BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-25-2019, 07:57 PM   #45
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

All I can tell you is when the dealer blew my motor in my x5 during a test drive after they worked on it, I got my insurance involved, they sided with me and found neglect on the dealer and awarded me with a 13,900 payout on my e70 x5 with 150k miles on the clock.

I was allowed to even take my x5 back and take all my mods off of it.

Mine was worth maybe 6k max

I didn't ask questions I said sure and took the payment and bought my new 40e M Sport and never looked back.

They also paid my taxes and registration for the new car under their totaled replacement car program.

Sometimes totaling it's a blessing!

Other times the insurance company can leave you high and dry and give you a pittance of what your cars real worth is then your fighting a loosing battle. I lucked out in this one but not every situation is so lucky.

Even more lucky that my insurance company even covered me in this situation as it's not a normal situation and more of a grey area for them.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 08:45 AM   #46
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrabbi View Post
I think if you want your own insurance to go after other parties, you have to pay for deductible and then once they figured out I got it back 3 weeks later
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2018 View Post
That's exactly what they told me but because it was 100% his fault from the beginning they didn't take deductible
Deductible is based on whose insurance company paid for the repair (at least in at-fault states). I've done this a few times, so let me explain:

If the accident was NOT your fault, but you went through YOUR insurance company for repair, you will have to pay your deductible. But, once your insurance company gets paid for the repairs by the at-fault insurance company, they will refund your deductible. I usually go this route since my insurance company is awesome, my repairs are usually approved same-day and repairs begin immediately.

If the accident was NOT your fault and you decided to go through the at-fault insurance company, you will NOT have to pay a deductible. However, if you go this route, you will have to deal with someone elses insurance company and wait for their approval/payment process. But, you are not their insurance customer and they do not work for you, so everything is a battle.

If the accident was your fault, you're paying!
      12-27-2019, 09:12 AM   #47
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrabbi View Post
I think if you want your own insurance to go after other parties, you have to pay for deductible and then once they figured out I got it back 3 weeks later
This.

Quote:
That's exactly what they told me but because it was 100% his fault from the beginning they didn't take deductible
Deductible is based on whose insurance company paid for the repair (at least in at-fault states). I've done this a few times, so let me explain:

If the accident was NOT your fault, but you went through YOUR insurance company for repair, you will have to pay your deductible. But, once your insurance company gets paid for the repairs by the at-fault insurance company, they will refund your deductible. I usually go this route since my insurance company is awesome, my repairs are usually approved same-day and repairs begin immediately.

If the accident was NOT your fault and you decided to go through the at-fault insurance company, you will NOT have to pay a deductible. However, if you go this route, you will have to deal with someone elses insurance company and wait for their approval/payment process. But, you are not their insurance customer and they do not work for you, so everything is a battle.

If the accident was your fault, you're paying!
What's your insurance ? Which state ?
StateFarm nyc sucks.. crocks as someone likes to say on TV lol
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 09:24 AM   #48
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

I’d say that paying the deductible regardless of fault is based on the insurance company, and or your relationship with said insurance company. I’ve had a few repairs done over the years due to accidents in different states and even in Germany, I’ve never paid a deductible.
I’m with USAA and they’ve always told me they’ll deal with it for me not to worry or pay, I’ve never paid.

I’d say Rotzy nailed it though, and I always recommend to use your insurance to handle it all, from beginning to end. Let them deal with the other party’s insurance, not you.
      12-27-2019, 01:53 PM   #49
MK2018
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
I'd say that paying the deductible regardless of fault is based on the insurance company, and or your relationship with said insurance company. I've had a few repairs done over the years due to accidents in different states and even in Germany, I've never paid a deductible.
I'm with USAA and they've always told me they'll deal with it for me not to worry or pay, I've never paid.

