BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-18-2023, 08:16 AM   #1
Wardman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5d

2015 35d particulate filter??

Hello All -

Suffering through the EGR experience and the CEL came back on after about a month of worry free driving. I was just told the particulate filter needs to be regenerated and if that doesn't work, replaced. 2015 x5d with 80,000 miles on it. I want to keep the vehicle....

Is this why people code out the EGR and apraently the DPF too?

I've removed the RC as it appears it was kicking off the CEL originally.

Any comments/thoughts/advice?

Thx!

Last edited by Wardman; 04-18-2023 at 08:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 09:29 AM   #2
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

You mentioned that you had an EGR experience without provide detail as to what that was. Guessing here that you had a faulty one and it was corrected, but did it damage other downstream components in the process?

You can use a tool like Foxwell or ISTA to request a regen prior to your next long drive. The issue I'd focus on is what caused the particulate filter to clog up so early. Replacing it without finding what caused it to clog means it will only clog up again.

I seem to recall reading that a stuck or clogged EGR valve can quickly cause a particulate filter to get choked up and the regen won't be able to keep up.

Definitely look up stream to see what might be creating your issue.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 09:49 AM   #3
Wardman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
You mentioned that you had an EGR experience without provide detail as to what that was. Guessing here that you had a faulty one and it was corrected, but did it damage other downstream components in the process?

You can use a tool like Foxwell or ISTA to request a regen prior to your next long drive. The issue I'd focus on is what caused the particulate filter to clog up so early. Replacing it without finding what caused it to clog means it will only clog up again.

I seem to recall reading that a stuck or clogged EGR valve can quickly cause a particulate filter to get choked up and the regen won't be able to keep up.

Definitely look up stream to see what might be creating your issue.
Yes, I have a different thread on the EGR replacement and manifold replacement that was recently performed. I've asked about the glow plugs and thermostat which they have produced reports saying they are good..

They are going to do the forced re-gen for me, and I have also called a DPF cleaning service to try if needed.

Agree - the amount of soot I have pictures of is amazing and IMO Fort Washington BMW who avoided doing the EGR should be held responsible. Just no time or money to go after them....
Appreciate 0