02-23-2017, 01:48 AM   #1
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

Upgrade options from E92 328i

Current car:

I "side-graded" to this 2012 E92 328i - Msport, nav etc - a couple of years back, from my F30 328i. I loved the F30 but I like the old-school steering so I got this. Its a very nice car. Its 5 years old and nearing 50k miles.

Nothing wrong with the car, its been rock solid reliable and of course I've been proactive with maintenance. I usually switch my cars very often but this one after 2 years still keeps me engaged, its a lot of fun to chuck around. Its even more fun after I put RE11A tires on it.

I just paid it off, and was looking around at my options. The naturally aspirated inline 6 is smooth, quick enough in traffic, throw it into DS and can keep up on the freeway, the steering feel is just.. sex. Accurate, well weighted and has absolutely no artificial feel whatsoever.

Looking for:

Well, like I said I do love this car, would ideally like something with as good road feel and driving pleasure, but also:
  1. A bit faster? I mean this can be quick-ish in traffic if I keep the revs between 2k-3k and in the right gear (its an auto, but DS works or paddles). But maybe time to upgrade to something with more outright performance..
  2. A tad stiffer - the msport suspension on the E92 is.. good, but does have plenty of body roll. My F30 had M Performance suspension and actually felt more flat. Something with a bit less body roll in side-to-side turns would be nice in my next car.
  3. Also have great steering feel. Or at least good steering feel.
  4. Has to have 4 doors this time round. Family (especially elders) don't like getting into my car's backseat.
  5. I am partial to naturally aspirated, relatively powerful cars.

--------------------

Ruled out already:
  • F30. Been there, done that, nice-ish car but.. experienced it already.
  • Another E90. Been there done that, want something else.
  • Audi / Merc - not into them, they are soft expensive cars. Only reason I paid so much for the bimmers is for the driving feel. I am not big on plush interiors. I even like cloth seats .
  • IS350, Chevy SS, Taurus SHO - just not into the looks.
  • 5 series or bigger cars. I do like my friend's 535i, but that's for later in life.
  • Smaller cars / sports cars. Need to have 4 doors and seat 4, its a hard requirement.
  • All front wheel drive cars. Vanity.

--------------------

Options..

I have identified a few potential cars, but feel free to suggest any that are not on this list.

Considered and ruled out:

WRX

I am considering this, but I can't live with it, here's why: every time I get in the car, I will be thinking "not the real thing". I mean, I would feel like I am trying to get into the enthusiast car but with a CVT, it would kinda feel fake if that makes sense? Not sure if I am explaining this well but I just know I won't be happy with it. Besides, I don't like CVTs.

Golf R

I did a test drive but this engine feels very reluctant. I don't know why. When you do flog it, it goes, but you do have to flog it. I felt like my 328i is more eager to go than this car (though obviously not faster).

EVO

Hmm, not sure about owning a Mitsubishi.. I don't feel well about owning a brand that I am not confident will continue to exist in the country. Besides, the interior is abysmal.. I know I said I don't care about interior, but I don't not-care to THIS extent .

Charger SRT / Scat Pack

Drove one, it feels fast, but I am not sure. It feels like the big family sedan it is. I couldn't connect to it. Back to back with the E92, the E92 felt night and day better though slower.

--------------------

Considering:

STI

I did test drive, liked it! The interior isn't great and there is a lot of road noise, but for $30K its a lot of car! Feels much faster than my 328i (not sure how much of it is because of manual shifting, but still). 300HP, AWD, LSD, racecar looks, a different kind of exclusivity ("enthusiast" exclusivity rather than "I can afford a BMW" sort of exclusivity).

But I can't tell how much I would enjoy driving a stick day to day. I used to drive stick way back, I still ride a motorcycle, so I do know how to drive stick. I have no doubt that I can drive it. The question that keeps popping up in my mind is, a few months down the line sitting in traffic, will I keep thinking "man, wish I'd got an auto"?

Infiniti G37 with sport package

I have always liked the G37. A lightly used 2013 / 2014 with hardly any miles on it (say 20k) with sports package would cost me hardly anything more than what the 3 would go for, I think. Maybe a bit more. I have always loved the steering, naturally aspirated V6 and the handling. I *could* fall in love with it but I can't tell if I would go the opposite direction and wish I'd have got something more modern, six months down the line.

(Ruled out the Q40 version because that is non sport package)

Infiniti Q50S (S for Sport)

This is interesting, I find a lot of articles "predicting" that the 2016+ Q50S "will have" hydraulic steering, but I couldn't find any articles conclusively saying that the ones without Direct Adaptive Steering (steer by wire) have it or not. I do know pre-2016 Q50S are still electric despite not being DAS, and the 400hp Red Sport are all steer by wire. In the middle, did any Q50S show up with hydraulic steering? Are they still that way? How to identify a car (online, before test driving) whether it has hydraulic or not, based on VIN or something? Not even Infiniti forums seem to have answers. All people have is "test drive, buy if you like". Like, duh. I am not test driving every single Q50S I come across . I am kinda on the fence with this one, its also not as cheap as G37 but has weird interiors, the whole question about the hydraulic steering, and for some reason the reliability reports are abysmal. I don't know why.

