United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
I read a few k more than the C450 sedan so about 54/55k base
From what I've read the C450 is simply being renamed the C43 (and coming as a coupe), so I wouldn't expect much of a change in price, unless Merc is trying to pull a fast one.
According to what I read the C450 is the sedan, and the coupe will be the c43

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...coupe-revealed

The coupes cost a little more than the sedan once again according to the above. Similar to the M3 vs M4
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 08:46 PM   #25
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
LOL AMG

Almost every manufacture who has a performance sub division, e.g. M, S, AMG, are guilty of slapping badges onto cars to improve sales and money flow. If anything, BMW might be worse as they put "M" badges everywhere on cars with "M-Performance package" or parts. If I'm not mistaken, MB only uses AMG wording on non-AMG cars on their wheels (plus the actual badge now), but not various interior trim parts.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 09:38 PM   #26
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:

The sedan will also be renamed C43 starting with MY2017. From the article you just posted:

"The C43 Coupe is basically the coupe version of the Mercedes-Benz C450 sedan, which itself is expected to be rebranded a Mercedes-AMG C43."
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 09:47 PM   #27
rob24ert
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
From what I've read the C450 is simply being renamed the C43 (and coming as a coupe), so I wouldn't expect much of a change in price, unless Merc is trying to pull a fast one.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 05:25 AM   #28
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4
Almost every manufacture who has a performance sub division, e.g. M, S, AMG, are guilty of slapping badges onto cars to improve sales and money flow. If anything, BMW might be worse as they put "M" badges everywhere on cars with "M-Performance package" or parts. If I'm not mistaken, MB only uses AMG wording on non-AMG cars on their wheels (plus the actual badge now), but not various interior trim parts.
It's all BS and confusing as hell, BMW is prob the worst honestly. Even number coupes except for GC 4 doors, GT everything, that's confusing without even getting into base, kinda M, real M, M SUVs which I think is a BS concept anyway.

Audi is prob cleanest with exception of SQ5 and upcoming SQ7. Until they start making RS SUVs that is.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 06:40 AM   #29
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Audi is prob cleanest with exception of SQ5 and upcoming SQ7. Until they start making RS SUVs that is.
Too late. RSQ3 is already out.
[img]http://images.car.bauercdn.com/pagef...01audirsq3.jpg[/img]
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 07:15 AM   #30
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel
Quote:

The sedan will also be renamed C43 starting with MY2017. From the article you just posted:

"The C43 Coupe is basically the coupe version of the Mercedes-Benz C450 sedan, which itself is expected to be rebranded a Mercedes-AMG C43."
You are correct. Thanks. The article does state that the coupe will be somewhat more than the sedan in either case. That was the point of my original post.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 08:24 AM   #31
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I thought Audi has S-line a4 a3, etc S-line.

S badging on the wheel, fender steering wheel trim. Then they have an S then RS

A4, A4 s-line, S4, RS4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
It's all BS and confusing as hell, BMW is prob the worst honestly. Even number coupes except for GC 4 doors, GT everything, that's confusing without even getting into base, kinda M, real M, M SUVs which I think is a BS concept anyway.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 09:07 AM   #32
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
here's the other thread that we discussed this in:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1214687

i was thinking about getting one but could never get over the fake exhaust tips. i was behind one recently and it just looked so terrible and i couldn't look away. once you see it, you can't unsee it. don't get me wrong, it's fine on some cars (lexus) but not on anything with amg stamped on it imo.
      02-25-2016, 09:24 AM   #33
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You are correct. Thanks. The article does state that the coupe will be somewhat more than the sedan in either case. That was the point of my original post.
Indeed. Just like every other coupe (with perhaps rare exceptions) is more expensive than its sedan counterpart. A C300 coupe is more than a C300 sedan, a C63 coupe is more than a C63 sedan, and it was going to be similar for the midlevel products whether they are called both called C450, both called C43, or one is called the first name and one is called the other (which would be so blatantly confusing, it would be as if they were trying to make shopping their products a torturous experience).
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2016, 09:37 AM   #34
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
I think its a little weird this same sort of non-point keeps coming up.

Here's the thing - this isn't about the AMG branding. It's not really that at all, because the car was already called the "AMG C450 Sport". It already had AMG in the name.

Ok, so that's not it. What's it about then?

What this is about - and again its not really about anything else at all - is that Mercedes is now using the exact same nomenclature for all AMG products, so any difference between them, from a badging perspective, is now gone.

So if we make a list of some arbitrary AMG products:

S63
C43
CLA45
GLE43

You can't tell from the model name anymore which ones are the real deal with the hand built engine and the AMG specific chassis development, and all the other stuff that makes the car competitive with a M division proper product or Quattro RS product.

Here's a similar list of BMW products:

M3
M135i
M550d
M6

See the difference up there? Look closely, you can see it. Real M products just use a single digit. Easy to know exactly what you are being sold.

So that's the deal.

