BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-13-2017, 09:54 PM   #1
okkin
Rep
Drives: GT4

Suspension Suspension Suspension Decisions

Ok guys here we go. First official BimmerPost! I have read everything on here pertaining to the X5. and I really appreciate your advice. Long story short. New X5 Build xDrive 35i (haven't ordered yet though) Want the X5 to corner as flat as possible. I tend to really drive my vehicles hard and so does my wife. This will be her new daily. (other fun car is the Porsche GT4 and coming to the dark side with BMW . I plan on modding this X5 carbon, exhaust, tune etc... Going with the M Package 20" Wheels for now, but potentially considering the 22" wheels because the 20" just look a little small..not too sure yet.

What do I order you think?

Option 1: Stock Suspension (no M suspension add $900, no DHP) I tear it all out and go with full KW V3 Coilovers which would potentially give both a better stance and handling i presume?

Option 2: Go with the M Suspension add ($900) and go with something like H&R Springs and drop the DHP.

Option 3: Go with the M Suspension ($900) along the DHP (dealer thinks I am crazy for wanting this combo, but he is not the one driving it..... but then I would have to keep the stock ride height?

22" firm ride will come into play and I have seen another member on here with his HRE 22" setup....pretty sweet. I believe that set-up was stock suspension with coil overs? "dubsesd" I believe....

Thoughts?

thanks in advance...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 12:39 AM   #2
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

If you like dubsesd set up then it would be best for you to go for option #1. I wasn't aware you could get M adaptive suspension along with DHP. Pretty sure if you tick on DHP it would replace the M suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 03:08 AM   #3
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by okkin View Post
Ok guys here we go. First official BimmerPost! I have read everything on here pertaining to the X5. and I really appreciate your advice. Long story short. New X5 Build xDrive 35i (haven't ordered yet though) Want the X5 to corner as flat as possible. I tend to really drive my vehicles hard and so does my wife. This will be her new daily. (other fun car is the Porsche GT4 and coming to the dark side with BMW . I plan on modding this X5 carbon, exhaust, tune etc... Going with the M Package 20" Wheels for now, but potentially considering the 22" wheels because the 20" just look a little small..not too sure yet.

What do I order you think?

Option 1: Stock Suspension (no M suspension add $900, no DHP) I tear it all out and go with full KW V3 Coilovers which would potentially give both a better stance and handling i presume?

Option 2: Go with the M Suspension add ($900) and go with something like H&R Springs and drop the DHP.

Option 3: Go with the M Suspension ($900) along the DHP (dealer thinks I am crazy for wanting this combo, but he is not the one driving it..... but then I would have to keep the stock ride height?

22" firm ride will come into play and I have seen another member on here with his HRE 22" setup....pretty sweet. I believe that set-up was stock suspension with coil overs? "dubsesd" I believe....

Thoughts?

thanks in advance...
My thoughts.....

Buy a Macan or even a Cayenne, not a X5....

However.......if you're set on buying the BM, I'd stick with 20" and got for the M-Adaptive with DHP.
      02-14-2017, 06:53 AM   #4
wearenh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 x35i DHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLZ View Post
...I wasn't aware you could get M adaptive suspension along with DHP. Pretty sure if you tick on DHP it would replace the M suspension.

Actually DHP includes it ... $4500 DHP = $3600 + $900

Also, your analysis ignores two of the best features of DHP
  1. Active Roll Stabilization - REALLY WORKS!!!!
  2. Torque Vectoring Diff
If the dealer thinks you are crazy, then (like most dealers) he hasn't driven a DHP car back to back
with a non-DHP car ... when I purchased my DHP I had to go on what was written, since there
were none to be test driven ... since then I have gotten a non-DHP Msport as a loaner during an
oil change ... boy am I glad I got the DHP!!!
Appreciate 1
SpeedN866.00
      02-14-2017, 08:11 AM   #5
okkin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
My thoughts.....

Buy a Macan or even a Cayenne, not a X5....

However.......if you're set on buying the BM, I'd stick with 20" and got for the M-Adaptive with DHP.

Agreed!Almost pulled the trigger on a Macan GTS (what a car) until we realized that it was going to be a little too small for our family. And the Cayenne..well that much just a bit too much after all the options and bells and whistles I wanted for a daily...
Then we saw the X5 and it was a happy medium with both space and drive
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 08:12 AM   #6
okkin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearenh View Post

2. Torque Vectoring Diff
If the dealer thinks you are crazy, then (like most dealers) he hasn't driven a DHP car back to back
with a non-DHP car ... when I purchased my DHP I had to go on what was written, since there
were none to be test driven ... since then I have gotten a non-DHP Msport as a loaner during an
I guess the main question is will coilovers make the X5 handle better than this M/DHP setup....
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 08:27 AM   #7
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wearenh View Post

2. Torque Vectoring Diff
I guess the main question is will coilovers make the X5 handle better than this M/DHP setup....
Definitely will. Waiting for my V3's to get here and will report back.
      02-14-2017, 08:42 AM   #8
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
It's a 2.5Te SUV......

I'd take the active dampers, active anti-roll bar technology and active diff of the DHP over a set of coil-overs any day of the week......covers all bases, comfort when you need it, handling when you need it.

Coil-overs are a one-trick pony.....
      02-14-2017, 09:15 AM   #9
okkin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
It's a 2.5Te SUV......

