BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

01-28-2020, 09:47 PM   #23
NERO X
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroStream6 View Post
Cheaper alternative for the smaller hose here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-BMW-Cra...f-6d699a064666

For the larger hose, get some heater hose or vacuum hose with the correct diameter and cut to length and use hose clamps. I did these two methods for mine and so far, so good.

FWIW I'd investigate and get the larger hose and the smaller hose above before you start working so you're prepared. You'll most likely break both when you repair the other.
Thanks for the advise.

My friendly neighborhood dealer said BMW won't cover my MY2014(out of warranty) hoses, but would give me a 30% discount and only charge me $950! LOL. Got love the Bimmer service costs. Also quoted 5.5 hrs. LOL to that too! Guess I'll be doing it myself.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2020, 10:53 PM   #24
~ViO~
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2015 X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NERO X View Post
Thanks for the advise.

My friendly neighborhood dealer said BMW won't cover my MY2014(out of warranty) hoses, but would give me a 30% discount and only charge me $950! LOL. Got love the Bimmer service costs. Also quoted 5.5 hrs. LOL to that too! Guess I'll be doing it myself.
I would call BMW of North America.. They have helped out other forum members when the dealership tries to stonewall warranty work.. This is a legit extended warranty issued by BMW and good for 10 years or 120miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 06:05 AM   #25
HydroStream6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ViO~ View Post
I would call BMW of North America.. They have helped out other forum members when the dealership tries to stonewall warranty work.. This is a legit extended warranty issued by BMW and good for 10 years or 120miles.
I called BOA as well and they told me to pound sand. Tried a couple different times as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 09:53 AM   #26
~ViO~
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2015 X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroStream6 View Post
I called BOA as well and they told me to pound sand. Tried a couple different times as well.
Really, and what was their excuse? Did your build date not fall within what was listed on the 10-year extended warranty? Just so i understand.... BMW issues a 10-year extended warranty and you meet all the criteria.... And they tell you to pound sand. . I would file a complaint.

*I would print the following and take it to the dealership;

https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb...0B01%2012%2018

Last edited by ~ViO~; 01-29-2020 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 10:00 AM   #27
HydroStream6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i M-Sport

They said my vehicle was not built on a production line that was affected. They said even though it was the same vehicle model and same part number for the hoses, not all production lines were covered. Total bs of course, but it is what it is. I fixed it for less than $50 myself, and my time arguing with them is worth more to me than that.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 07:57 PM   #28
NERO X
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 50i

I also gave up on BOA; they told me that they would back whatever the dealer told me. Dealer wanted $130 to diagnose the broken hoses, but did give me a $1300 orig. quote reduced to $950 discounted rate for both hoses. Fixed them both myself for $300. Easy fix.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 02:51 PM   #29
Gkacmaz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i

Guys my car started having subtle vibrations it's at 70k right now and I ordered plugs and coil packs from FCP Euro, while attempting to to change them I noticed the connecting hose for the crank case assembly is broken as well (car was also having like a whistle noise at idle). I bought a connecting hose and installed it with the new Coil packs and the plugs. The car still had a check engine light and rougher idle. Can a faulty crank case assembly cause this issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 07:23 PM   #30
AychShake
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition

Hi guys, long shot here but does anyone know if there is a similar warranty in Australia? I haven't been able to find a bulletin online and the dealerships don't even know what a crankcase ventilation line is (I kid you not).
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 03:51 PM   #31
Stuka Mensch
Registered
Rep
Drives: F15 2015 50i, 1971 Mustang

Thank you so much for this post my warranty was only going to cover the MAF sensors that got ruined by these leaking and I found this post and the dealership took responsibility and said they're covering it all.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:36 AM   #32
kiel9
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2005 X5 4.4i, 2014 X5 50i

This write up was so helpful replacing the vent pipe in my 2014 50i X5.

