BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-21-2023, 05:26 PM   #1
Matt2408
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Garage List
Buzzing on top of engine, rattle in the front

So I'm new to the n55 platform as I just got the x5 last month. Today after parking home I noticed a sound coming from the engine while I had the door open I went and popped the hood. From the top of the ending, around the airbox/alternator area there's a buzzing sound. But before I popped the hood I head a "rattle" by the front grille. If I put my ear up against it it sounds like something was hitting the fan blades, don't know how else to describe it, but it sounds something like that. Other than that it sounds normal, just ticking under the engine cover. Drives fine, accelerates normal, revs good when parked. Used bimmerlink and there were no permanent errors on "motor electronics". I pulled the info memory but mostly just "discharging" errors. Probably because the previous owner replaced the alternator, no more than 25k miles ago. I'll include the info memory that I pulled and a video of how it sounds. Thanks for any help.

https://youtube.com/shorts/N-LnSVkwuTY

Attachment 3210563
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 05:53 PM   #2
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Buzzing could be electric water pump?.

I get a ticking/rattle/squeak from the from of my engine also. I replaced drive belt, tensioner and pulleys but it's still there. I've since given up on finding it as I have no intention of tearing into anything.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 06:03 PM   #3
Matt2408
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascotgrun View Post
Buzzing could be electric water pump?.

I get a ticking/rattle/squeak from the from of my engine also. I replaced drive belt, tensioner and pulleys but it's still there. I've since given up on finding it as I have no intention of tearing into anything.
Well that's good to hear I guess. I'm new to the n55 only had a n52 like 5-6 years ago, wasn't sure. I guess it kind of goes away, the buzzing, when I rev it. Could it somehow be the alternator.

Also sorry about the dirty engine. Haven't gotten around to cleaning it since getting the car.
Appreciate 0