BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-02-2020, 06:36 PM   #45
cute_lil_bmw
Rep
Drives: E70 35d, E30 325is

Add me to the list of those with a successful fix replacing only the desiccant beads! $11 for the beads on Amazon, $400 in labor (might've been high but I didn't have the time or the place to do it - driveway too sloped and HOA won't allow repairs on it anyway...don't get me started on the trailer in the garage).

I had to find an indy shop out of town because none of the ones here in Austin would try this fix so it also cost me two days of driving to SA and back (my dad let me borrow his car) but highly recommend the guys at M Technik for this job if you need it.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 08:09 PM   #46
OzzieF15
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d F15

Thanks to everyone for posting your experiences here. Based on your stories, I am about to try the desiccant beads solution on my X5 here in Sydney. Just waiting for the beads to arrive... holiday season shipping delays. Fingers crossed this fixes my intermittent drops. The fuse seems to blow, and then the bags can't inflate once they are down due to riding over bumps, etc. If I leave the car parked with the bags in the inflated state, they don't deflate, which suggests I probably don't have a leak. On my third fuse at the moment, but avoiding using the car too much so I don't end up blowing the compressor.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 02:10 AM   #47
OzzieF15
Australia
Rep

The beads arrived today and I pulled out the compressor and changed the beads. Unfortunately, this didn't fix anything in my case. The bags inflated alright after I changed the beads. I went for a short drive and came back to find the fuse blown again. Swapped it for another one, and sure enough, the bags inflate again. I note that the bags only inflate when the engine is running, though I hear the compressor even when the engine is not running. Is this normal?
I pulled out the fuse to prevent compressor burnout or another blown fuse. This process will probably eventually blow the compressor.
Given that the bags inflate, I don't think the compressor is faulty.
Could it be that the ride height sensors are faulty, and cause the compressor to keep running even after I've switched off the car?
What else could cause the compressor to keep running till the fuse blows?
Any inputs appreciated.
Thanks again for the writeups that allowed me to try changing the desiccant beads.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 02:35 AM   #48
OzzieF15
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MCollection View Post
Possibly a faulty compressor or a sticking relay, they are usually green
Hi. Could you please provide some information on where the relays are? I'm having issues with my compressor running nonstop and burning through fuses. The bags inflate ok and hold air with no leaks. They only go down when I ride over driveway / speed humps, and the fuse is blown.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 05:37 AM   #49
OzzieF15
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemap View Post
I am not getting any error codes or warning, just intermittent deflated rear suspension. 2015 F15 x5 the 7 seater with M sports options and air suspension at rear....

As I am in Australia, I have been reading around on this and found some parts available in Germany (they seem experienced with the issue and some of their parts are a fraction of OEM, but usefully, they also explain what to check when installing...).

why bother looking for after-market parts?

BMW in Australia quotes $3000 ish for the compressor and $5000 for the whole system to be done, to be sure (bags, compressor, actuators or control units etc, as one damaged unit damages others or causes premature wear). they told me they sell 3-5 compressors a month in Sydney. So its a common issue....

ALSO, the website selling the after market parts mention that is you have the deflation issue, the bags arent the only thing to replace, there can be damage to relays, valves and the compressor (specifically start stop cycles will damage the relays, so the contacts will stick together, so the compressor might be always "on" and will burn out).

they also mention the importance of checking for leaks in the system, never lowering the car with deflated bags, and check the whole thing by measuring the heights after leaving overnight.

a Cautious approach, or ...GERMAN PRECISION you might say, but it saves you doing tit all over again. on the other hand, if your caught the issue early and if its just the bags, you may well be bloody lucky and its all you need.

Anyone have the issue come back?

here is a convincing looking parts provider from Germany - scroll down for their explanation
http://www.air-suspension-shop.com/B...on-37206875177
Hi alemap. I am also in Sydney. Have you actually tried this? What worked for you?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 12:59 AM   #50
TheMane
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieF15 View Post
Hi. Could you please provide some information on where the relays are? I'm having issues with my compressor running nonstop and burning through fuses. The bags inflate ok and hold air with no leaks. They only go down when I ride over driveway / speed humps, and the fuse is blown.
I'd definitely try replacing the relay, your description of the issue matches BMW's symptoms of a sticking relay perfectly.

"A ”sticking” relay can be detected in that the compressor runs continuously. Another diagnosis is not possible. In the event of problem with the air supply system, check the compressor relay." [1]

The relay is located in the luggage compartment down and to the right from the fuses (it's likely a green box). Location varies by model but I believe it's item K1 in the diagram on newTIS [2].