I'd say Rotzy nailed it though, and I always recommend to use your insurance to handle it all, from beginning to end. Let them deal with the other party's insurance, not you.
That's exactly what happened to me, it was not my fault and my insurance said they will handle that for me and I didn't have to pay deductible. That's what you pay if you want to fix your vehicle at your fault.
2017 GMC Sierra Denali
2017 GMC Yukon Denali
2016 GMC Yukon SLT
2015 GMC Sierra All Terrain
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 02:59 PM   #50
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfochon View Post
What's your insurance ? Which state ?
StateFarm nyc sucks.. crocks as someone likes to say on TV lol
Amica Insurance. I live in RI. The last two times one of my vehicles was hit, I drove the vehicles directly to the repair shop and both times the adjuster beat me there AND had approved payment by the end of the day, including specialty parts like the carbon fiber rear diffuser and black badging. Their service is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
I’d say that paying the deductible regardless of fault is based on the insurance company, and or your relationship with said insurance company. I’ve had a few repairs done over the years due to accidents in different states and even in Germany, I’ve never paid a deductible.
I’m with USAA and they’ve always told me they’ll deal with it for me not to worry or pay, I’ve never paid.

I’d say Rotzy nailed it though, and I always recommend to use your insurance to handle it all, from beginning to end. Let them deal with the other party’s insurance, not you.
Quote:
That's exactly what happened to me, it was not my fault and my insurance said they will handle that for me and I didn't have to pay deductible.
The reason I had to pay the deductible initially is due to the speed with which my vehicles have been repaired. Usually, repairs start next day. My insurance is able to provide payment this fast. Most others are not. Until my insurance company recoups their payments from the at-fault company, I am out the deductible. I find this a fair trade off for not having to deal with the other insurance company AT ALL.

Quote:
That's what you pay if you want to fix your vehicle at your fault.
Technically, you are subject to a deductible just about any time your insurance company pays to repair your vehicle. For example: If you are hit by an uninsured motorist, you will be subject to your deductible (or lower deductible if you carry uninsured motorist coverage) even though you’re not at fault. One exception is usually damage to your vehicle when unoccupied. That is usually covered under the comprehensive provisions of the policy without a deductible.

Last edited by Rotzy; 12-28-2019 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 08:24 PM   #51
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotu View Post
Accident happened on Thursday, Dec 19th. Other driver's insurance called it a total loss. My insurance adjuster inspected Monday and called me this afternoon to recommend repair. We were not sure what to do and went with my insurance agent's recommendation of repair.
You are right to involve your insurance company so it's documented in case the other person flakes or don't have coverage. I had a semi hot me from behind one time and admitted it on scene but told insurance something else and they tried to blame me. In that case I went through my company and they handled everything in arbitration. But regardless fault should be determined if appropriate in your state to know who is liae for damage and repair.

So confused here. Which insurer is paying for it? That's who recommendation you should go with. Both shouldn't be involved to determine repair. Since you described a T-bone accident I think they would be at fault unless you ran a light or stop sign. If they are at fault and paying your insurance company should have nothing to do with it unless you are filing a claim with them.

Only concern with total loss is if you have to worry about the gap; insurance payout being less than loan balance which I hope isn't the case. I would be willing to take the totaled payout and start new, trying to negotiate for best payment. If I had to get it repaired I would plan to keep it a bit longer knowing the accident diminished value would affect trade in value.
      12-28-2019, 08:31 PM   #52
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
Quote:
You pay deductible only if it's your fault

I had similar situation, someone rear ended me luckily it was my pickup, my insurance was dealing with that, it was not my fault and I didn't have to pay deductible
Maybe it's different in Canada or with certain companies. I was told I would have to pay the deductible if I filed a claim with my insurance company state farm. So i just called and dealt only with the other party's insurance.
Usually if you file a claim with your insurance (meaning they are paying for repair, different than notifying them) regardless of fault you pay deductible.
      12-28-2019, 11:23 PM   #53
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
Usually if you file a claim with your insurance (meaning they are paying for repair, different than notifying them) regardless of fault you pay deductible.
This is true, but only until your insurance company recoups payment from the at-fault insurance company. At that time, they will reimburse your deductible. I don't know how it works in no-fault states.