BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #23
Raikkonen
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Not to rain on your parade but from what I can tell that is pretty high miles on the Benz for your 20 year investment horizon plan, barring some unforeseen event. Said another way, I cannot imagine 40k/50k/60k making a damn bit of difference, it won't have 5k miles on it. I don't see it being worth $100K or anything crazy like that. If you want to drive it and enjoy it that's actually an upside for you, and the value should be relatively stable. When I say "unforeseen event" I mean along the lines of MB and Porsche coming out with another project like that one in like 20 years to rekindle interest in the 500E. Take a look at 2002 values before and after the M235 was launched and it was featured so prominently in the advertising.

Actually think you may have better luck with an E39 M5 TBH.

The downside to the BMW is they made a ton of them (comparatively speaking).

Nothing wrong with either car obviously - but the investing game you're trying to play is not that easy. Best to pick one you'd enjoy and if it goes sideways great, up and that's a bonus.

At least you're not getting in late on the air cooled Porsches or Dinos or anything else that you can think of that has skyrocketed already.

Some of the early Asian stuff may be a smart bet at the moment. 500 miles a year that you plan to drive is not "enjoy it and hope for the best" so if you are looking purely from an investment perspective I'd broaden your search a bit.
You're right, they did and do make a TON of BMW M cars, so you have to find a really unique model for it to have any chance of being a "collectible".

I have to disagree on the 500e comment however, as 40k miles is EXTREMELY low for one of these models...finding one with less, and in perfect condition is nigh on impossible...20 years from now, having one with 50k miles, it will be referred to as a "time capsule"!
Think you missed my point w little bit. 20 years from now 40-60k miles will all be about the same from a value perspective. It's not going to be a car w under 10k or over 100k. Point being you could drive it a bit more and not cost yourself big $$$$$ every time it leaves the garage.
You're right, makes sense!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 05:58 PM   #24
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 GT50014 AW M235i(sold)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
I just read up on the 500e since I hadn't heard of it. It's a pretty special car!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #25
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

OP since you're not interested in that E46 M3 why don't you be a nice guy and give me your contact so I can buy it and bring it over to Canada where it's going to see alot of love

M
      02-20-2017, 02:14 AM   #26
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

500e
Appreciate 0