BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-17-2016, 11:12 PM   #1
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition Frozen Bla

2017 X5M - Apple CarPlay Inconsistent Connectivity

Have had my 17 X5M for a week now and have been diving in on the use of CarPlay. When I picked up the car new it paired without issue and operated well. For the first day or so when I would get into the car my phone (iPhone 6S Plus, iOS9) would connect immediately without issue. Then on day 3 I got in to drive home from work and realized the phone didn't connect. I had to pull over to troubleshoot it and ultimately needed to delete the phone from the car and re-pair it. Since then, connectivity when starting the vehicle is inconsistent at best. When connectivity doesn't happen, it even affects the phone connecting via iDrive (instead of CarPlay). Have tried the following things

1. Plugging the phone into USB prior to starting the vehicle
2. Starting vehicle first, ensuring connectivity, then plugging the phone into USB
3. making sure WiFi is off on my phone, then starting car, then plugging into USB
4. Making sure WiFi is on, starting the car, then plugging into USB
5. Going into Settings>General>CarPlay and setting it to "USB Only" on the iPhone. Then turning wifi off. Then starting the car

I haven't been able to find the right mix or order of connectivity and settings to get it right. Has anyone else with a 17 X5M experienced this?

Some other random notes on my CarPlay experience 1 week in

1. CarPlay, when working, seems to only do so wirelessly. I've tried to route it through a USB connection with no luck. Reason this matters: sound quality of music from Spotify. The bass and mids seem to really lack when music is played through CarPlay (I have the B&O Sound System)

2. When you are in CarPlay, and hit the "Map" button on the iDrive cluster, it takes you to Apple Maps, not the BMW Navigation Maps. You can get to the BMW Navigation Maps by hitting the "Nav" button, then "Maps"

3. When you are connected through CarPlay, your contacts will NOT sync to iDrive.

4. #3 matters because I haven't been able to dial a contact through voice control (by hitting the voice control steering wheel button).

5. The iOS messages integration is really awesome. Even if you aren't in the CarPlay screen, when a text message arrives, a notification drops down from the top of the Nav screen (just like an iPhone). You can tap that notification and Siri will read you the text message, then ask if you if you want to reply. If you say "yes" you can dictate your text reply, and Siri will send it. All done via voice with no need to touch the actual phone. One nit, you do actually have to tap the notification on the Nav screen. Would be better if Siri interrupted and prompted to read the message to you.

6. Not all apps are CarPlay compatible (show up on the screen). Apple controls which apps are able to show up on the CarPlay display. Apps that have worked for me so far are iHeartRadio, Spotify, MLB At Bat, Audiobooks, Pandora, Apple Music, Messages, Phone. Notable apps missing ESPN, NPR, CNN, NHL.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2016, 02:49 PM   #2
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

I can only really offer advice on #3.... In the 2015 & 2016 models, to get to Siri on the iPhone via the voice button on the steering wheel, one has to hold it down for a second or two, longer than just pressing it, and then when releasing the button, the Siri "ding ding" will play, and you can talk to your iPhone as you normally would. One can even send messages via iMessage this way, simply say, "send text message to XXXX", then wait for the prompt from Siri, dictate, she reads it back, and asks if you want to send it. The 2015-2016 X5 M does not have carplay, so I don't know if this approach is now different in the 2017 models.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2016, 03:24 PM   #3
Mpolsky99
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 cab

Have you been able to add/delete icons from the Apple CarPlay screen? Amazon music is approved, but I cannot figure out how to get it to be displayed. Any luck?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2016, 05:04 PM   #4
Ridicule23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

try updating your phone to iOS10
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2016, 06:36 PM   #5
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpolsky99 View Post
Have you been able to add/delete icons from the Apple CarPlay screen? Amazon music is approved, but I cannot figure out how to get it to be displayed. Any luck?
Haven't tried that yet. I'll try Tuesday when I'm back from my business trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridicule23 View Post
try updating your phone to iOS10
Did that a few days ago. It is a bit better, but not 100%. Will keep watching it.
      09-19-2016, 12:56 PM   #6
IndyM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M (DG/MR)

I had the same issue on my '17... VERY annoying. As you pointed out, when Car Play doesn't connect, it does not default to BlueTooth... you are just left totally disconnected.

I asked the dealer to look into it when my car was in for the 1200 mile service last week. I assumed they wouldn't be able to replicate the issue, but fortunately, they were. They performed a "Battery and Control Module Reset." I lost some stored settings in iDrive, but Car Play seemed to work with my iPhone 6s (iOs 9.XXX) without any problem on Friday evening. I didn't drive the car all weekend, and this morning synced my new iPhone 7. System performed without issue on the drive to work this morning.

I'll report back if the issue resurfaces...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 12:59 PM   #7
IndyM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
I can only really offer advice on #3.... In the 2015 & 2016 models, to get to Siri on the iPhone via the voice button on the steering wheel, one has to hold it down for a second or two, longer than just pressing it, and then when releasing the button, the Siri "ding ding" will play, and you can talk to your iPhone as you normally would. One can even send messages via iMessage this way, simply say, "send text message to XXXX", then wait for the prompt from Siri, dictate, she reads it back, and asks if you want to send it. The 2015-2016 X5 M does not have carplay, so I don't know if this approach is now different in the 2017 models.
Yes, this still works on 2017s with CarPlay. One short touch gets you voice command through iDrive. The long hold (2 seconds or so, as noted) gets you to Siri and CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 01:31 AM   #8
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update: I received my iphone 7 on Wednesday last week and paired it with the X5M with no problem. Since then, I've had no connectivity issues between the car and iPhone, and the connection happens faster. Also, Siri voice recognition is also faster.
      09-26-2016, 04:02 PM   #9
IndyM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-X5 View Post
Update: I received my iphone 7 on Wednesday last week and paired it with the X5M with no problem. Since then, I've had no connectivity issues between the car and iPhone, and the connection happens faster. Also, Siri voice recognition is also faster.
Agreed, I have had much better luck with the iPhone 7 than I did with 6S. Let's hope it continues!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 04:17 PM   #10
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Interesting thing is wifi needing to be on for CarPlay to work. I'm trying to figure out if the Bmw implementation allows USB only CarPlay.