BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-29-2023, 03:49 PM   #1
Tyler James Inc
Rep
Drives: [Past]07 6mt 335i, 10 6mt 328i

Well, maybe.

I’ve researched the SCR system quite a bit, and it seems it’s a super complicated/finicky system. As in, the tests and calibrations need to be done just right, and you can easily chase your tail trying to nail down the root cause of some of the emissions-related issues.

70k miles on the car, and we got a “incorrect fluid, xxx miles till no restart” message on a road trip a few months ago. Just kept driving, it went away, and haven’t seen it again since. We did, however, have a weird “performance” code come up a few weeks back, and I found it was also related to the def system. Cleared it, and it hasn’t come back yet.

Took it to the dealer for an oil change(only because we have free oil changes from the PO still), and I just had them do a “drain and fill” of the DEF fluid while it was there. I didn’t mention anything about any previous codes.

A couple hundred miles since we got it back from the oil/def change, the “incorrect fluid- no restart in 200 miles” message came up. I took the opportunity to call the dealer and say “hey, what’s going on here? Did you guys use the wrong fluid?! Did you even flush it like you said you did?”

Took the car in this morning, and a couple hours later they got back to me saying it needs a front NOX @ $1100, and labor/install/programming is another $940.

First of all, that seems steep. Especially since the NOX MSRP is like $790. But- second- I read somewhere that you should really replace both at the same time; that they use each other as reference, so one old and one new can cause issues.

Looking for input on the quote, as well as how much confidence I can have that- if I spend fvcking $2k to replace a damn sensor- my issue will actually be resolved.

Thank you!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 04:14 PM   #2
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

You may want to show them this:

N47/N57T NOX SENSORS BEFORE/AFTER TH

In short you should be covered by a 10yr/120K mile extended warranty.

Appreciate 1
      12-30-2023, 07:23 PM   #3
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
You may want to show them this:

N47/N57T NOX SENSORS BEFORE/AFTER TH

In short you should be covered by a 10yr/120K mile extended warranty.
^ What he said.

Had both our NOX sensors replaced under the extended emissions warranty. Also had our DPF sensor replaced under same.
Appreciate 0