I'm a little confused about the part number. This [3] diagram indicates the part number is 61368373700 but fcpeuro claims that part doesn't fit this model year car. Possible their fitment chart is off-- I'd pull the existing relay you have in there and grab the part number or specs ooff it to confirm the proper replacement. Should be like a $10-$20 part.

Good luck!

[1] https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...-relay/XTRPBQI

[2] https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...lay/1VnXFflCTM

[3] https://www.bmwautoparts.net/en/cata...1_3523/0/56087
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 02:09 AM   #51
OzzieF15
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMane View Post
Quote:
I'd definitely try replacing the relay, your description of the issue matches BMW's symptoms of a sticking relay perfectly.

"A ”sticking” relay can be detected in that the compressor runs continuously. Another diagnosis is not possible. In the event of problem with the air supply system, check the compressor relay." [1]

The relay is located in the luggage compartment down and to the right from the fuses (it's likely a green box). Location varies by model but I believe it's item K1 in the diagram on newTIS [2].

I'm a little confused about the part number. This [3] diagram indicates the part number is 61368373700 but fcpeuro claims that part doesn't fit this model year car. Possible their fitment chart is off-- I'd pull the existing relay you have in there and grab the part number or specs ooff it to confirm the proper replacement. Should be like a $10-$20 part.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMane View Post
Quote:

"A "sticking" relay can be detected in that the compressor runs continuously. Another diagnosis is not possible. In the event of problem with the air supply system, check the compressor relay." [1]

Good luck!

Thanks so much TheMane I found the relay exactly where you pointed out, and the part number is the same. I've ordered one online as I couldn't find a similar relay in stores locally. BMW uses reverse connections for the 30 and 86 pins, and no stores seem to stock those. It should be coming next week.
Unfortunately, I seem to have damaged the right (driver side in my case) airbag when I put the car on stands. That one is no longer holding pressure. I've ordered a pair of Arnott bags as well. They're coming from Amazon US. BMW quoted $2,000 for the bags. Arnotts are under $500 (A$). Will do the bags and relay together when they are all here.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 12:11 AM   #52
OzzieF15
Australia
Rep

Quick update - the relay arrived today. I put it in, and sure enough, the compressor inflated the bags and then stopped. Didn't keep going. Left it in there for a few mins to see if a fuse blows, and it didn't.
Now I just need the Arnotts to arrive. The right rear is definitely leaking. Drops in 30 mins after being inflated. The Arnott bags arrive mid next week.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 07:47 PM   #53
TheMane
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Nice! Glad that ended up being an easy fix! I think you’re the first person on this board to have had an issue where the relay was at fault.

The bag swap is pretty straightforward, you’ll be back in business in no time.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 07:26 AM   #54
OzzieF15
Australia
Rep

Thanks!
So far so good. Will replace the bags once they're here. They have arrived in Sydney and cleared Customs, but will probably not be delivered over the weekend.

Next step is to look at the shock absorbers. I have a minor oil leak on the left rear. But with the EDC, there seem to be no real aftermarket options. Might have to buy that from BMW. Quote is $1700 each and recommendation is to replace both. My mechanic said it's minor - keep using till it become a problem. Thoughts on that approach? It does not appear to be affecting the ride in any way yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 07:28 AM   #55
OzzieF15
Australia
Rep

[IMG][/IMG]
This image shows the leak on the left shock. Any advice appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 02:46 AM   #56
OzzieF15
Australia
Rep

The Arnott airbags arrived on Monday and were put in today. So far so good. Hopefully, this has fixed it. I'll update here if I find something else to report. Thanks once again for all the help.

Advice on shocks still welcome. 😊
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 06:58 PM   #57
ponytuning
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 F16 50i, 15' F15 50i

Anyone have m adaptive suspension and successful fixed the sagging using aftermarket arnotts?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 06:12 AM   #58
OzzieF15
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytuning View Post
Anyone have m adaptive suspension and successful fixed the sagging using aftermarket arnotts?
Yes, this is what I did. I have the M adaptive suspension with VDC.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 09:20 PM   #59
ponytuning
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 F16 50i, 15' F15 50i

Quote:
Yes, this is what I did. I have the M adaptive suspension with VDC.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 03:48 AM   #60
OzzieF15
Australia
Rep

To me, this sounds like a leak in the airbags, which is probably somehow triggered when driving over rough bumps.
When I had the issue with the relay, I would burn through fuses and once that happens, the bags cannot inflate mid ride. They would only come back up when I replaced the fuse.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 03:53 AM   #61
OzzieF15
Australia
Rep

Does one bag drop, or both? If both, it could be compressor related. If one, it is worth checking the air line from the compressor to the bag for leaks using the good ol soap spray test.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 12:44 AM   #62
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

