09-26-2016, 03:54 PM   #397
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince7870 View Post
How are you making out? Beat that thing with some heavy duty figure 8's get it clicking again sooner than later.....but I hope you don't get the clicking and you found a fix.
New rotors/calipers/pads/hub. No click for about a month. Now it's back, louder than ever. My car sounds like a bag of marbles rolling around. FAACK...

Last edited by JNoSol; 09-26-2016 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2016, 07:48 PM   #398
Billaeon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5M Comp

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanzhux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billaeon
Quote:
After 1000km of my third "fix", the clicks came back again. Very good, exactly as I expected.
What was performed within the scope of the 3 fixes? Was any one of them: replacement of wheel bearings?
Replaced whole wheel bearings at the second repair. Added carriers to both front bearings for third time.
I won't be bothered again unless BMW has the real solution.
Interesting. It seems apparent BMW does not have an actual fix for this at this time. I had pretty much the same fixes applied as you and the clicking has returned for me as well. Took ~2k miles for it to return; came back gradually (how it manifested originally); now repros constantly with turning the wheels half-clock left or right. In the parking garage at work I can hear it loud-and-proud driving around.

I can't be messed with constantly taking the car in with my work schedule, but the noise is so damned annoying that I am going to go in for another go at it. I realize the effort is likely in vain, but I want BMW to work this shit out - because there is no reason they shouldn't be able to (especially for a car at this price point).

past: '20 X3MC - Toranto Red | '17 S8 - Matte Silver | '16 X5M - LBB | '14 SQ5 - Estoril | '13 S4 - Glacier | '12 S4 - Ibis | '09 GTI - White | '01 S4 (Stg 3) - Laser | '01 A4 (1.8T) - Santorin | '97 Jetta GT - Black | '94 Integra EX - White
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 08:57 PM   #399
critical_mass
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ps

One word: Lemon. Only way we can get BMW's attention to actually figure things out and fix the damn thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 02:31 AM   #400
seanzhux
Rep
Drives: 2015 x6m LBB

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
After 1000km of my third "fix", the clicks came back again. Very good, exactly as I expected.
What was performed within the scope of the 3 fixes? Was any one of them: replacement of wheel bearings?
Replaced whole wheel bearings at the second repair. Added carriers to both front bearings for third time.
I won't be bothered again unless BMW has the real solution.
Interesting. It seems apparent BMW does not have an actual fix for this at this time. I had pretty much the same fixes applied as you and the clicking has returned for me as well. Took ~2k miles for it to return; came back gradually (how it manifested originally); now repros constantly with turning the wheels half-clock left or right. In the parking garage at work I can hear it loud-and-proud driving around.

I can't be messed with constantly taking the car in with my work schedule, but the noise is so damned annoying that I am going to go in for another go at it. I realize the effort is likely in vain, but I want BMW to work this shit out - because there is no reason they shouldn't be able to (especially for a car at this price point).
Dealer rang me this morning, BMW has know this issue and is trying solving it. He book me in on 4th Oct again and raised a PUMA case.

Oh, what ever, just relax and keep bugging BMW, the dealer is close to me anyway. Next year go for new cayenne or S7, I am done with BMW.

Btw, my wife's new Q7 is impressive.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 06:53 AM   #401
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Yea this is my last BMW as well - I am pretty certain every X5M does this, most people just dont care or notice. I already regret this lease, as I rushed into it, my fault. But after four BMWs and three Ms, I am ready to go with other options as they are aplenty. Since I got my 911, Porsche has really got my eye, and I no longer recommend BMW to friends either. I am actually hoping BMW send me some type of survey soon regarding my satisfaction with the X5M, b/c I will tear it apart. Yes, it sounds harsh, and some think its just clicking, but i refuse to accept that a car this expensive should click and squeak and it is not a problem. Yes, 1% problems, but still a problem.

Hopefully BMW does pay attention to the boards, but maybe they do and realize we are such a small portion of the BMW demographic, albeit the most influenced.
      09-27-2016, 06:57 AM   #402
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanzhux View Post

Btw, my wife's new Q7 is impressive.
I have a friend who is moving and needs to buy his first car, knowing Im a car nut he asked for some serious recommendations. Based on my experience with this X5, I said 100% no to the X3, but said definitely to the Q5. Hopefully the Q5 is as solid as the Q7.
      09-27-2016, 08:44 AM   #403
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Audi and Merc both have their own issues. I have friends who are die hard Audi guys and cars needs constant maintenance. Different from what BMW's typically needs but failures nonetheless. At least BMW is willing to service these cars trying to make the customers happy. I wouldn't be surprised some brands would just leave it at "its normal" and send you on your way....

