BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-16-2017, 11:44 AM   #1
andrewx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

How to change it?

Hi guys,
I got my 16 X5M in early September here in Canada last year, for business reason, I am heading down to Texas son. I will stay in Texas about 2 years . So my questions are:

1. How do I change my speedometer from km to miles? I know this question has been asked many times, but it seems like everyone has a different answer.
2. Will BMW USA honor the 4 years warranty and maintenance?
3.What other things do I need to modify/change enter the US?

Thank you all!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 04:54 PM   #2
VGM6
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M & E63 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewx View Post
Hi guys,
I got my 16 X5M in early September here in Canada last year, for business reason, I am heading down to Texas son. I will stay in Texas about 2 years . So my questions are:

1. How do I change my speedometer from km to miles? I know this question has been asked many times, but it seems like everyone has a different answer.
2. Will BMW USA honor the 4 years warranty and maintenance?
3.What other things do I need to modify/change enter the US?

Thank you all!
1. Go into your Idrive settings under units you should be able to change it but it obviously won't change the analog speedo it will change the digital.

2. BMW USA should honor the 4 year maintenance however I would contact BMW Canada for the correct answer as BMW NA although its North America is different. Also you might accidentally get lucky when your brakes are ready for service. In Canada they won't change the rotors and pads under warranty/maintenance however in the states they will and if your dealer doesn't realize that its not an American car you might get lucky. This happened to my brother and his M3 when he moved to LA a few years ago and realized after that they weren't supposed to do that under the warranty.

3. You also need to get yourself a tune with catless downpipes and exhaust and then you should be good to go
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 11:35 PM   #3
andrewx
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGM6 View Post
1. Go into your Idrive settings under units you should be able to change it but it obviously won't change the analog speedo it will change the digital.

2. BMW USA should honor the 4 year maintenance however I would contact BMW Canada for the correct answer as BMW NA although its North America is different. Also you might accidentally get lucky when your brakes are ready for service. In Canada they won't change the rotors and pads under warranty/maintenance however in the states they will and if your dealer doesn't realize that its not an American car you might get lucky. This happened to my brother and his M3 when he moved to LA a few years ago and realized after that they weren't supposed to do that under the warranty.

3. You also need to get yourself a tune with catless downpipes and exhaust and then you should be good to go
Thank you so much man!!
I tried to change under iDrive not nothing was really happening, I might have to talk to the dealership or let them do it. I am not sure mine can change the digit tho, because I could tell its a piece of paper-ish thing that shows the kms, on non-M X5s are digital.

Wow I didn't know BMW Canada does not change your pads and stuff, hmm...thats interesting.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 12:25 AM   #4
VGM6
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M & E63 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewx View Post
Thank you so much man!!
I tried to change under iDrive not nothing was really happening, I might have to talk to the dealership or let them do it. I am not sure mine can change the digit tho, because I could tell its a piece of paper-ish thing that shows the kms, on non-M X5s are digital.

Wow I didn't know BMW Canada does not change your pads and stuff, hmm...thats interesting.
Ya what I'm saying is that you won't be able to change your speedo since it's analog. But on your heads up display it should change.

Regarding brakes, I know the rotor they for sure won't change under warranty as the dealers told me this themselves. Pads I'm just assuming wouldn't be covered either since the get done all at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
andrewx
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGM6 View Post
Ya what I'm saying is that you won't be able to change your speedo since it's analog. But on your heads up display it should change.

Regarding brakes, I know the rotor they for sure won't change under warranty as the dealers told me this themselves. Pads I'm just assuming wouldn't be covered either since the get done all at the same time.
I see, thanks a lot man! I will try them out!
Appreciate 0