BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

09-09-2023, 04:33 AM   #1
Shorty1608
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RB F15

Hi guys!

My pop up wind deflector was broken on my x5 when I bought it (snapped arms in the common place)

I bought a new one and installed it, it operates as normal where it half pops up when you open the roof and then fully opens when you set off driving.

My issue is that when it opens fully (the mechanism slides forward to allow it to fully pop up) it goes too high for the mechanism to catch it again on its return to pull it down as the roof is shutting,
I've attached some pictures of what I mean, I basically need to know if I'm missing a part off the roof mechanism or I've been sent the wrong diffuser?

See pictures, any help would be appreciated thank you!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 01:15 AM   #2
MW50i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 xDrive50i

I remember I snapped mine off doing something up there. Had to be replaced and put in a specific way when reinstalling. I saw it on YouTube and that helped
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 02:04 PM   #3
Shorty1608
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW50i View Post
I remember I snapped mine off doing something up there. Had to be replaced and put in a specific way when reinstalling. I saw it on YouTube and that helped
Hi, thanks for the reply, any chance you can find the YouTube video? I’ve no idea why it doesn’t work as it should

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 03:01 PM   #4
Shorty1608
First Lieutenant
Rep

Bumping this thread to see if anyone can help ?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 09:45 PM   #5
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
I replaced mine and it’s a pain because the plastic holder (red arrow) is hard to push, spring loaded. Pretty much have to push your deflector down all the way, then take that spring loaded side plastic holder and push it forward (toward the front of vehicle). That’ll give you the clearance to move the deflector all the way up (side tabs of deflector) and remove it. You’ll see, it’s freaking tough!

The front of the deflector is held by metal clips that can easily be removed. When you remove your old one you will probably see rust in there because it’s a water channel and those metal clips are always getting wet when it rains.

“Way to go BMW!”

I used my thumbs and yeah, it’s no joke! I don’t recommend using tools as you can potentially break this holder and then you’ll have bigger problem! 😵. I did it by myself, but if you have a friend then it should be easier!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 03:37 PM   #6
Shorty1608
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBBVTMxX View Post
I replaced mine and it’s a pain because the plastic holder (red arrow) is hard to push, spring loaded. Pretty much have to push your deflector down all the way, then take that spring loaded side plastic holder and push it forward (toward the front of vehicle). That’ll give you the clearance to move the deflector all the way up (side tabs of deflector) and remove it. You’ll see, it’s freaking tough!

The front of the deflector is held by metal clips that can easily be removed. When you remove your old one you will probably see rust in there because it’s a water channel and those metal clips are always getting wet when it rains.

“Way to go BMW!”

I used my thumbs and yeah, it’s no joke! I don’t recommend using tools as you can potentially break this holder and then you’ll have bigger problem! 😵. I did it by myself, but if you have a friend then it should be easier!
Hi!

Thanks for the reply, and be already replaced the diffuser the pictures are of my new one installed, the issue is when you open the roof that awkward spring loaded ramp thing you’ve put the red arrow on moves forward to allow the deflector to lift up, the deflector goes too high so then on its return it can’t bring it back down.

Does that make sense?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 03:41 PM   #7
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty1608 View Post
Hi!

Thanks for the reply, and be already replaced the diffuser the pictures are of my new one installed, the issue is when you open the roof that awkward spring loaded ramp thing you’ve put the red arrow on moves forward to allow the deflector to lift up, the deflector goes too high so then on its return it can’t bring it back down.

Does that make sense?

Thanks!
No, it doesn’t not make sense (that it’s doing that. That sounds like those Ramp
Brackets might be broken. The tabs of your windscreen remain inside if I’m not mistaken when you fully open your sunroof.

I’ll open mine and a few and send a picture. But yeah, it shouldn’t be doing that.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 01:10 AM   #8
Shorty1608
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No, it doesn’t not make sense (that it’s doing that. That sounds like those Ramp
Brackets might be broken. The tabs of your windscreen remain inside if I’m not mistaken when you fully open your sunroof.

I’ll open mine and a few and send a picture. But yeah, it shouldn’t be doing that.
Yes I’d appreciate that thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 09:24 AM   #9
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty1608 View Post
Yes I’d appreciate that thank you!
So this is how mine looks. The tabs for the deflector are on both sides of its frame, and need to be placed inside that slider part (near the red arrow). Did you install yours correctly?

As long as you get the tabs inside that slider, the slider will do the rest.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 09:07 AM   #10
Shorty1608
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So this is how mine looks. The tabs for the deflector are on both sides of its frame, and need to be placed inside that slider part (near the red arrow). Did you install yours correctly?

As long as you get the tabs inside that slider, the slider will do the rest.
Hi mate,

Sorry I didn’t see your last response!

Yes mine looks the same as yours when it opens but then when you start to drive / move the car the sliders slide forward more to open the deflector fully and that’s when it pops out, could you video yours as you set off if that’s possible? You only have to move the car a yard or two

Thanks again for the help!
Appreciate 0