BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-11-2016, 04:54 PM   #1
KennySRFElite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 6mt CP

My first BMW X6 50i, just recieved production #

To all,
I have drove pickup trucks for the last 20 years, all new trucks, keep them three years and get a new one, the last two where F150 Platinum, nice trucks.

I wanted something different, here is my first BMW

2017 X6 X drive 50i
Carbon Black Metallic
Canberra Beige / Black Dakota
Cold Weather
Driver Assistanc Plus
Executive Package
M Sport
20" 469 light color rims
Ventilated seats
Invisible hitch

I bought the vehicle for 7% off of MSRP, which is dealer invoice.

I am in Wisconsin, I read alot on here about winter tires. Here's what i did.

I purchased another set of 20" 469 rims and a set of Perelli Snow and Ice, 275 front, 315 rear. I will post on this thread about how they perform. My current truck has 255 Perelli 20" all seasons, they are so-so tires in the snow.

The vehicle is set for production on week 44 (30 Oct - 5 Nov)

I will keep this thread going with all aspects of this X6, good and bad.

If there is anything that a first timer like me has missed, please chime in. I would appreiciate your feedback.

Thanks
Kenny P
Appreciate 2
golovko379.00
Lee63.50
      10-11-2016, 05:03 PM   #2
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

Welcome to the club!

You should have held out for this though
http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/08/05/bm...-transformers/

2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 11:24 AM   #3
taxjoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i & 2015 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cautjit View Post
2017 X6 X drive 50i
Carbon Black Metallic
Canberra Beige / Black Dakota
Cold Weather
Driver Assistanc Plus
Executive Package
M Sport
20" 469 light color rims
Ventilated seats
Invisible hitch
If there is anything that a first timer like me has missed, please chime in. I would appreiciate your feedback.
Kenny, you are going to love your X6. I have a 2016 X5 50i and absolutely love it. This was my first BMW (I drove Chevy Suburbans most of my adult life). Since you asked for feedback, here are my thoughts:

Since you have a production number, I am not sure you can make any changes to your build. Someone else on the forum can probably confirm whether you can or can't make any changes to your build.

I know these things are expensive and each option can add a bunch to the bottom line. However, if you can make changes to your build at this late date, consider the dynamic handling package ("DHP"). Mine has it and I love it. Most folks on the forum I think would agree this is an important (albeit expensive) option.

Consider also the ACC stop and go. I use it everyday. I know others have no use for it but I love it.

I would add the space saver spare since it is so cheap.

I would delete the ventilated seats. I have them. They don't do a whole lot but here in Florida I need all of the ventilation I can get. The problem with the ventilated seats is that all seats, including the rear seats, get perforated treatment. I think the non-perforated seats look better and since you are in Wisconsin, I am not sure you need them, particularly since they don't work all that well and you are in a cool climate.

I assume your dealer is willing to install the invisihitch or you will be installing it yourself. I have it and love it. Be sure to have it wired with the OEM trailer controller (and that you get it coded to do the zoom feature on the rear view camera - it is wonderful).
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 09:50 AM   #4
newtlicious
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6 50i

I will second the notion that the vent seats are crap.

- Patrick
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 10:02 AM   #5
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxjoc View Post
Kenny, you are going to love your X6. I have a 2016 X5 50i and absolutely love it. This was my first BMW (I drove Chevy Suburbans most of my adult life). Since you asked for feedback, here are my thoughts:

Since you have a production number, I am not sure you can make any changes to your build. Someone else on the forum can probably confirm whether you can or can't make any changes to your build.

I know these things are expensive and each option can add a bunch to the bottom line. However, if you can make changes to your build at this late date, consider the dynamic handling package ("DHP"). Mine has it and I love it. Most folks on the forum I think would agree this is an important (albeit expensive) option.

Consider also the ACC stop and go. I use it everyday. I know others have no use for it but I love it.

I would add the space saver spare since it is so cheap.

I would delete the ventilated seats. I have them. They don't do a whole lot but here in Florida I need all of the ventilation I can get. The problem with the ventilated seats is that all seats, including the rear seats, get perforated treatment. I think the non-perforated seats look better and since you are in Wisconsin, I am not sure you need them, particularly since they don't work all that well and you are in a cool climate.

I assume your dealer is willing to install the invisihitch or you will be installing it yourself. I have it and love it. Be sure to have it wired with the OEM trailer controller (and that you get it coded to do the zoom feature on the rear view camera - it is wonderful).
+1 on all stated above, my #1 regret is not adding DHP to my order.
I love my ACC stop and go, dislike the ventilated seats.
Also, the leather dashboard is a must as well.

Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 03:31 PM   #6
KennySRFElite
Private First Class
Rep

Golovko, when does that truck come out?

Thanks to all,

I think I can still make a change to the build, I did look at the DHP, I just didn't know much about it and from what I remenber it was pricey. I will look again. Maybe an add.

The perforated leather is something I had on the last two trucks, in the F150 only the driver/passenger are ventilated, not the rear. I will look into that also. Maybe a delete.

The ACC is the cruise control that slows you down if you come up on a car, right? I asked if that was always on or if I could shut if off, I was told No, always on if using cruise. That's why I didn't get it. I have driven cars with that and I didn't like it. It leaves to big of a gap in front of you then another car comes in and you slow down even more. That was my experience in heavy traffic, like in Chicago.

Kenny P.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 10:48 PM   #7
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

Quote:
Golovko, when does that truck come out?

