Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizikeTSK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
Added a quart last night like I mentioned to be able to drive around, and the light went off. Add 2 quarts of oil came on again this morning. Wtf

Anyone have similar issue?
I could be wrong but I believe you have to put the full 2 qts and run the oil level check for the reminder to go away. I used to carry a qt of oil for when this happens but it wasn't until that I put 2 qts in that it would clear. It's as if it doesn't just like you to add 1 qt to get buy.
I didn't need to run oil check. Added 1 qt and message went away. The next day add 2 qts came back on. Added 2 qts and message hasn't popped back up. It's been about a week and a half now.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 08:43 AM   #24
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
As 1norseman mentioned, check your CCV tubes. A cracked one will lead to higher oil consumption as higher crankcase pressure will lead to oil leaking through both valve stem seals and turbo seals. Luckily the CCV system is much easier to work on in the n63tu then first gen n63.

Recommend you switch to liqui moly 5-40 too unless you are in very cold climate. All n63/s63 engines run very hot and the super thin oil bmw recommends is for mileage purposes.

Do you have a warranty? If not get one ASAP if you don't work on cars as the 50i and M are the type of trucks you must either have an amazing warranty or like working on your own stuff. Your truck has 4 water pumps, 3 fuel pumps, 8 heat exchangers, 20+ sensors, and more wires and tubes under the hood to circle the earth TWICE.....ok maybe exaggerated that last one a little, only circles once =)

BTW, EVERY SINGLE problem with the 50i can be traced to one culprit: Heat. BMW's thermal management is horrible, they seal the engine compartment for sound and
coefficient of drag, and run the engine at extreme temps for emissions, sacrificing all those wonderful plastic and rubber bits under the hood, like your CCV lines and valve stem seals.

Avoiding stop and go traffic and idling for long periods of time/taking the freeway when possible will greatly extend the life of all parts under the hood. That is a M race engine under the hood after all that has only been slightly detuned.
Thank you. I do work on my own cars but I haven't ever on the F15 yet. I used to work on my old E53 4.4i all the time. I was pretty active on x5world.com which turned into xoutpost years ago. I had a tranny problems stemming from the torque converter with that truck. Long gone now

I reported the oil smell and dealer looked but didn't find anything. I will check myself this weekend. Thanks for the tip on the CCV. It usually smells like burning oil after driving spirited. I'm aware of the M engine. Wanted a diesel m sport but can't find one in the price range/year/mileage combo I was looking for so settled for the 5.0i.

Yes we got a warranty on the X5. 2 years 35k miles. Through the bmw dealership. Non CPO
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 08:46 AM   #25
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikado463 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighting.Grey View Post
That's what my dealer told me as well, to me that's too much.
I say your dealer is a douche…………..

a daily driven street vehicle that burns up to qt/liter of oil every 1000 miles ?? sorry I'm not buying into the 'normal' part of that at all, 2-3000 miles maybe.
Yup. You can read about the fun we had purchasing the car from them in another thread I started about want to buy 5.0i

Issues every step of the way. Everything… lies, empty promises, forgetfulness. Took like 2.5 months to plates on the car. I won't share the dealership name bc I don't want to start any drama. Will say that it's a bmw dealership though.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 08:47 AM   #26
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoboy View Post
Regarding this:

Steam out of kidney grill

I had the same issue. Was on a 35i but might be the same issue since you said you smelled coolant. The hose going into the thermostat housing was just loose enough that when hot a tiny bit of coolant leaked out and caused the steam
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoboy View Post
Regarding this:

Steam out of kidney grill

I had the same issue. Was on a 35i but might be the same issue since you said you smelled coolant. The hose going into the thermostat housing was just loose enough that when hot a tiny bit of coolant leaked out and caused the steam

Thank you. I think I might have read your post. Good to know. I'll take a look at that. Car drives great just has some fluid smells after getting hot.

I'll try to upload a video to Imgur and post it
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 08:48 AM   #27
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktree View Post
Isn't the v8 allowed to use up to 1 quart every 1000 miles to be considered normal by bmw?
Quote:
Isn't the v8 allowed to use up to 1 quart every 1000 miles to be considered normal by bmw?

I've read that 1qt every 1-2k is normal but I think it's bs personally. My 328d doesn't burn any oil. My e53 didn't burn oil, my moms 440 doesn't burn oil, nor did her old 335.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 08:55 AM   #28
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrzr View Post
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...approval.shtml

Really hoping it applies to us in .ca
Quote:

Interesting…. I read about this class action on a web page dated 2020. I wasn't aware of an update until reading this. I even tried reaching out to Bursar lawyers to inquire.

So you get reimbursed for qts of oil and maybe 5 of us in the entire USA will qualify to get a new engine but have to pay a portion based on mileage? Was hoping for a better turn out on it. Who's going to scrounge up their $18 receipts for 2 qts of oil over past 2-5 years for reimbursement?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 06:07 PM   #29
MizikeTSK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 XDrive 50i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
I didn't need to run oil check. Added 1 qt and message went away. The next day add 2 qts came back on. Added 2 qts and message hasn't popped back up. It's been about a week and a half now.
That happened to me once before also except I only added an additional qt. I did not want to chance adding to much oil. So not I'll top off with 2 qt and run the oil measure to make sure Im good.