Alan
      09-27-2016, 08:56 AM   #404
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Audi and Merc both have their own issues. I have friends who are die hard Audi guys and cars needs constant maintenance. Different from what BMW's typically needs but failures nonetheless. At least BMW is willing to service these cars trying to make the customers happy. I wouldn't be surprised some brands would just leave it at "its normal" and send you on your way....

Alan
Yea but when you experience it first hand, its a different story. Having to go back and forth to the dealer is one of the most annoying things for me. These issues (bearings/brakes) existed on the F10 M5 as well, yet they still exist five years later on the F85. I was already ready to jump ship on BMW for various reasons, this was just what put me over the edge.
      09-27-2016, 03:01 PM   #405
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickC23 View Post
I have a friend who is moving and needs to buy his first car, knowing Im a car nut he asked for some serious recommendations. Based on my experience with this X5, I said 100% no to the X3, but said definitely to the Q5. Hopefully the Q5 is as solid as the Q7.
Of the three lemon law cases we had against Audi, two were for Q5 vehicles. Not exactly the best made car....on the second lemon case for a Q5, they handed me a new car, one model year newer, I drove it, wrapped in its delivery plastic, etc. down the road to BMW, and traded it in with 8 miles on the clock for my X5 35d.

After the past few years of car experiences, I've concluded no luxury car is perfect, some less so than others, and that they are definitely not to be owned out of warranty. Otherwise, drive the crap out of them, have the manufacturer repair them as many times as needed, on their dime, and then move on before the warranty runs out, and if you're lucky, lemon the sucker, and move on to something new, before you expected to be able to......
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 03:01 PM   #406
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Yea this is my last BMW as well - I am pretty certain every X5M does this, most people just dont care or notice. I already regret this lease, as I rushed into it, my fault. But after four BMWs and three Ms, I am ready to go with other options as they are aplenty. Since I got my 911, Porsche has really got my eye, and I no longer recommend BMW to friends either. I am actually hoping BMW send me some type of survey soon regarding my satisfaction with the X5M, b/c I will tear it apart. Yes, it sounds harsh, and some think its just clicking, but i refuse to accept that a car this expensive should click and squeak and it is not a problem. Yes, 1% problems, but still a problem.

Hopefully BMW does pay attention to the boards, but maybe they do and realize we are such a small portion of the BMW demographic, albeit the most influenced.
I have 2 friends that have audi q5's. One has a lot of issues and one is issue free. they are within 2 model years of each other. None are first year models.

I have had numerous issues with my AUDI S4 back in 2005. It was all electrical and they had to tear apart my car to fix it. I saw my car with most of the interior torn out and a tech trying to re piece the lighting and electrical components back together to fix the issues I was having.

My wife has a 2015 gs350 and it has a constant ticking noise coming from the engine that is "normal" and part of the direct injection. I have had numerous direct injection cars and NONE of them TICK as loud as my wife's lexus. It is loud enough to be heard inside the car and outside on any given day.

My old 2008 C63 ate oil. one quart every 5k miles, always. I also had a annoying rattle in the rear of the car caused by the window shade, which the dealer refused to fix.

My wife's old 2010 E350 transmission started to clunk and shift roughly, it is a known issue and it was very very annoying.

As for Porsche- there are 2 youtube channel guys that have lemon'd their 991 911's. Obsessed Garage and Nick Murray.

starting to see a pattern here?

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S

Last edited by dkhm3; 09-27-2016 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 04:46 PM   #407
SakM_5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
I have 2 friends that have audi q5's. One has a lot of issues and one is issue free. they are within 2 model years of each other. None are first year models.

I have had numerous issues with my AUDI S4 back in 2005. It was all electrical and they had to tear apart my car to fix it. I saw my car with most of the interior torn out and a tech trying to re piece the lighting and electrical components back together to fix the issues I was having.

My wife has a 2015 gs350 and it has a constant ticking noise coming from the engine that is "normal" and part of the direct injection. I have had numerous direct injection cars and NONE of them TICK as loud as my wife's lexus. It is loud enough to be heard inside the car and outside on any given day.