Mine just started acting up, 2015 M-sort 35d, 100,000km on it. The other day it was -20C the vehicle was parked outside overnight for the first time. I drove it 2 blocks fine then I backed into my in laws steep driveway and came out 10min later and both bags were totally deflated. I assumed the driveway was the culprit but after normal driving, a couple on and off cycles and driving up and down inclines they wouldn’t inflate. I drove home 2.5 HRs on the dump stops... it was miserable. I parked in my garage came out a hour later opened a door and the rear came up. I assumed something froze the thawed and allowed it to pump up. It’s all good today I drive to work, park it and get a picture an hour later from a co-worker asking what’s wrong and the picture shows the bags deflated. I go outside turn the vehicle on and nothing I park it on an incline it leveled out. Parked it in my stall 2hrs later I come back and both are flat again, repeat the incline trip it works. I go to drive home, I park on the 3rd floor of a parkade, I drive down go over a couple big speed bumps and start driving on flat road and it’s rough as heck. I park at a gas station they are deflated again. I toggle comfort, Sport, sport +, I accelerate hard and brake hard to see if anything triggers them to inflate. They sag the whole way home then on level ground in my garage they inflate again.... I don’t think it’s a bag issue since it’s both always and they will inflate and stay inflated in my heated garage. I am thinking maybe it’s a bead issue and they are freezing but it deflates fine just doesn’t seem to want to inflate and today it wasn’t in my garage long enough to thaw anything that was frozen... any ideas? I bought ST lowering springs for a ridiculous amount of money (they aren’t installed yet) but I am kicking myself for not buying non-air ride coilovers and ditching the bags altogether
      12-22-2021, 03:45 AM   #63
OzzieF15
Australia
Rep

Have you checked the fuse and the relay? My fuse was blowing up all the time and it turned out to be a faulty relay after a few frustrating weeks of diagnosis. Check these two things first.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 03:49 PM   #64
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

Quote:
Have you checked the fuse and the relay? My fuse was blowing up all the time and it turned out to be a faulty relay after a few frustrating weeks of diagnosis. Check these two things first.
I see people talking about fuses and relays... would you have intermittent issues if the fuse or relay is shot? To me it’s a fuse or relay issue if it’s not functioning at all. I haven’t blown any fuses so to me it’s definitely not a fuse or relay issue my ONLY issue is sometimes when I park on slopes it deflates and won’t reinfate in below freezing temperatures however as soon as it gets in my warm garage on level ground it reinflates and stays inflated for several days while parked in the garge
      12-22-2021, 04:01 PM   #65
OzzieF15
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35 View Post
Quote:
I see people talking about fuses and relays... would you have intermittent issues if the fuse or relay is shot? To me it's a fuse or relay issue if it's not functioning at all. I haven't blown any fuses so to me it's definitely not a fuse or relay issue my ONLY issue is sometimes when I park on slopes it deflates and won't reinfate in below freezing temperatures however as soon as it gets in my warm garage on level ground it reinflates and stays inflated for several days while parked in the garge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35 View Post
Quote:
I see people talking about fuses and relays... would you have intermittent issues if the fuse or relay is shot? To me it's a fuse or relay issue if it's not functioning at all. I haven't blown any fuses so to me it's definitely not a fuse or relay issue my ONLY issue is sometimes when I park on slopes it deflates and won't reinfate in below freezing temperatures however as soon as it gets in my warm garage on level ground it reinflates and stays inflated for several days while parked in the garge
I don't live in a cold place, so I can't comment on the freezing temperatures having something to do with it. It couldn't be a fuse if it's intermittent, but it could be the relay. If it's just the cold weather, we'll happily welcome you here in warmer Australia 😊. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 09:10 PM   #66
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

My F15 is having both sides of the rear drop after sitting for a couple of hours, it has only started today but (so far) is very consistent. Once the car is started it will pump back up. BMW are not cheap! $1020 per bag, plus labour... plus time is insane. I am very tempted to just do it myself, but I have sold all my tools which is very annoying. Anyway, a few questions if people can help to just narrow down the problem.

- If both sides go down evenly, can it still be a leak? Initially I would have thought each bag would be separate from the other, but that might not be true. With one compressor, will a leak in one side produce an even drop across both - ie. is it a single system? I am just trying to confirm it is likely the air bags as both getting a leak at the same time seems unlikely. I don't have tools to easily lift it and check for leaks, but I might have to borrow some tools.
- Since the compressor inflates the air bags, I imagine it is fine?
- Where exactly is the compressor? I would like to check that it isn't running 100% so I can drive it around while I wait for a fix / parts. I assume just listening is enough, but there is a shield under most of the car. I am hoping that I can slide under the car and hear it.
- Do I have to buy ISTA and an E-Net cable to reset it all?

I think that's it. Thanks all!
Appreciate 0