Thanks to all,

I think I can still make a change to the build, I did look at the DHP, I just didn't know much about it and from what I remenber it was pricey. I will look again. Maybe an add.

The perforated leather is something I had on the last two trucks, in the F150 only the driver/passenger are ventilated, not the rear. I will look into that also. Maybe a delete.

The ACC is the cruise control that slows you down if you come up on a car, right? I asked if that was always on or if I could shut if off, I was told No, always on if using cruise. That's why I didn't get it. I have driven cars with that and I didn't like it. It leaves to big of a gap in front of you then another car comes in and you slow down even more. That was my experience in heavy traffic, like in Chicago.

Kenny P.
It is a fake, thought you'd get a kick out of it with your truck history.

ACC is the cruise control that will slow down to maintain distance with the vehicle in front of you. In addition to the resume, set, and speed controls on the steering wheel, you also have two additional buttons to increase/decrease distance.

We have it in our 2017 X5 and I've used it a few times. It works great on trips with open highways but I wouldn't use it in heavy traffic. I don't generally use cruise control in heavy traffic anyway but technically you could. But it is as you describe, if the car in front of you slows down, you will slow down as well. If a car changes lanes in front of you, you slow down also.

We also have perforated leather with the ventilated seats. I like how they look and they're really comfortable. Haven't had the ventilated seats long enough to make a good judgement on their usefulness though.
2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 11:36 AM   #8
KennySRFElite
Private First Class
Rep

Golovko,
That's what I thought, but just the same it'seems cool. Thanks for the info on ACC. I'll let know when it comes in.
KP
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 03:09 PM   #9
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

If DHP is too expensive option for you, then I would at the very minimum get adaptive M suspension since you are getting a Msport for $950 ish.. The stock suspension is IMHO subpar...
And trust me you will kick yourself for not getting an upgraded suspension on your BMW.
      10-14-2016, 03:49 PM   #10
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
If DHP is too expensive option for you, then I would at the very minimum get adaptive M suspension since you are getting a Msport for $950 ish.. The stock suspension is IMHO subpar...
And trust me you will kick yourself for not getting an upgraded suspension on your BMW.
This guy knows what he is talking about ( for real, I know him). Please at least get that option OP as Kzang mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 04:11 PM   #11
KennySRFElite
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks you, I am flying back and will get ahold of my dealer tomorrow, if I'm spending this much, I should take your advise.
I will do one of the two options if I still can.
KP
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 10:37 AM   #12
KennySRFElite
Private First Class
Rep

Good news, my X6 has not gone into production and I just added the Dynamic Handling Package. I remember looking at it, but I just didn't know too much about it. Money well spent.
Thanks
KP
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 11:26 AM   #13
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Quote:
Good news, my X6 has not gone into production and I just added the Dynamic Handling Package. I remember looking at it, but I just didn't know too much about it. Money well spent.
Thanks
KP
That is money well spent, great call on changing the order.
Post some pics when you take delivery.
Cheers!
Chad
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 10:38 AM   #14
KennySRFElite
Private First Class
Rep

My X6 just entered production today. I was able to tour the Munich production plant in March of this year, by the speed of that plant I would think production should be only one - two days. I'll let your know.
KP
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 11:03 AM   #15
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
My X6 just entered production today. I was able to tour the Munich production plant in March of this year, by the speed of that plant I would think production should be only one - two days. I'll let your know.
KP
Congrats. Production usually takes about a week from start to finish. Then the transport. My time from start of production to arrived at dealer in NJ has consistently been two weeks, so add a few days for WI.

Last edited by cmyx6go; 10-27-2016 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 12:34 PM   #16
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Good call on the DHP. It really really transforms this car.
      10-29-2016, 08:53 AM   #17
lofrese1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5

Beautiful build. Enjoy the vehicle in good health.

You will love the power from the 50i it's very intoxicating.

Great call on adding the DHP to your build really does make a huge difference in the dynamics of the vehicle!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 07:55 PM   #18
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Congrats on the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 08:07 PM   #19
hanman
BMW ENTHUSIAST
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 COMPETITION

Garage List
Welcome I came over from Audi in 2012 with my first 3 series and now have the X5

I had the same staggered winter set up for my X5 with the Pirelli's they didn't last too long. I am picking up Toyo GSi 5's this week staggered as well but non-run flat.

I will let everyone know how it goes.
Appreciate 1
Lee63.50
      11-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #20
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
We have it in our 2017 X5 and I've used it a few times. It works great on trips with open highways but I wouldn't use it in heavy traffic. I don't generally use cruise control in heavy traffic anyway but technically you could.
ACC with STOP AND GO is designed for heavy traffic. I use it every day for stop and go commute at it is FANTASTIC!. It took me a while to trust it, but it does a very good job. You still have to be alert for any emergency braking situations as it can't handle them all.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 01:03 PM   #21
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 50i/'01 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanman View Post
I had the same staggered winter set up for my X5 with the Pirelli's they didn't last too long. I am picking up Toyo GSi 5's this week staggered as well but non-run flat.
I also went this route, so I look forward to hearing about the Toyos.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #22
KennySRFElite
Private First Class
Rep

Update
My X6 shot right through "End Production" and went straight to "Finishing Touches" today.
The next level is "At Dealer", my dealer is in Minnesota.
Does anyone know, do they rail the cars or truck transport them in the states out of South Carolina?
Shouldn't be long now
KP
Appreciate 0