BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-12-2016, 05:28 PM   #23
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

When I first posted in this thread, I was only planning to a Windows 10 server build, now it's done and I am pretty impressed.

I always build my PC's and this was no different. Running an i5-6400 Skylake processor on a Z170M based motherboard. 16GB DDR4 RAM, a 128GB M/2 SSD for the OS, and 3x3 WD Red drives for storage. Windows 10 runs great headless and use Plex Media Server to stream everything.

While I did use more expensive hardware than I originally planned, that also will provide me with plenty or service time from the machine. I got 5 years out of my WHS2011 box so I am anticipating much the same out of this.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #24
Dr3K0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

FWIW, I have one too. I used a gaming rig (i7 3770K @4.9G, 16G RAM, SSD for OS, Asus ROG Formula V on a custom water loop, 1000w psu) and got an IBM Raid card with 512mb + battery that support 8 SATA HDs; and water-cooled that sucker as well. 8x 2TB Hitachi Ultratstar HDs (those are enterprise class). Yes, very geeky and specific.

I was looking for Bluray quality on streamed media and the only one that came close to the same was using MKV + the highest audio track. Each movie gets around 25Gig and streaming is about 20mbps. I have some friends and family that we share servers by means of Site-to-Site VPNs and SSL VPN to each house so we can stream HiDef securely to mobile devices outside their homes. The server can keep up like a champ no matter what I throw at it, my problem is the upload speed from my ISP. I will be getting fiber soon and the problem will be solved.

But after everything said and done, the disk still some "magic" that makes it looks a hair better. Tried using hand break but MKV is the best for quality.

If you are looking for a budget setup, change the file format to mp4-mv4 so the unit that will receive the stream can just be direct feed and not transcoded. CPU will dictate who much you can transcode and how many simultaneous streams can do. Also the quality of audio and video you want to get will play a role if you want to stream local or external. In my case I'm using SSLVPN and can get great quality DVD type, that max about 8mbps so does not get weird jumping from cell tower to cell tower. Probably after the fiber upgrade at my home can do full BD resolution externally.

Hope helps
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 12:58 PM   #25
sickF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

amd fx8350
16gb ram
freenas on a 8gb usb drive
12tb
plex

i can stream full hd to 4 devices at a time without any hiccups.
Appreciate 0