My old 2008 C63 ate oil. one quart every 5k miles, always. I also had a annoying rattle in the rear of the car caused by the window shade, which the dealer refused to fix.

My wife's old 2010 E350 transmission started to clunk and shift roughly, it is a known issue and it was very very annoying.

As for Porsche- there are 2 youtube channel guys that have lemon'd their 991 911's. Obsessed Garage and Nick Murray.

My wife has a 2016 q5. They feel cheap. The quality of BMW is way better. I had an s5 back in 2012 and I felt the same way.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 08:46 PM   #408
seanzhux
Rep
Drives: 2015 x6m LBB

I do not mind the issues, as long as it can be fixed by one or two visits. Here is different, one year since I bought it, at least 8 fixes 16 visits, just for brake and bearing, still not solved. This is not right.

Why BMW just tell me, it's normal, you have to live with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 09:25 PM   #409
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:

What is the pattern? That machines break? All I said is I was on the fence with BMW, given the problems I have had with the F85, my personal choice is I'm out since my F10 showed the same issues and it's not yet resolved. I'm not sure what 2 lemoned 991s on YouTube is really telling me, how many weren't lemoned? My own fault for not doing the extensive research on the f85 because of you read this thread, the general tone is definitely not positive.

Let's just say I'm glad the first car I've ever leased is the F85.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 09:40 PM   #410
arrivederci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

If you want no issues and a luxury vehicle, go Lexus IMO. Performance? Porsche. BMW and Audi can be hit or miss. Some people have great luck and some have terrible luck.

Lexus LX470 (2 of them) with pretty much no issues, although the 2004 transmission didn't sound/feel quite right.

2002 Audi allroad with plenty of air suspension issues but that's what a warranty is for.

2013 E70 x5d that had a few little things - mostly tire pressure sensors not behaving.

2013 Audi S4 - visited the dealer 3 times in 3 years for oil changes only...it was nearly flawless. I did complain about squeaky brakes and they handed me a brochure that said 'S' brakes are high performance and therefore they are noisy. Simple solution was to put different (non OEM) pads on.

2016 328d wagon hasn't been back to the dealer yet but there are some annoying creaks/squeaks that have developed in less than 10K miles. Great car and nothing else wrong that I'm aware of. Hope to get that fixed during first scheduled service.

2017 F85 just picked up last Saturday. SOS malfunction warnings started yesterday. Minor annoyance for now. Will get it fixed at first service. Hope they come up with a wheel bearing fix as it is something I'd notice. Brakes are squeaking too with about 200 miles on it. My BMW dealer drops a loaner at my house and takes my car in...so it isn't too inconvenient.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 10:29 PM   #411
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What is the pattern? That machines break? All I said is I was on the fence with BMW, given the problems I have had with the F85, my personal choice is I'm out since my F10 showed the same issues and it's not yet resolved. I'm not sure what 2 lemoned 991s on YouTube is really telling me, how many weren't lemoned? My own fault for not doing the extensive research on the f85 because of you read this thread, the general tone is definitely not positive.

Let's just say I'm glad the first car I've ever leased is the F85.
the pattern is that most makes have issues, and it is more model specific than just make specific.

in a couple of months the Cayenne GTS we ordered for my dad is going to arrive, so we'll see how this p car does.

i've tried a ton of cars and makes (ford, mazda x2, infiniti x2, lexus x2, audi, acura, mb x2) and problems are not unique to bmw.

Previously:

Last edited by dkhm3; 09-27-2016 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 09:43 AM   #412
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
the pattern is that most makes have issues, and it is more model specific than just make specific.

in a couple of months the Cayenne GTS we ordered for my dad is going to arrive, so we'll see how this p car does.

i've tried a ton of cars and makes (ford, mazda x2, infiniti x2, lexus x2, audi, acura, mb x2) and problems are not unique to bmw.
I had my 911GTS for 5months now, had 11 BMWs + current F85. 911 has 0 issues, first time owning a German car with 0 issues after 5 months. I drive that thing at near redlines every-time I hop in (after the oil warms up). After 5k miles, I did gave her 1/8qt of oil which is awesome.

I had Acuras, Infinitis, 350z, etc.. 0 issues, but way less exciting to own and drive.