Now, is this all a big deal? Not necessarily. I certainly don't care what you call a product as long as it meets my expectations of performance and value. But that's just the thing - Mercedes can now begin to obscure things here, and mix content of what were separately tiered products without it showing up in the model name. So then, it opens the door for all manner of decontenting. Of course, in affect, this is just an acknowledgement by Mercedes that its customers really care about the badge first and the product's capabilities second. That's a shame but not exactly big news.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #35
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread
Too late. RSQ3 is already out.
[img]http://images.car.bauercdn.com/pagef...01audirsq3.jpg[/img]
Forgot about that one. Don't get me wrong, I don't give 2 shits about what any brand decides to name their cars. It gets confusing but we're not talking imaginary math or dark matter here. 30 seconds of investigating and it's pretty easy to understand. If rebadging something as a "premium lite" version or whatever helps them sell more cars, more power to them. I haven't lost any interest in my upcoming RS3 now that you reminded me that there's an SUV out there wearing the badge.

Find the world generally falls into two groups. Small minority understand this stuff and appreciate the fact that the M2 is better than the 235 which is better than the 228, for instance. Those folks tend not to care about the topic at hand. Large part of the population can get granular to about the BMW is sportier than Mercedes, Audi is better than Nissan level. There's no additional aura or mystique to one BMW versus another.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 12:19 PM   #36
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
If it makes it go faster (M performance, M, RS, S, proper AMG) I don't care.
If it doesn't (M Sport, S-line, faux AMG styling), it's an embarrassment.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2016, 06:29 AM   #37
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
A good tune should wake it up nicely.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 09:59 AM   #38
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedRide
A good tune should wake it up nicely.
It does indeed, Brabus offers one. Expensive though.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 10:38 AM   #39
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post

Now, is this all a big deal? Not necessarily. I certainly don't care what you call a product as long as it meets my expectations of performance and value. But that's just the thing - Mercedes can now begin to obscure things here, and mix content of what were separately tiered products without it showing up in the model name. So then, it opens the door for all manner of decontenting. Of course, in affect, this is just an acknowledgement by Mercedes that its customers really care about the badge first and the product's capabilities second. That's a shame but not exactly big news.

Is the M2 or the 1M a true M product since they don't have bespoke engines?

It's confusing from all manufacturers.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 11:30 AM   #40
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
Is the M2 or the 1M a true M product since they don't have bespoke engines?
It's true, but not particularly relevant here.

Those vehicles still have significant performance gains over the rest of their siblings and sit clearly at the top of the lineup. They have specially designed features to give them the performance the vehicle needs to compete with the top products in the class from other manufacturers such as ample power, a high performance transmission (missed on the low production 1M, added to the M2), completely upgraded chassis, and more.

If the M2 had a detuned S55 instead of a higher output N55, it would be a heavier and more expensive car. If M had played the game as Mercedes is, they would have called the engine an S56 instead, and then we wouldn't even be making these posts right now.

An M5/M6 don't have wider fenders than the series car - are they still true M products? Certainly they are.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #41
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

Quote:
It's true, but not particularly relevant here.

An M5/M6 don't have wider fenders than the series car - are they still true M products? Certainly they are.
I was just pointing out that you can't really tell by BMW's naming convention either if it's a true M car either since the M2 and 1M might not be considered true M cars by the purists.

I agree with you though, I feel that both the M2 and 1M are true M car but I'm sure some people disagree.

I feel that all the brands have diluted their heritage (AMG, M, RS, S) since it's mostly just a marketing tool now.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 12:59 PM   #42
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
I was just pointing out that you can't really tell by BMW's naming convention either if it's a true M car either since the M2 and 1M might not be considered true M cars by the purists.
I can tell pretty easily because I ignore the purists and measure the car up to its modern-day competitors, such as a CLA45, with which it competes very well.

The C450 competes well against its modern day competitors too - such as the S4/S5, 340i/440i, among others. Changing the name to C43 won't make it compete any more favorably, but it will make some people think it does, including some who posted in this thread which you can see plainly from the tone of those particular posts.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 07:46 PM   #43
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:

Here's the thing - this isn't about the AMG branding. It's not really that at all, because the car was already called the "AMG C450 Sport". It already had AMG in the name.

Ok, so that's not it. What's it about then?

What this is about - and again its not really about anything else at all - is that Mercedes is now using the exact same nomenclature for all AMG products, so any difference between them, from a badging perspective, is now gone.

So if we make a list of some arbitrary AMG products:

S63
C43
CLA45
GLE43

You can't tell from the model name anymore which ones are the real deal with the hand built engine and the AMG specific chassis development, and all the other stuff that makes the car competitive with a M division proper product or Quattro RS product.

Here's a similar list of BMW products:

M3
M135i
M550d
M6

See the difference up there? Look closely, you can see it. Real M products just use a single digit. Easy to know exactly what you are being sold.

So that's the deal.

They said they were gonna release the 43 models across the board, including an E43.

It will be pretty weird when they have this lineup:
E250
E350
E43
E550
E63

The E43 is slower and makes less power than the E550.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 08:07 PM   #44
rainfall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A

I think they wanna compete w 4 series, not 2. At least this year's C coupe has a 111in wheelbase and it's pretty heavy too. Unless they change things significantly, it won't attract the same customers as the 2 series buyers.
Appreciate 0