I’d just like to add that a few of the fasteners were different than in the photos you showed. The screws shown in the 2nd photo were actually two torx screws and the one on the right was an external torx. For that one, I didn’t have the proper socket, but a regular 6mm (I think) socket did the trick. Also, that external torx couldn’t be removed on my car without first taking off a nearby electrical clip. I think the hardest part of the whole job was getting that clip off. It took me a while to figure out how to lever out the blue tab so it could be removed.

Also, the dealer wanted $188 for the vent pipe, so I chose this $50 version I found on Amazon. It clipped in great and seems to be working fine.

Oh, and my car didn’t qualify for the free fix from the dealer. I think that only applies to a small run of vehicles from a specific production line. It’s still worth a call to your dealer to see if yours does qualify though, they can look it up in 2 minutes.

Thx again for the write up.

Motiv8 Crankcase PCV Breather Hose Connecting Line for 2013-2018 BMW X5 X6 for 4.4L Engine - Crank Case Ventilation PCV Valve Emission Hose | 11158635842, 11157646724, 11158647298, EMH290 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086H4H89M...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 04:35 PM   #33
FirstBMWLA
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Anyone know if this applies to S63 as well?
I have a 2016 X5M. Thinking may have a leak here.
Does this leak trip 20E120 code "pcv vent faulty or disconnected"?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 04:14 PM   #34
MY15.50i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
Note (07/04/2019):
Went to dealer for service yesterday, found this little comment:

So there you have it, if you are within 10 years or 120,000 mi go to the dealer for a replacement. Don’t waste your hard earned monies doing this DIY.

F15 N63TU Crankcase Ventilation Assembly Replacement Guide

After reading about the problem with our ventilation hoses and mine had a small crack, I decided to replace mine and document the process. There is a DIY - 50i Spark Plugs guide by Maverik259 that you may want to follow if you wish to do your spark plugs service as well since both involve removing common parts.

I created this one to address some issues I encountered and to help future DIY fixers.

If you wish to only fix the commonly broken connection hose, stop at step #4.

Parts needed:
11-15-8-647-962 "Vent Pipe" (It's a big contraption with valves and everything)
11-15-8-647-298 "Connecting Line" (The part that commonly breaks first)

Tools needed:
3/8" Socket wrench
Torx T30 socket
8mm Hex Socket
Short socket wrench extension
Needlenose pliers

Safely precautions:
Safety glasses
Work gloves
Adequate lighting

Warning:
Because you are working inside the engine bay please ensure that your engine block is cooled down. Because many of the plastic parts used by BMW have become brittle (the reason we are replacing these hoses), it is very likely for the parts to break into small sharp pieces during removal process therefore use of eye protection and gloves are highly suggested.

Note:
In all directions of left and right are relative to you as you work from front of the car facing the engine. All screws are Torx T30 except when indicated.

Step 1:
Remove the rear engine cover.

Step 2:
First we start with the commonly broken connecting hose. As the left side expansion tank is covering the connecting hose plug, you need to move it out of the way. Start with left side and remove the screws shown. After the hex screw is removed you can lift up the expansion tank and move it out of the way as its hoses are all flexible.

Step 3:
Remove remaining screw holding the expansion tank bracket and lift the expansion tank adapter out of the way. You should now be able to see the connecting hose to the engine.

Step 4:
Follow this hose to see the engine side. The hose is held to the engine with two clips and looks the same on both ends. According to the design of the connector you are suppose to depress the two sides that are grooved to force the clips to move away so you can pull the connector off. I have found this is impossible because (1) the plastic is brittle (2) there isn’t much room to work with. For optional instruction, please go to Step X below.

Step 5:
Now we work on the ventilation valve assembly.

Step 6:
We now go the right side of the engine. We start by removing the screws.

Step 7:
To remove the valve assembly, first lift up the wire holder assembly and rotate the right side valve clock-wise approximately 30º; then lift up to remove. It is keyed so you need to rotate it and the holder is in the way. It will be very easy to remove when the key is in the notch in the engine. Do not forcibly remove; you do not want to try to retrieve broken plastic in your engine.

