turns the rear of my X5 black, and it was either Caseys or Kum N Go that I've always had hesitation issues when out west. I try to stick with Cenex when I can, Sin Clair is 2cnd, Conoco 3rd.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0