BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-30-2016, 11:41 PM   #1
emitemirp
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

Importing Car Overseas and iDrive Locked

I'm hoping someone might be able to give me some advice on an issue I'm having with my 2015 X5 3.5d, U.S. spec. I moved to Taiwan and when I picked it up at the shipping company the iDrive screen was not functioning, i.e. the screen is blank. I brought it to a BMW dealership here in Taiwan, they had it for a few days to troubleshoot, and no electrical malfunction was found. Their prognosis was that the iDrive system was locked because it was moved from the U.S. and that they are unable to reprogram it because it is a U.S. spec car. They supposedly tried to call BMW international to have them give them some type of unlock code, but were not successful. They told me to contact BMW USA for further assistance.

I called the BMW USA Genius line and they basically said they couldn't do anything and to call the dealership in the U.S. that serviced my car. I called the dealership and they said they couldn't help and to call BMW USA customer support. I called BMW USA customer support and after being on hold for a long time, they basically said they couldn't do anything and the only thing I can do is to ship the car back to the U.S. and have them reprogram it! I also contacted both BMW Taiwan and BMW International and it's been over a week and a half and no response. I basically can't use my $70k car because the screen is blank and BMW Taiwan, BMW USA, or BMW International can't seem to help me.

A couple of questions:

1. The BMW dealership in Taiwan said that the iDrive locked was a security feature since it sensed that it was shipped outside of the USA. Is that a real feature?
2. Does anyone have a contact phone number at BMW International? I tried all the phone numbers on the BMW International site and not one picks up. Further, I emailed them and I haven't gotten any response.
3. Is there anything else I can try like hacking into the iDrive

I think that it's absolutely crazy my car's basic functions are unavailable to me because it's in another country. WTF.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 09:37 AM   #2
samguan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Convertible

Hmmm. I don't think that is true, it's probably some other issues. There has been flood of people who are buying X5s and Range Rovers and Toyota Siennas and shipping them to China, never heard of this issue on the Chinese forum. I have a friend who owns a car export business in Montreal, mainly BMWs and Range Rovers to China, I can ask him if you would like me to.

I would think from an engineering perspective, it would show an appropriate message instead of blank screen so I firmly believe the cause is not the geolocation.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 09:43 AM   #3
samguan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Convertible

Maybe I take my comments back someone just posted 'transfer mode active' thread with similar issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 09:19 PM   #4
emitemirp
Rep

Thanks guys for the reply. I checked out the thread discussing transport mode and that seems like the way to go. I'll have to research that further.

The thing about the car is I bought it in Germany through military sales and never signed a document stating that I can't move it out of the US region. I even used it in Germany for months without issue. The only thing that didn't work was BMW online. I just expected the car to behave the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 10:50 PM   #5
Broadsword
Sustinendum Victoriam
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 335i

That doesn't sound right. I shipped an E70 to Korea (got orders there) two months after purchasing it. The only things that didn't work was the GPS (for some reason GPS positioned the car in the Atlantic Ocean) and satellite radio.

I also know plenty of folks that bought US spec BMWs through military sales and had no issues operating their vehicles overseas. Heck my boss shipped his US spec 328i from Germany (purchased through Military Sales) to Korea. So I agree with OP, I found it hard to believe the iDrive system locked out automatically cause you are outside the region of programming when there are plenty of legitimate reasons to transport your car overseas.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 09:42 AM   #6
artem123
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30

I have shipped 2 X6s purchased in US to foreign soil in 2015, and neither had issues with iDrive being locked. Now, nav is a different animal, so, new maps need to be loaded into the car.
      10-12-2016, 04:38 AM   #7
emitemirp
Rep

Thanks guys for your feedback. It's good to hear that it SHOULD be working even though it's abroad. BMW Taiwan finally got back to us and the X5 is back in the shop for further troubleshooting and hopefully a fix. BMW Taiwan said they would work with BMW International to find a resolution. The fact that they initially had me calling BMW USA and International to figure out a fix for them was ridiculous. I'm just glad they're promising to work with the other parties for a resolution this time.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 11:20 PM   #8
Nison
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 40iX

time to hit bimmer-tech up
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw...ation-retrofit
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 11:33 PM   #9
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nison View Post
Everytime I read a retrofit that says the parts may be slightly used, I think of the stripped cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 08:17 AM   #10
AylinNett
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d

never heard about locking idrive when going abroad.

If I would take my car to US oder APAC for a trip (with luggage ) iDrive shouldn't lock. I've done some research in cafd files - no point to lock iDrive

Transportation mode can be set and removed by rheingold (INPA) - you should check.

other method is to read error flash or to remove all errors incl. DCT and restart the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 09:43 PM   #11
madxkilla
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i coupe and 2016 X3

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but what ever happened with your situation? I just picked up my x3 in Korea, from the US, and I am having the same problem!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 04:46 PM   #12
js15514
Registered
Rep
Drives: 540i

Same issue that needs help

I know this is an old thread but needs help please. I recently PCS'd to Korea and shipped my car (540i)and iDrive is totally locked. I took it to BMW dealership in Korea ( U-jong-bu City) and they weren't able to reset it. And they did explain the reason was GPS issue for all models after 2018 - I'm not sure what it means. I'm driving now wthout idrive syatem and rear view camera. Does anyone have same issue, especailly ones in Korea? Any comments are really appreciated very much. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 02:08 AM   #13
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
Oh oh. My X5 will be arriving in france soon .. any advise guys ?
Appreciate 0