BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

09-18-2018, 08:46 PM   #1
RGlenn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4M

2015 BMW X5 35D... Preowned Purchase Price Question

Hi All,

Checking out a 2015 BMW X5 35D around my area. Has about 80k on it and some good options. I can grab this for $25k out the door. My concern with the price was the (2) accidents mentioned on carfax. Both are front fender driver side. One was a tap in a parking lot. Not sure on the other, but no evidence of repainting. Car runs and drives great and looks great, no evidence of an accident.

Car has some good options:
- Cold Weather Package
- Driver Assistance Package
- Lighting Package
- Premium Package
- Ivory White Interior Package

In case I have the options wrong, here are the features I've noticed: Heated Steering Wheel, Adaptive Headlights, ventilated/heated Seats, memory driver/pass. seats. Adjustable side bolsters. Spare Tire. Pano sunroof. HUD. Nav. Luggage hooks in rear. Rear heated seats. No adaptive cruise. Harmon Kardon sound system. Nav. Could be missing some things these are just the items I noticed.

The dealer was looking for $25k USD, I offered $21k and got no counter back with my Saab as a trade at $1k. Am i crazy for not taking the car at $25K? They are sending it to auction soon and want to make sure I'm not offering too low. Some what familiar with BMWs but looking for some advice from owners. My brother works for BMW as a repair tech so not as concerned with maint costs although don't want an unreliable SUV. What do you guys think of the price? Just sold my Z4M roadster and my 2005 Saab 9-3 is on the fritz (as to be expected.... its a saab). Looking for a good car that can cart around some larger items and a dog at some point. Loved how it drove but would like some input from owners who have an X5.Not seeing many 2014-2015 X5s at this price so wanted some input! Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

Last edited by RGlenn; 09-18-2018 at 09:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 11:13 PM   #2
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
An get better deals. Look in CT BMW Greenwich dealership. Not the best example but can speak for itself. Plane vanilla X5 2015 - 37k miles (half of the one you mention), very few options - $35k.
Sure it is above $25k, but one owner and not accident.

Hope this helps

Edit: you should also check your insurance how will they handle it. Most car with accident in NY receive a salvage or lemon title, to my poor knowledge in the domain. Bottomline, you need to call your insurance and give the VIN. They ll tell you how they would like to proceed
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 03:53 AM   #3
Mr.47
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35d

1 minor and 1 unknown accident that concerning as any damage reported in NY is >$1000 even though the car is newer and repairs can be expansive its still a red flag, also it been 80k miles for 2015 is very high usage almost 26,000 miles/year.

IMO this deal is too risky there lots of due and overdue services that needs to be addressed, unknown damage from previous accidents and high miles/year. Find a better deal, spend a little more, look around and take your time to find a nicer lower miles X5.

FYI dealers will always pull the "sending it to auction" tactics to force buyers to buy on the spot
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 04:59 AM   #4
RGlenn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4M

Thanks for the input guys. Car has a clean NYS title, only reason I saw the accidents was from the CarFax and the dealer letting me know. The owner (1 owner car) traded it in for a new smaller Jag SUV to downsize was the story they gave me. Apparently his commute was primarily highway miles which is how it's already at 80k. Is it possible to find 2014+ X5Ds in the <$25k range? Noticed some really nice ones at $30-$35k, but trying to keep the budget closer to $25k. I know its early on to know how these cars are at higher mileage, but are they fairly reliable cars? Don't mind some repairs I'm fairly handy so I can do work myself, but not trying to buy a car with known reliability issues. Should point out my brother works for BMW so I can get parts just above dealer cost
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 06:13 AM   #5
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGlenn View Post
Thanks for the input guys. Car has a clean NYS title, only reason I saw the accidents was from the CarFax and the dealer letting me know. The owner (1 owner car) traded it in for a new smaller Jag SUV to downsize was the story they gave me. Apparently his commute was primarily highway miles which is how it's already at 80k. Is it possible to find 2014+ X5Ds in the <$25k range? Noticed some really nice ones at $30-$35k, but trying to keep the budget closer to $25k. I know its early on to know how these cars are at higher mileage, but are they fairly reliable cars? Don't mind some repairs I'm fairly handy so I can do work myself, but not trying to buy a car with known reliability issues. Should point out my brother works for BMW so I can get parts just above dealer cost
I know you are asking about the price but...

Either do ppi at bmw Indy or dealership, or check it out yourself. First thing you should do is to scan for codes (bmw shadow codes). You will need a reader that can do that ex Carly or something like it. From my research, diesels are prone to some carbon build up. Not too bad, but yours might be due for cleaning soon. CBU can cause a domino effect of issues. Other thing is, these cars seem to be somewhat sensitive to fuel and if the fuel filter was not replaced regularly, your injectors might be clogged (they are about 150 each).

If you want to do more research on the engine (n57), check out 5 (f10) series and 3 (e90) series forum. N47 is variation of this engine and some pain points are similar.

You don’t want to get it and then end up spending ~$5K+ on repairs. At that point you would’ve been better getting a more expensive well sorted out model that might be still under the warranty.

With that said, IMO $25k is decent price. If you will be keeping the car for a long duration, then those accidents don’t matter. By the time you get rid of the vehicle, the value is going to be so depreciated that those accidents might change the price by 2-300. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 06:40 AM   #6
Mr.47
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGlenn View Post
As long its maintained it should be solid, however the 35i's are the most reliable of the X5's

I have a 2014 35d myself right now its sitting at 73k miles, and just when through all full services at 60k miles and then some, i replaced all the fluids ie coolant change, transmission fluid and filter/pan change, front/rear diff drain and fill, new brake and rotor, T/C fluid changed, flushed the brakes.

However im now finding some suspension components are having some issues, I've already replaced the rear air suspension (3rd row option) as it was leaking, and i believe the front tension arm bushing is cracking and knock when braking hard (which ill probally replaced at 75k miles).

This was my situation and i believe i've spent around $1100 in parts/fluids (i do all my labor) within 2017-2018 and i expect to spend another $1000 to address the worned suspension parts and another $1500 on tires (X5 eats tires like donuts) in 2019.

If you can handle spending $1k-$3K in parts for initial ownership service, and don't mind driving that x5 with a accident history and have the financial means to up keep this vehicle then go for it, but just be prepared when it comes to high use high mileage BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 08:14 AM   #7
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.47 View Post
As long its maintained it should be solid, however the 35i's are the most reliable of the X5's

I have a 2014 35d myself right now its sitting at 73k miles, and just when through all full services at 60k miles and then some, i replaced all the fluids ie coolant change, transmission fluid and filter/pan change, front/rear diff drain and fill, new brake and rotor, T/C fluid changed, flushed the brakes.

However im now finding some suspension components are having some issues, I've already replaced the rear air suspension (3rd row option) as it was leaking, and i believe the front tension arm bushing is cracking and knock when braking hard (which ill probally replaced at 75k miles).

This was my situation and i believe i've spent around $1100 in parts/fluids (i do all my labor) within 2017-2018 and i expect to spend another $1000 to address the worned suspension parts and another $1500 on tires (X5 eats tires like donuts) in 2019.

If you can handle spending $1k-$3K in parts for initial ownership service, and don't mind driving that x5 with a accident history and have the financial means to up keep this vehicle then go for it, but just be prepared when it comes to high use high mileage BMW's.
Is there any point in upgrading suspension parts for M versions? Are they the same? Common thing on non-M e9x is to swap out control arms for M version.
Appreciate 0