Step 8:
On the left side the steps are the same, except you need to rotate the connector approximately 30º counter-clockwise before you can pull the connector out.

Step 9:
Remove the connectors to the intake hoses. These are the same connectors as the connecting hose just bigger in size.

Step 10:
You have now removed the valve assembly and ready to installation of the replacement part. Follow this guide in the reverse.

Step X:
If you cannot remove these types of connector locks, you may need to employ the destructive method. WARNING: You cannot reuse the connector if you do this.

Before:

After:

Almost done replacing mine but hit a snag while connecting the new assembly to the intake hoses. The connectors won't snap into place no matter how hard I try to push. Any ideas?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 08:23 PM   #35
MY15.50i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY15.50i View Post
Almost done replacing mine but hit a snag while connecting the new assembly to the intake hoses. The connectors won't snap into place no matter how hard I try to push. Any ideas?
Turns out there's so much you can push them in and they just won't snap in place. I had to hammer the clips with a mallet to get them past the plastic notch to secure them. Drove until engine reached operating temperature and didn't experience any issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 11:57 AM   #36
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
Note (07/04/2019):
Went to dealer for service yesterday, found this little comment:
Quote:
SI B01 12 18 (DC 11 15 90 01 00) FOR THIS VEHICLE, THE ENGINE CRANKCASE VENTILATION LINES WARRANTY FOR DEFECTS IN MATERIALS OR WORKMANSHIP HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO 10 YEARS/120,000 MILE AS DETERMINED FROM ORIGINAL IN-SERVICE DATE.
So there you have it, if you are within 10 years or 120,000 mi go to the dealer for a replacement. Don't waste your hard earned monies doing this DIY.

[SIZE="4"]F15 N63TU Crankcase Ventilation Assembly Replacement Guide[/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"]
After reading about the problem with our ventilation hoses and mine had a small crack, I decided to replace mine and document the process. There is a DIY - 50i Spark Plugs guide by Maverik259 that you may want to follow if you wish to do your spark plugs service as well since both involve removing common parts.

I created this one to address some issues I encountered and to help future DIY fixers.

If you wish to only fix the commonly broken connection hose, stop at step #4.

Parts needed:
11-15-8-647-962 "Vent Pipe" (It's a big contraption with valves and everything)
11-15-8-647-298 "Connecting Line" (The part that commonly breaks first)

Tools needed:
3/8" Socket wrench
Torx T30 socket
8mm Hex Socket
Short socket wrench extension
Needlenose pliers

Safely precautions:
Safety glasses
Work gloves
Adequate lighting

Warning:
Because you are working inside the engine bay please ensure that your engine block is cooled down. Because many of the plastic parts used by BMW have become brittle (the reason we are replacing these hoses), it is very likely for the parts to break into small sharp pieces during removal process therefore use of eye protection and gloves are highly suggested.

Note:
In all directions of left and right are relative to you as you work from front of the car facing the engine. All screws are Torx T30 except when indicated.

Step 1:
Remove the rear engine cover.

Step 2:
First we start with the commonly broken connecting hose. As the left side expansion tank is covering the connecting hose plug, you need to move it out of the way. Start with left side and remove the screws shown. After the hex screw is removed you can lift up the expansion tank and move it out of the way as its hoses are all flexible.

Step 3:
Remove remaining screw holding the expansion tank bracket and lift the expansion tank adapter out of the way. You should now be able to see the connecting hose to the engine.

Step 4:
Follow this hose to see the engine side. The hose is held to the engine with two clips and looks the same on both ends. According to the design of the connector you are suppose to depress the two sides that are grooved to force the clips to move away so you can pull the connector off. I have found this is impossible because (1) the plastic is brittle (2) there isn't much room to work with. For optional instruction, please go to Step X below.