I'd take the active dampers, active anti-roll bar technology and active diff of the DHP over a set of coil-overs any day of the week......covers all bases, comfort when you need it, handling when you need it.

Coil-overs are a one-trick pony.....
I agree about the one tricky pony,but simple and maybe effective.
But the Active Dampners, DHP tech has got me worried long term..think MClaren 12C suspension or 4Runner XReas suspension. One shock leaks and it was a $4000 repair bill to replace the entire 4Runner system. I can' even imagine what BMW wants for replacement for all of this because I know long term something in this system will fail...thinking about long term as well as this will be a purchase.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 09:17 AM   #10
okkin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaughan View Post
Definitely will. Waiting for my V3's to get here and will report back.
Thanks Matt, have you have experience driving the X5 with the DHP pack?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #11
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: People crazy

I wish someone would provide us with beefier sway bars. That would neutralize some of the sway we get.
      02-14-2017, 01:25 PM   #12
BitteEinBit
Field Marshall
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X5 35i DHP MPPK

I love my DHP as you can pretty much take corners at any speed and agree with wearenh:

DHP includes Adaptive M Suspension (Dynamic Damper Control + rear air suspension) and adds Active Roll Stabilization and Dynamic Performance Control.

Dynamic Performance Control switches power between the left and right rear wheels (torque vectoring diff) to stabilize the vehicle within milliseconds and help increase traction and lateral acceleration. Handling is lighter and more precise during normal as well as difficult driving conditions.

Active Roll Stabilization: On the road, a vehicle’s body tends to roll in corners, which can affect handling. Active Roll Stabilization, incorporates two-piece anti-roll bars to generate stronger resistance to body roll, keeping the vehicle more level and providing maximum stability and agility.

Dynamic Damper Control: This system adjusts the damping characteristics to suit driving conditions and road quality. The damping changes contribute to a more stable-feeling ride, while a self-leveling air suspension adjusts the height of your rear axle to optimize driving dynamics.

Last edited by BitteEinBit; 02-14-2017 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 03:26 PM   #13
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:
Thanks Matt, have you have experience driving the X5 with the DHP pack?
Sorry, no.
      02-14-2017, 03:48 PM   #14
SpdAddictRY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 50i

Depends on your priority. If looks and stance outweighs comfort and performance, go with the coils. Nothing aftermarket will beat DHP.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 04:33 PM   #15
okkin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpdAddictRY View Post
Depends on your priority. If looks and stance outweighs comfort and performance, go with the coils. Nothing aftermarket will beat DHP.
That is what I am figuring. I highly doubt I am going the road of 22" although the 20" look a little small and 21" are out of the question.

Also to consider if anything happens down the road with all this complicated suspension set up, but i guess this is probably the way to go M with DHP.

How about the camp that gives you the M and H&R lowering springs?
And If I get a performance shop to make heavier sways?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 07:13 PM   #16
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Your X5's electronics and computer will probably be as costly if not more than the DHP suspension system. If you are worried and you have every right to be, I'd get extended warranty. Based on what I've read a lot of members here and other forums would never own a BMW out of warranty anyway : life is too short to worry about these things. Get what you want and drive the X5 to the ground and get another one rinse and repeat.
      02-14-2017, 09:14 PM   #17
wearenh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 x35i DHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitteEinBit View Post
....Active Roll Stabilization, incorporates two-piece anti-roll bars to generate stronger resistance to body roll, keeping the vehicle more level and providing maximum stability and agility....

I totally agree! ... and calling them just two piece anti-roll bars is understatement ... they
actually have a computer activated high torque motor that twists the bar against the tipping force
of the car which makes the anti roll bar act like a thin soft bar in easy driving, and a thick hard bar in
aggressive cornering ... the best of both worlds! ... no need to put up with big anti roll bar
harshness at around town speeds .... here is a pic:

Appreciate 1
      02-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #18
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: very fast!

Why not an X5M?

A lot of good advice here; my two cents if you want the X5, go with option 3....especially if you are not concerned about life after warranty.

We opted for the standard suspension, but plan on keeping the X5 for a few years after warranty and really wanted a nice smooth ride that handles well in the mountains of Colorado. Would have went for the DHP if it were not for the price tag and long term reliability/cost of maintaining an air suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 01:54 PM   #19
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

For what it's worth, I really enjoy the ride of my standard suspension on 21" wheels with MPSS tires. And I came from an E70 with DHP.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 10:36 PM   #20
okkin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2///M View Post
Why not an X5M?

A lot of good advice here; my two cents if you want the X5, go with option 3....especially if you are not concerned about life after warranty.

We opted for the standard suspension, but plan on keeping the X5 for a few years after warranty and really wanted a nice smooth ride that handles well in the mountains of Colorado. Would have went for the DHP if it were not for the price tag and long term reliability/cost of maintaining an air suspension.
This is what worries me as well. Long term, but looking at that setup in the previous post/picture wonder how much that will be to replace when that motor actually fails after years of use....
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 10:37 PM   #21
okkin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
For what it's worth, I really enjoy the ride of my standard suspension on 21" wheels with MPSS tires. And I came from an E70 with DHP.
Wonder if the happen medium is the M Suspension with an H&R Spring Kit?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 10:48 PM   #22
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Wonder if the happen medium is the M Suspension with an H&R Spring Kit?
M Suspension, sure, but not with H&R. Eibach, probably.
Appreciate 0