Out of my 11 BMWs, the N55 and S55 motors were the most reliable (other than 1 lemon X5 Sport 35, bad wiring or ECU). I don't think I would consider another V8 BMW again. I had issues with my F02 750Li, F10 M5, and now F85 X5M.

Yes, if I wanted a more reliable car I would've gotten a Lexus. Audi isn't much better, trust me. Also, I would never own an Audi over an BMW after warranty is out. All minor service on the Audi requires the front bumper, radiators, etc to come off. Their engine bay is way too tight so maintenance/repair cost is outrageous. Sure, their parts to fix is cheaper than BMW but the labor is 5-10x more.
      09-28-2016, 09:48 AM   #413
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Also, I would never own an Audi over an BMW after warranty is out. All minor service on the Audi requires the front bumper, radiators, etc to come off. Their engine bay is way too tight so maintenance/repair cost is outrageous. Sure, their parts to fix is cheaper than BMW but the labor is 5-10x more.
Fact.

My buddy who is a die hard audi guy is always telling me insane stories about how they have to remove the oil pan just to change the sway bar or they have to drop the entire engine out of the car just to swap the down pipes or turbos.

I also read that on the older model V8 S4's they have to pull the motor out just to change out the timing belt/pullies which are prone to fail.

Alan
      09-28-2016, 02:32 PM   #414
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
I had my 911GTS for 5months now, had 11 BMWs + current F85. 911 has 0 issues, first time owning a German car with 0 issues after 5 months. I drive that thing at near redlines every-time I hop in (after the oil warms up). After 5k miles, I did gave her 1/8qt of oil which is awesome.

I had Acuras, Infinitis, 350z, etc.. 0 issues, but way less exciting to own and drive.

Out of my 11 BMWs, the N55 and S55 motors were the most reliable (other than 1 lemon X5 Sport 35, bad wiring or ECU). I don't think I would consider another V8 BMW again. I had issues with my F02 750Li, F10 M5, and now F85 X5M.

Yes, if I wanted a more reliable car I would've gotten a Lexus. Audi isn't much better, trust me. Also, I would never own an Audi over an BMW after warranty is out. All minor service on the Audi requires the front bumper, radiators, etc to come off. Their engine bay is way too tight so maintenance/repair cost is outrageous. Sure, their parts to fix is cheaper than BMW but the labor is 5-10x more.
based on what i've read at least for german car manuf reliability in general:

porsche>bmw>mb>audi>vw

still, read a lot of out of warranty issues with cayennes (mostly previous gen) on rennlist. I am kind of afraid to own a p car out of warranty as well. parts and labor makes it hard to not just save your money and sell it.

Previously:
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 01:49 AM   #415
Billaeon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5M Comp

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
porsche>bmw>mb>audi>vw
I have to respectfully disagree.

I came from the VAG world (Audi / VW) and had few issues with any of the cars I have owned. Aside from the random interior light going out on one of my B8 S4s, and a couple of coilpacks on my 01 A4 (known issue with the old Bosch CPs), all of my cars were extremely reliable. All were chipped / modified, all were driven hard (track days at Laguna Seca and PIR), all were well taken care of (oil changed at 5k w/synth, all regular maintenance performed, etc).

I've had more issues with the X5M in the last 10 months of ownership than I had with my last 3 Audi's combined.

past: '20 X3MC - Toranto Red | '17 S8 - Matte Silver | '16 X5M - LBB | '14 SQ5 - Estoril | '13 S4 - Glacier | '12 S4 - Ibis | '09 GTI - White | '01 S4 (Stg 3) - Laser | '01 A4 (1.8T) - Santorin | '97 Jetta GT - Black | '94 Integra EX - White
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 09:42 AM   #416
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5 CS

2015 X5M at BMW of Cape Cod

Anyone here traded that puppy in recently? Any idea if it has the wheel bearing issue. I'm considering that vehicle for purchase. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #417
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 E92, 17 X5M, 15 Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by malrash View Post
Anyone here traded that puppy in recently? Any idea if it has the wheel bearing issue. I'm considering that vehicle for purchase. Thanks
Cape Cod? Uh oh, hopefully it's not UrbanExtant's old car that they could never fix.
Appreciate 1
malrash184.50
      09-29-2016, 10:00 AM   #418
SakM_5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by malrash View Post
def, urbanextants old car. Same color combo and around the same miles as posted in the posts. They cpo'd it.
Appreciate 1
malrash184.50