BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-11-2016, 12:53 PM   #1
IndyM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M (DG/MR)

2017 X5M Order Accepted!

I've been lurking on the board for the past several months, learning a lot and contributing where I can. Just wanted to share my exciting news that my order for a 2017 X5M was accepted by BMW last Friday! My build week is week 32, August 8-12. 2017 F85 production begins Aug. 1st, so I should have one of the first 2017 MY F85s produced.

My build specs are as follows (nothing unusual):
> Donington Grey w/ Mugello Red... common on this board, but there is not another one in my area (Indianapolis)
> CF trim
> Executive Pkg
> Driver Assistance Plus
> Apple CarPlay
> B&O

I am planning to do Performance Delivery... Waiting for list of available dates from the Delivery Center, but I'm hoping for late August.

I've had several BMWS, including 4 M3s, and currently have a '13 E70, so I'm not new to BMWs or M cars. But I'm really excited to experience the F85! I really hope it meets my expectations because I had to place my order without ever driving one!

I'm looking forward to following the build process. It's going to be a loooong 6+ weeks until delivery!
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2016, 01:23 PM   #2
RaVe
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Driving Assist plus ? Its Driving Assist not plus or ?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 03:36 PM   #3
IndyM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaVe View Post
Driving Assist plus ? Its Driving Assist not plus or ?
My build sheet specifically shows "Driver Assistance Plus", option ZDB. It includes Active Blind Spot Detection, Active Driving Assistant, Surround View, Speed Limit Info. I believe it was described as "Plus" in the 2016 Ordering Guide, as well. I don't think anything has changed, but I might be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 02:00 PM   #4
IndyM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Man, I'm just not feelin' the love here! Even my wife was more excited for me! :thumbs:

Anyway, just found out that my production week was bumped from week 32 to week 31 (Aug 1-5). My CA said PCD won't let them schedule a date for factory delivery because the 2017s do not yet have EPA approval... apparently this is quite common that they don't have approval until a week or so before they start production, but I found it amusing given no mechanical changes between 2016-17.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Ah good old EPA approval. I went through that with my last 2 BMW that were one of the first batches of that model year. Usually it takes a few days to get EPA approval but this was before the whole VW debacle so who knows.
      07-14-2016, 03:54 PM   #6
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Awesome Indy! Want to see some pics on delivery. Same combo I want.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 03:56 PM   #7
IndyM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodLonghorn View Post
You have good taste!

And don't worry... there will be pictures. My wife jokes that I have more pics of all of my cars than I do of my 4 kids... So I promised her I'd try to at least get the kids in the photos with the cars!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 03:32 AM   #8
Mistertmac
Chief Warrant Officer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 ZCP,20 G06,24 G05 M60i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodLonghorn View Post
You have good taste!

And don't worry... there will be pictures. My wife jokes that I have more pics of all of my cars than I do of my 4 kids... So I promised her I'd try to at least get the kids in the photos with the cars!
Awesome! My wife's F16 is also production week 31! Looking forward to your pics!
2022 G01/X3 DG/TR M40i
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 05:39 PM   #9
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 E92, 17 X5M, 15 Huracan

Just got word that my order was accepted and the build week is 32. I have exactly the same specs but with parking assistant instead of CarPlay. Donington Grey with Mugello Red definitely seems to be a popular combo, lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 08:28 PM   #10
IndyM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxgt3 View Post
Just got word that my order was accepted and the build week is 32. I have exactly the same specs but with parking assistant instead of CarPlay. Donington Grey with Mugello Red definitely seems to be a popular combo, lol.
Congrats! I think we were lucky to get such early 2017 build allocations.

I hope I don't regret not getting Parking Assist.... I read too many bad reviews about curbed rims, etc. I rarely need to parallel park, and when I do, I've found that the top-down surround view camera on my E70 does really well.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 08:52 PM   #11
vitaly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyM View Post
Congrats! I think we were lucky to get such early 2017 build allocations.

I hope I don't regret not getting Parking Assist.... I read too many bad reviews about curbed rims, etc. I rarely need to parallel park, and when I do, I've found that the top-down surround view camera on my E70 does really well.
My CA told me the Parking Assist is a full out gimmick (he didn't phrase it as such, but that was the between-the-lines). Needless to say, I opted out as well despite considering it initially.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 10:22 PM   #12
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaly View Post
My CA told me the Parking Assist is a full out gimmick (he didn't phrase it as such, but that was the between-the-lines). Needless to say, I opted out as well despite considering it initially.
I figured it couldn't hurt at only $500. I actually had a situation on vacation where I had to parallel park multiple times and figured it could come in handy. Worst case I'll never use it lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 10:51 PM   #13
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

