BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-25-2023, 05:54 PM   #1
BlkssNY
Rep
Drives: 2015 Xdrive50

2014 X5 F15 not starting

Merry Christmas to me LOL.
I started the car yesterday to do some last minute shopping and it gave me a hard start but drove fine. Dropped the wife off and stayed in the car cuz I was afraid to shut it off. Made it home and shut the car off and it wouldn’t restart.
Did a check of the car battery and it was at 11.7v. Got a ride to the parts store, picked up a new battery and installed it. Voltage at 12.7v. Also changed the batteries in both remotes out of an abundance of caution and now the car won’t start.
Both remotes open and close the car doors and radio comes on but car just won’t start. It’s like the car doesn’t recognize the FOBs anymore. When I put my foot on the brake pedal it’s hard like the car battery is still dead but the voltage is good. Tried putting the FOBs up to the steering column and still nothing. I had to disconnect the battery because it sounds like the fuel pump kept running.
Any suggestions? I don’t know what it can be.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 12:40 AM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Did you code/register new battery? If you put your keyfob to the steering column, does it start then?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 12:56 AM   #3
BlkssNY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Did you code/register new battery? If you put your keyfob to the steering column, does it start then?
Did not register the new battery and putting the fob next to the column doesn’t work. How do I register the battery?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 11:05 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

What type and size battery did you install? Was it a H8/49 class size battery?

To register the battery, you need a tool or software, or an app that says that it can register a BMW battery.

For example, if you have the Bimmerlink app…you connect it to the OBD II port and open the app, then select 12v battery, then press the REGISTER NEW BATTERY tab at the bottom of the page. The app will then register the battery and update the mileage information that the last battery was registered.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 06:33 AM   #5
BlkssNY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
What type and size battery did you install? Was it a H8/49 class size battery?

To register the battery, you need a tool or software, or an app that says that it can register a BMW battery.

For example, if you have the Bimmerlink app…you connect it to the OBD II port and open the app, then select 12v battery, then press the REGISTER NEW BATTERY tab at the bottom of the page. The app will then register the battery and update the mileage information that the last battery was registered.
Thank you. I’ll work on it today 👍🏼
Appreciate 0