Step 5:
Now we work on the ventilation valve assembly.

Step 6:
We now go the right side of the engine. We start by removing the screws.

Step 7:
To remove the valve assembly, first lift up the wire holder assembly and rotate the right side valve clock-wise approximately 30º; then lift up to remove. It is keyed so you need to rotate it and the holder is in the way. It will be very easy to remove when the key is in the notch in the engine. Do not forcibly remove; you do not want to try to retrieve broken plastic in your engine.

Step 8:
On the left side the steps are the same, except you need to rotate the connector approximately 30º counter-clockwise before you can pull the connector out.

Step 9:
Remove the connectors to the intake hoses. These are the same connectors as the connecting hose just bigger in size.

Step 10:
You have now removed the valve assembly and ready to installation of the replacement part. Follow this guide in the reverse.

Step X:
If you cannot remove these types of connector locks, you may need to employ the destructive method. WARNING: You cannot reuse the connector if you do this.

Before:

After:

[/SIZE]
I don't see a leak though? Where does it usually leak to create the burning oil odor?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 11:23 PM   #37
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Yep this the same for the S63, here is mine done.

The valve side is keyed, its a twist to unlock and a twist to lock. Clockwise to unlock from valve cover, and counter to lock back in. When you insert the PCV into the valve cover, it needs to sit flush prior to you turning. So the pipe need to be 90° to the valve cover, otherwise it wont go in correctly.

Notice the tabs on the pipe, and the valve cover. Also see the connector side, for what the clips look like.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-04-2023, 05:29 PM   #38
d_3vans
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw_550

why can't I see pictures
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 01:47 PM   #39
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

alphaod - the pics are no longer available; any chance you can reupload them?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 03:00 PM   #40
ArthurMorgan
Right to Repair Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 M

One thing I would add to this write-up: be extremely careful when you remove and re-install the quick connect where it snaps onto the intake tube. That elbow is VERY poorly attached to the rest of the intake tube and it can very easily snap off. Replacing that intake tube is balls, so it's better to just not break it in the first place.

The write-up mentions "lifting up" the wire guide that runs on top of the engine. At least on my 2017 S63 (which do have different CCV tubes than the N63), that is not at all possible. You must remove the screws and push the wire guide back and out of the way.

Really easy job, just made annoying by BMW's typical paper mache underhood plastic. I do agree that this is a great time to change the plugs because you're down in the same area anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 08:12 AM   #41
Dan_Q
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F15 X5 50i

Garage List
2018 M3  [9.50]
2015 X5 xDrive50i  [10.00]
Question for those of you who've done this. I'm about to do plugs and coils on my '15 50i with 72k miles. I don't have any faults that would indicate I've got this issue, but it sounds like it may be wise to replace these preventatively at the same time. Also possible I'll break them in the process of doing the plugs & coils if they aren't broken already. GetBMWparts lists the pair of these at ~$380.
  • Do the plugs & coils and replace these at the same time myself?
  • Do the plugs and coils and if the CCV breaks in the process, bring it to the dealer for replacement?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 12:44 PM   #42
mertK
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i

Hi,

New here. Great post! Is there any way to recover the images to the post?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 06:57 PM   #43
Bobby_Drake
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
Yep this the same for the S63, here is mine done.

The valve side is keyed, its a twist to unlock and a twist to lock. Clockwise to unlock from valve cover, and counter to lock back in. When you insert the PCV into the valve cover, it needs to sit flush prior to you turning. So the pipe need to be 90° to the valve cover, otherwise it wont go in correctly.

Notice the tabs on the pipe, and the valve cover. Also see the connector side, for what the clips look like.
Do you have the part # for the F85 X5M?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 11:38 AM   #44
zeroping
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M (F85)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Drake View Post
Do you have the part # for the F85 X5M?
BMW-11157848340 and BMW-11157848341
Appreciate 1