I ordered the parking assistant on my X5 M, and in over a year of ownership, have used it zero times. The main reason I ordered it was for resale. I bought my X5 M instead of leasing it, and friends who work at dealerships have said people looking at the higher end cars will often pass on a vehicle because it lacks options. I figured for a few hundred dollars I'd order it, if down the road it'd make my car even slightly more desirable.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 06:35 AM   #14
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
I ordered the parking assistant on my X5 M, and in over a year of ownership, have used it zero times. The main reason I ordered it was for resale. I bought my X5 M instead of leasing it, and friends who work at dealerships have said people looking at the higher end cars will often pass on a vehicle because it lacks options. I figured for a few hundred dollars I'd order it, if down the road it'd make my car even slightly more desirable.
That was part of my thinking too. The exceptions for me were car play because I read that it could delay the car (doesn't seem to be the case now, but I don't use Apple products so no biggie for me personally) and night vision. I would have gotten that except I prefer the cleaner look of the grill without it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 07:20 AM   #15
vitaly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxgt3 View Post
I figured it couldn't hurt at only $500. I actually had a situation on vacation where I had to parallel park multiple times and figured it could come in handy. Worst case I'll never use it lol.
Right, at $500 it's not a big deal considering the overall cost of the car. With the abundance of cameras, I don't see this being a valuable feature even if it worked flawlessly.

As for resale, my hunch is buyers of X5M wouldn't care much about this feature; if this were, say, a Lexus then maybe. I'd expect other options like full leather, exec, driver assist, and B&O to be valued. But, to each his own and, as mentioned, at $500 isn't a huge deal either way.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #16
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxgt3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
That was part of my thinking too. The exceptions for me were car play because I read that it could delay the car (doesn't seem to be the case now, but I don't use Apple products so no biggie for me personally) and night vision. I would have gotten that except I prefer the cleaner look of the grill without it.
I went the same way with night vision. Without the spotlight feature being active in the US, I didn't think the intrusion to the front grill was worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 09:55 AM   #17
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaly View Post
Right, at $500 it's not a big deal considering the overall cost of the car. With the abundance of cameras, I don't see this being a valuable feature even if it worked flawlessly.

As for resale, my hunch is buyers of X5M wouldn't care much about this feature; if this were, say, a Lexus then maybe. I'd expect other options like full leather, exec, driver assist, and B&O to be valued. But, to each his own and, as mentioned, at $500 isn't a huge deal either way.
You'd be surprised what happens in the used high end car market, I know I was. I'm friends with the people who own and run our local BMW dealership, and they've shown me surprising info.

You'd think carbon ceramic brakes on an M3/M4 would be desirable, but buyers continually don't want to buy even a slightly used (3-4K mile) car with them.

Others view options like parking assistant, or rear window sunshade as something they must have at the pricepoint these cars come in at used or certified pre-owned. There is a huge disconnect between what one will get for these options when selling/trading-in their vehicle, and what buyers of these cars expect them to have when purchasing them used. I ordered extra options, not expecting to get a dollar value return at trade-in/sale, but rather to make my car more desirable at resale or trade-in.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 03:31 PM   #18
IndyM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quick update (I'm sure no one cares, but I'm excited): Sales Advisor called this morning to let me know that my truck is DONE, fully built. But, it still has an "Engineering Hold" on it while they wait for the EPA to approve emissions on the 2017 model year. Damn government.

I'm planning to do Performance Center Delivery, but the Performance Center won't give me a pickup date until they release the engineering hold. My wife and I are planning to go down to pick it up and make a nice getaway out of it, but she's about to blow a fuse since I can't give her a date for the trip... we have 4 little kids going back to school next week and she's trying to make arrangements (someone to stay with the kids, etc) so we can head to SC the following week (or so) after that!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 04:01 PM   #19
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Nice. Pics when u get her
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 06:42 PM   #20
gizmo958
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evo IX, 17 X5M

congrats dude . im excited for you , donnington greys not a bad colour .
my orders on for week 37 so hopfully not to far after you ;-)

the car play is a feature in the uk we purchase through the connected drive store , from november aparantly , think in us its on the order sheet if not mistaken.

i hope u added the seat vents , 4 zone plus all seat heating.
theres a few 1/2 year old bmw x5ms for sale used and you would be surprised on how people spec them up . u definitely should add some options for residual value ;-)

i added tv fuction purly for this , as no other model has them used
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 08:03 PM   #21
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Congrats ! The M puts a huge smile on my face EVERY Day!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 09:11 PM   #22
IndyM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo958 View Post
congrats dude . im excited for you , donnington greys not a bad colour .
my orders on for week 37 so hopfully not to far after you ;-)

the car play is a feature in the uk we purchase through the connected drive store , from november aparantly , think in us its on the order sheet if not mistaken.

i hope u added the seat vents , 4 zone plus all seat heating.
theres a few 1/2 year old bmw x5ms for sale used and you would be surprised on how people spec them up . u definitely should add some options for residual value ;-)

i added tv fuction purly for this , as no other model has them used
Thanks, and congrats to you, as well! Going to come across the pond to pick it up at the Performance Delivery Center?

Yes, I got most options... only excluded the night vision, park assist, and rear entertainment (even though I'm sure my kids would have liked it). My dealer actually talked me out of the latter two... said park assist was very "gimmicky" and said that the rear entertainment was already obsolete technology... he told me to save the money and go but a couple of iPads. ha!
Appreciate 0