So.. there I stand. If I end up getting an STI and end up hating/loving it, once I am over the boy racer looks and being back to the feel of shifting?

Or if I end up with a 4 year old G37, will I end up with "yeah, my kinda car" and stay that way for a few years, or end up with "damn, I paid 20k for a car that feels this old!"?

Thoughts?
      02-23-2017, 02:07 AM   #2
M47
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328 xDrive

Why would you even consider a wrx with cvt? My choice is get a manual wrx, tune it and call it a day. Its stays flat when cornering (hi speed).
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 02:51 AM   #3
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M47 View Post
Why would you even consider a wrx with cvt? My choice is get a manual wrx, tune it and call it a day. Its stays flat when cornering (hi speed).
If I was doing that I would just get an STI instead?..
      02-23-2017, 02:54 AM   #4
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Getting a wrx in auto is like a person voluntarily getting rid of a limb. It's a good choice for what you're looking for but don't go full retard and get an auto in that.

Might wanna consider a focus ST or RS if your budget fits and you're looking for new. For used, I'd go with an even older car like E46 or even E36 M3. If you only need two seats, maybe a Cayman or a Z4 M coupe. Need five? E39 M5. And saving the best for last...1M.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 03:57 AM   #5
JAK
Rep
Drives: Space Grey M3

Would you consider an ATSv? Or even the last gen CTSv? I know you mentioned NA but that's hard to find with 4 doors.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 05:59 AM   #6
bvanlieu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer View Post
Not at all. They are quite different cars. STi has the intelligent diff but still uses the old EJ engine. The new WRX's power delivery is very different in comparison, arguably far more streetable with better MPG for commuting and such.

CVT in the WRX...epic fail

- b
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 07:23 AM   #7
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

the vq engine in rhe g37 is a rough unlovable one...you will miss the silky smoorh n52 in your e92 if you go that direction...trust me

the new q50s engine is supposed to be silky smooth
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 09:28 AM   #8
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I'd avoid boy racer at your age, TBH your answer is Caddy, it really is perfect for what you want.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 09:59 AM   #9
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
the vq engine in rhe g37 is a rough unlovable one...you will miss the silky smoorh n52 in your e92 if you go that direction...trust me

how so? The vq37vhr is a very linear power plant just like the M3 S65 but with a 7500 rpm redline. The motor is very smooth and very reliable. Have you owned one?

The new FI VR engines have more power but are not as smooth as the older VQ
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 10:33 AM   #10
M47
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer View Post
No. WRX has the new engine, thus more power and better mpg than the prevois engine. The WRX is more than enough for a daily.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #11
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
Quote:

how so? The vq37vhr is a very linear power plant just like the M3 S65 but with a 7500 rpm redline. The motor is very smooth and very reliable. Have you owned one?

You may be the first person to call that motor smooth or compare it to an M motor of any sort.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 10:41 AM   #12
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
You may be the first person to call that motor smooth or compare it to an M motor of any sort.
My point was they have a lot of similar traits for N/A. Both linear, both have high redlines. Power curves are similar. (11.0.1 vs 12.0.1 compression) Most people have the awful 7AT which makes it very rough.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #13
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

i found the Nissan V6 rough as guts.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #14
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:
My point was they have a lot of similar traits for N/A. Both linear, both have high redlines. Power curves are similar. (11.0.1 vs 12.0.1 compression) Most people have the awful 7AT which makes it very rough.
Comparing any V6 to any I6 is a tough starting point. A few random similar stats can't make up for a large displacement, unbalanced motor.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 11:15 AM   #15
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

unrelated and probably not contributing to your situation, but I have slowly started liking the new mustangs. White GT, performance package, 6MT, exhaust of choice. I have never owned a V8 vehicle besides my work truck, so I am slowly inching towards the mustang. It would not be my DD as I have the truck for that.

Yes, it is not the night/day different from my E92, but I have that craving for a big V8 and the mustang seems to be the best bang for the buck IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 11:24 AM   #16
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Comparing any V6 to any I6 is a tough starting point. A few random similar stats can't make up for a large displacement, unbalanced motor.
S65 is a i6?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 11:28 AM   #17
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

GS 350 F-Sport all day.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 11:32 AM   #18
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
S65 is a i6?
E92 N52 is. I think that's what we're referring to.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 11:43 AM   #19
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:

i had a 2003 350z and disliked taking it above 3500 rpm. it hurt my ears! car and driver compared it to the sound of a coffee grinder

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 11:54 AM   #20
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Focus RS?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #21
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

E90 M3 fits your bill perfectly, more power and suspension is tighter.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 12:03 PM   #22
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i had a 2003 350z and disliked taking it above 3500 rpm. it hurt my ears! car and driver compared it to the sound of a coffee grinder

I hear ya valid points. The 1st gen vq35de is very unrefined. They improved a lot on the later gen vhr's.
Appreciate 0