BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-23-2014, 05:50 AM   #45
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5 M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
I will answer this based on why I chose the RC and will stick with it for the reasons below:

1. I like being able to tweak performance by choosing different combinations.
2. RC warrants engines using their chips in 4 European countries, just like Dinan here, which counts for something to me.
3. I really liked RC's customer service and their willingness to answer all my questions about the tune and their strategy. Finding a good distributor to help with problems is very important and Ben (r33) might have an edge here.
4. The RC comes with a "dummy plug" you can use in the event you have a problem with the chip. It takes less than 30 seconds to plug in the dummy plug (replacing the chip) and you are back to bone stock without having to uninstall anything. You can then make it home or diagnose the problem.

With all this being said, the Burger is plug and play. It's value statement is that it's simple, it piggy-back's the stock tune strategy and you can make simple adjustments if you like. Open the box, plug it in, and you have more power.

As for which delivers more horsepower, I don't know as this is nearly irrelevant in a diesel. Torque is key - period. If you want proof, look at 16 liter CAT diesel that produces 450 HP versus my 4.6L twin turbo 550i I had. They are very close in horsepower, but the 550i couldn't pull 80,000 lbs down the road like the CAT. Not sure it could even get it rolling. It's also why Audi diesels won so many LeMans 24 hour races. Anyway, my point is, the RC lets you play with fuel timing and that directly affects torque and where in the power range it's applied. I have my settings where I get great torque from idle up to about 3000 rpm. This is where I do 99.9% of my driving. Since horsepower is defined as work done over time, the Burger might actually produce more horsepower. For drivability, they are both very good. For sport driving, the RC has the edge.
thanks @42pilot
      12-06-2014, 12:10 AM   #46
Bo2Shelby
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Any long term issues and longevity of chip

Hi - I'm wondering if there is any long term negative impact that occurs with the engine from using a chip? I plan on keeping the my X5d at least 5 or 6 years. Also, how long do chips typically last? I'm new to this stuff but am intrigued by what I've read so far. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #47
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo2Shelby View Post
Hi - I'm wondering if there is any long term negative impact that occurs with the engine from using a chip? I plan on keeping the my X5d at least 5 or 6 years. Also, how long do chips typically last? I'm new to this stuff but am intrigued by what I've read so far. Thanks in advance!
Normally, I would respond by saying, you increase performance past its design limits, you must expect reduced engine life - period. In this case, it's a bit different I believe. The US version of the 35d was dumbed down to pass EPA limits. The same exact engine with higher HP/Torque comes off the assembly line in South Carolina, but the software is different. This is called platform-sharing manufacturing whereby you make the same exact component for different models/applicatons. It's much cheaper to change software vs. components - to a degree. In other words, don't look for the 4.6L in the 5.0 to be the same motor in the M series. The M is a far superior engine in terms of components and design.

For your info, I installed the Dinan software in my 550i and drove it over a weekend. It was a tune to bring the engine up to M performance standards. That car would not have made it past 75,000 - 100,000 miles and I removed the software on Monday. I don't care what Dinan says. You can't have that power at your right foot and not nail it and nail it often, but the car was not designed to take it. I actually bent a suspension part on my 550 that weekend, which explains why Dinan sells that part as an upgrade.

Anyway, to answer your question, I believe the chip brings the engine up to European standards, but you can also dial back if you're not comfortable with the power or where it's delivered. For example, I will dial mine back for snow (if it snows here in GA) because it will be a handful on slippery roads the way the power is applied to the road.

In addition, the RC can be set to apply torque and HP at various points in the RPM range.

I too paid for my car and plan on keeping it as long as you. I have an 05 Powerstroke diesel that's chipped and has been for 6 years. It's running just fine because I chose a tune that improved throttle response and very low-end torque to pull a 4-horse trailer. Also, I will never use the highest level tune for this engine since it came from the factory already tuned within its design limits, and I will monitor its parameters (oil temp, coolant temp, EGT, fuel pressure, tranny temp, air intake temp) each time I pull a heavy trailer (12,000 lbs and up) to make sure I am not abusing the motor. But again, it's running perfectly and I plan to keep it until the wheels fall off.

The key with my Powerstroke, SL550 and the X5 is to keep it well maintained and use quality components in the process. With everything I own, I change the oil every 5,000 miles , the fuel filters every 50,000 miles (Powerstroke every 10,000), the air intake filters every 10,000 miles, the tranny fluid every 30,000 miles, differential fluid every 50,000 miles, coolant every 50,000 miles and you get the picture. By keeping my receipts, I also get above normal resale value.

And chips don't go bad if they're mounted correctly, meaning away from moisture and heat, and the wire routing is away from heat, pinch-points and not stretched at the connectors. I think the RC is warranted if installed correctly.

Install the chip, respect the car and the maintenance schedule, and I think you'll be happy...
      12-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #48
Bo2Shelby
United_States
Rep

That helps a lot!

Hey, thanks for the thoughtful and detailed response I really appreciate it!! I'll pick up the truck on Monday and probably run with it as is for a couple weeks before getting and installing the RC. I'll set it at the setting that many others have recommended (E2) if I'm recalling it correctly. Thanks again for the guidance with this.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 03:00 PM   #49
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Hey, thanks for the thoughtful and detailed response I really appreciate it!! I'll pick up the truck on Monday and probably run with it as is for a couple weeks before getting and installing the RC. I'll set it at the setting that many others have recommended (E2) if I'm recalling it correctly. Thanks again for the guidance with this.
The factory settings are S1=0 S2=E. Change S1=2 and leave S2=E.
      12-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #50
Bo2Shelby
United_States
Rep

Thanks Opasha! It sounds very straight forward but I'll ask more questions if needed once I get to installing it. I continue to be amazed at the great information available on this site especially for those of us who need it to be communicated in layman's terms.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 03:37 PM   #51
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Thanks Opasha! It sounds very straight forward but I'll ask more questions if needed once I get to installing it. I continue to be amazed at the great information available on this site especially for those of us who need it to be communicated in layman's terms.
Anytime, and yes this forum and its members are fantastic .
      12-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #52
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

42pilot, I am not surprised to your findings as Terry from BMS openly stated his diesel chip does NOT support F chassis cars.
I am looking into possibly adding a powerstroke to my stable. Any words of advice on what to look for and what years are more reliable than others?
      01-16-2015, 04:09 PM   #53
gatordent
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racechip-usa-Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
I will answer this based on why I chose the RC and will stick with it for the reasons below:

1. I like being able to tweak performance by choosing different combinations.
2. RC warrants engines using their chips in 4 European countries, just like Dinan here, which counts for something to me.
3. I really liked RC's customer service and their willingness to answer all my questions about the tune and their strategy. Finding a good distributor to help with problems is very important and Ben (r33) might have an edge here.
4. The RC comes with a "dummy plug" you can use in the event you have a problem with the chip. It takes less than 30 seconds to plug in the dummy plug (replacing the chip) and you are back to bone stock without having to uninstall anything. You can then make it home or diagnose the problem.
Thanks for the nice summary. Just one more item to add.
The RC Ultimate has a USB port. We do offer a migration kit for purchase that allows for migrating your module to a new vehicle. If you switch vehicles more frequently that can become a handy product feature.
Hi peter
How often does RC release updates to the chips firmware?
Appreciate 1