02-16-2017, 12:06 AM   #45
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourDoor View Post
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. Do they pull off the tires when they do these repairs? I've never had to repair a curbed rim before...
He comes over to your work or wherever you want to park your car and assuming there's an electric outlet, he works on your car there. He'll sand it down, smooth it out, apply bondo if needed and color match your wheels. Most of the common rashes like yours will come out perfect. Tougher, polished wheels may not be color matched perfectly.
Months ago, I took a wheel that had 4 bent spots on it's lip due to a tire shop not knowing how to mount a tire, to a shop close to Vernon (sort of hoodie area). They removed the wheel/tire from car, heated the lip up and molded it back to round and color matched the polished/gunmetal color. It came out almost perfect, like it'd be almost impossible for someone to notice. That was $100. Just fyi, in case you're ever in that situation. Basically, most wheels can be fixed back to practically new unless the barrel is warped.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 12:36 AM   #46
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLZ View Post
To be honest, do you really want to spend that much on all 3 wheels? One day they will curb again and you will need to repair it. I've curbed my winter set up twice and one for my summer. You just forget about it after a week or two.
can't forget about it if you're OCD like me.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 12:41 AM   #47
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by teodorjelev View Post
http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/

Alloygator - Protection for Alloy Wheels upto 21 Inch (Set of 4) £59.95
I have a different brand, but they work great.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2017, 10:27 AM   #48
FourDoor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5

Denied... (since I didn't claim it before I left)

I'm taking the X5 into a local shop today to have them fix the curb damage and check the integrity of the one tire that got slashed on the sidewall.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 11:26 AM   #49
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Xline with MPPK

Quote:
Denied... (since I didn't claim it before I left)

I'm taking the X5 into a local shop today to have them fix the curb damage and check the integrity of the one tire that got slashed on the sidewall.
Sorry man! Incidents like these makes me even more paranoid about handing my keys to anyone ... including dealer service personnel.

I suggest you consider getting a dash cam in the near future.
Appreciate 1
HomeIn2326.00
      02-24-2017, 01:28 PM   #50
FourDoor
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuera09 View Post
Sorry man! Incidents like these makes me even more paranoid about handing my keys to anyone ... including dealer service personnel.

I suggest you consider getting a dash cam in the near future.
I really wish BMW would implement something like what the Corvette does with it's valet mode and use the built in cameras to record while in valet mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 01:40 PM   #51
Mexecutioner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
I really wish BMW would implement something like what the Corvette does with it's valet mode and use the built in cameras to record while in valet mode.
You can implement that yourself
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 04:56 PM   #52
FourDoor
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexecutioner View Post
It's possible? I just looked at the coding thread and didn't see anything like that on there.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 06:54 PM   #53
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexecutioner View Post
The valet mode also blocks access to the trunk, glove box, and I think even limits the revs and speed.
HomeIn2326.00
      02-26-2017, 08:09 AM   #54
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
What pisses me off right now is that

1. I didn't see it that night so that I could rip into the valet personally
2. I tipped the guy for scratching my wheels!!!
That is what I freaking hate about these guys: they pretend as if nothing happened.
Good news there is a guy on this forum that repairs wheels, and most people swear by his work : Son Tran. Look him up on Yelp.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 12:54 PM   #55
Xee
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 M Sport

Valet clown hits I.E.D.

Bought these 21" Style 215 wheels for my X and this happens 3 days later after taking my wife to dinner for her b-day. As much as I valet I'm surprised this hasn't happened more often to be honest. What made this episode even worse was that I only saw it when I opened the door to let my wife in on the passenger side. The valet was standing on the driver's side waiting for me to come over and get in..but of course I called him over and asked what happened. At that point he starts droning on about he didn't see the construction around the corner and must have hit it.?? And that he heard a noise but when he got out the car to inspect the damage it didn't look as bad as it looked now...At which point i told him to try again..at which point he starts shaking visibly before calling his boss on the phone. They paid for the new wheel and install. Heck of a night...cheers All
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
P111563.00
nyalpine907423.50
      02-28-2017, 01:20 PM   #56
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Holy heck. And the guy tried giving your ride back without saying anything. Unbelievable.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 01:26 PM   #57
FourDoor
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
That is what I freaking hate about these guys: they pretend as if nothing happened.
Good news there is a guy on this forum that repairs wheels, and most people swear by his work : Son Tran. Look him up on Yelp.
Looks like he does nice work too. I ended up going with a local guy in Rancho Cucamonga since time and distance is a factor for me. He also does wheel repairs for some BMW dealerships. I'm pretty damn happy with the repair. You can't even tell there was damage on there was unless you run your fingers across the edge where you can feel the slight dips where they had to sand the material down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xee View Post
Bought these 21" Style 215 wheels for my X and this happens 3 days later after taking my wife to dinner for her b-day. As much as I valet I'm surprised this hasn't happened more often to be honest. What made this episode even worse was that I only saw it when I opened the door to let my wife in on the passenger side. The valet was standing on the driver's side waiting for me to come over and get in..but of course I called him over and asked what happened. At that point he starts droning on about he didn't see the construction around the corner and must have hit it.?? And that he heard a noise but when he got out the car to inspect the damage it didn't look as bad as it looked now...At which point i told him to try again..at which point he starts shaking visibly before calling his boss on the phone. They paid for the new wheel and install. Heck of a night...cheers All
Glad you were able to catch that before driving off! (but it's not like it was easy to miss, WTF) Score one for us out of the other 100x the valet gets away with it.

All I know is that I will raise some kind of stink with the restaurant management about this, but for now my sanity and time is more important than getting comp'd a dinner.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 02:48 PM   #58
NOVA99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M-B GLS 580

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
The valet mode also blocks access to the trunk, glove box, and I think even limits the revs and speed.
tell me more about this embedded valet mode? do you need to code it or are the instructions in the owner manual? thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 01:41 AM   #59
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xee View Post
Glad you caught it, and glad they paid for a new wheel. It's tough to check on your car when it's dark at night...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 01:42 AM   #60
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA99 View Post
tell me more about this embedded valet mode? do you need to code it or are the instructions in the owner manual? thanks.
Nooooo.. that's on the Corvette... not on the BMW.
      03-01-2017, 03:29 PM   #61
Xee
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 M Sport

Quote:
Looks like he does nice work too. I ended up going with a local guy in Rancho Cucamonga since time and distance is a factor for me. He also does wheel repairs for some BMW dealerships. I'm pretty damn happy with the repair. You can't even tell there was damage on there was unless you run your fingers across the edge where you can feel the slight dips where they had to sand the material down.

Glad you were able to catch that before driving off! (but it's not like it was easy to miss, WTF) Score one for us out of the other 100x the valet gets away with it.

All I know is that I will raise some kind of stink with the restaurant management about this, but for now my sanity and time is more important than getting comp'd a dinner.
Yeah man, I raised a stink with the manager alright but he quickly informed me that they outsource valet to a third party, which I kinda new but was hoping he would help me manage the situation.
Appreciate 0