BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-08-2020, 12:40 PM   #1
Jebb846
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 x5

Apple CarPlay Issue

Hello all,

Sorry if this has already been asked. I did a couple searches but didn’t come across the issue I’m experiencing. I have a 2018 x5 with idrive version NBTevo_V and Apple CarPlay enabled. It was updated at the dealership from version M so that I could add full screen CarPlay which I added from a user on the forum. Before the update I did not experience this issue. My problem is when I turn on the car, CarPlay will automatically connect but I can’t get the CarPlay operating system to pop up on the screen by selecting CarPlay within idrive. Music will play and if pick a destination in Apple Maps from my phone I will get turn by turn audio directions, but I only see the idrive system. My issue happens randomly (maybe every 5th outing). And if I turn off the car and turn the car back on, the issue goes away. I’ve tried hard restarting the idrive system, hard restarting my iPhone and unpairing/repairing my iPhone but I’m still having the issue. Anyone else experience a similar issue or resolved this problem?

Thanks,
Jebb
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebb846 View Post
Hello all,

Sorry if this has already been asked. I did a couple searches but didn’t come across the issue I’m experiencing. I have a 2018 x5 with idrive version NBTevo_V and Apple CarPlay enabled. It was updated at the dealership from version M so that I could add full screen CarPlay which I added from a user on the forum. Before the update I did not experience this issue. My problem is when I turn on the car, CarPlay will automatically connect but I can’t get the CarPlay operating system to pop up on the screen by selecting CarPlay within idrive. Music will play and if pick a destination in Apple Maps from my phone I will get turn by turn audio directions, but I only see the idrive system. My issue happens randomly (maybe every 5th outing). And if I turn off the car and turn the car back on, the issue goes away. I’ve tried hard restarting the idrive system, hard restarting my iPhone and unpairing/repairing my iPhone but I’m still having the issue. Anyone else experience a similar issue or resolved this problem?

Thanks,
Jebb
I am not too familiar with this, but if you have wireless CarPlay, it order for it to work, it utilizes both wifi and Bluetooth connection. Sometimes your phone connects via wifi just fine, but it is lacking bluetooth connection. Next time issue happens, go into your bluetooth connection on your phone and see if it is actually connected properly. Also see your wifi is connected properly as well.

Sometimes, in order to resolve this, you will need to unpair the phone from the car (forget the car), and initiate pairing again. In most cases that resolves the issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 04:58 PM   #3
Jebb846
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 x5

Thanks W37V. I’ll check the Bluetooth. I haven’t looked there yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 05:19 PM   #4
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

I suspect what is happening is that the car is defaulting to connect to your phone via Bluetooth (and therefore use iDrive) and not via WIFI. WIFI is required for Apple Car play.

Try this. Delete the phone from the car. And then reconnect it. This time though, during connection process select to connect with Apple Car play only. Hopefully then, the car won't try and use iDrive with phone on restart.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 10:10 PM   #5
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 Silver

@Jebb846 How much did the dealer charge to upgrade idrive to the M version if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0