BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-14-2016, 12:50 AM   #23
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 -2016

Maybe they re-coded it. My 2016 stock suspension has a really firm steering even with 18 or 19 inch wheels. I was used to lighter steering and were even slightly disappointed with the heaviness. Sport mode is for strong people only, so heavy that my mom for instance wouldnt keep it on the road in higher speeds or curves.

Did drive a m-sport suspension of the same year, 2016, and that steering was just a plain disaster. So loose and no feedback, like driving on ice at any time
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 04:29 AM   #24
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyxy View Post
For me, steering is much heavier in sport vs comfort mode. So this must be 'codable'. Unfortunately I don't have the time to poke around.
If you like it in Sport, why not just drive in Sport?
I drive in sport when I can but sometimes I need to be in comfort:
1) wife thinks it's too bumpy - she gets car sick
2) display changes - sometimes I don't want to look at an all-red display
3) wife can see how fast I am going easily in sport - big #s on the digital display in sport

To name a few.

I am used to the steering at this point so it doesn't bother me that much but the stiffer steering in sport feels better.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 04:35 AM   #25
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX5
I could deal with the lightness if it just had more self centering. Tahts why it wanders more than it should
I agree. Wider tires helped a lot. Maybe when I switch to winters in the next month it'll become lighter and wander more.
Appreciate 1
Grobian61.50
      11-30-2018, 08:51 AM   #26
BimmerTy
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
3) wife can see how fast I am going easily in sport - big #s on the digital display in sport

To name a few.

I am used to the steering at this point so it doesn't bother me that much but the stiffer steering in sport feels better.
2) Damn 6WB!!!
2015 F15 X5 xDrive50i - M Sport - Space Grey Metallic - 21" 612M - Accelera Iota ST68's - Black Dakota - Leather Dash - Poplar Wood - Ceramic - Shawdowline - Anthracite - Adaptive M - Full LED - Executive - DA+ - Surround - HUD - Enhanced BT - Soft Close - B&O - ACC Stop & Go - Multi Contour - 4 Zone Climate - Comfort Seats - Cold Weather - Muffler Delete - Akrapovic Tips - F85 Grille - 35% Tint - BMW All Weather Mats -- Missing DHP, NV, Active Steering, Rear Entertainment, & Cooled Seats
Appreciate 2
      11-30-2018, 03:44 PM   #27
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerTy View Post
Quote:

To name a few.

2) Damn 6WB!!!
Actually, you can disable the sport red displays from Idrive. That way your wife cant tell how fast you are going
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #28
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

Anyone figure out how to code for tighter steering for the standard suspension guys? I don't even like to push this rig very hard b/c the steering is so loose. When you hit bumps or road imperfections when you're gunning it, the steering is so loose, it can get wobbly and feel unsecured.
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 12:01 PM   #29
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

When I drive our 328d after a week in my Xterra I'm all over the road. I thought it was alignment, and it was better after adjustment, but I still find the steering wishy-washy after driving the truck. I have to concentrate on NOT moving my hands because the resistance is so low.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #30
ptm1nh
Private First Class
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Blue Cars

What's your wheel size? I noticed mine gets just a bit heavier when swapping out my 19" for a 21"
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 01:27 PM   #31
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Drop your tire psi to 10
Appreciate 1
geedup35216.00
      12-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #32
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew2069 View Post
Anyone figure out how to code for tighter steering for the standard suspension guys? I don't even like to push this rig very hard b/c the steering is so loose. When you hit bumps or road imperfections when you're gunning it, the steering is so loose, it can get wobbly and feel unsecured.
Would be a nice Xmas present if someone could figure it out. I would gladly give a couple hundred bucks to whoever could come up with a solution!

Steering being too light, was my only complaint when I bought the F15 X5.
I test drove her, and she was like a Siren I couldn't walk away from, despite her steering being a bit disappointing...
Appreciate 1
1230vani637.00
      12-22-2018, 07:04 PM   #33
haris2887
Registered
Rep

I noticed this as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 10:19 PM   #34
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep

Maybe this is a solution, after I installed the M Performance front brakes kit the steering got considerably heavy! Now it kinda reminds me of the E90/E93 I used to own.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 10:40 PM   #35
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbinshihon View Post
Maybe this is a solution, so after I installed the M Performance front brakes kit the steering got considerably heavy! Now it kinda reminds me of the E90/E93 I used to own.
Was it also after you coded for the upgraded brakes?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #36
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew2069 View Post
Quote:
Maybe this is a solution, so after I installed the M Performance front brakes kit the steering got considerably heavy! Now it kinda reminds me of the E90/E93 I used to own.
Was it also after you coded for the upgraded brakes?
Not sure if the coding did anything for the steering. But the MPBK were a lot heavier than the 35i brakes.. the difference was more than 25 lbs a wheel (larger caliper, rotor, pad).
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 10:53 AM   #37
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Not sure if the coding did anything for the steering. But the MPBK were a lot heavier than the 35i brakes.. the difference was more than 25 lbs a wheel (larger caliper, rotor, pad).
Oh ok. There isn’t much difference in weight from the 50i brakes so that won’t make a difference for me. I was hoping the brake coding did something for it.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 06:24 AM   #38
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

I remember member here said he was complaining about steering feel and then a BMW engineer was visiting the service and he "coded" to heavier, possibly X5M spec and it worked. No official dealer knows how to do this but the BMWs engineer did. I went fast yesterday on the highway and it tightens up real nicely, sadly at slower speeds too light, also regreting not geting DHP, especially now that I have winter 19" that have even more body roll than 20"s. Besides DHP and nightvision my car has pretty much everything, so i coulda/shoulda added that option, oh well...
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 06:58 AM   #39
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
I remember member here said he was complaining about steering feel and then a BMW engineer was visiting the service and he "coded" to heavier, possibly X5M spec and it worked. No official dealer knows how to do this but the BMWs engineer did. I went fast yesterday on the highway and it tightens up real nicely, sadly at slower speeds too light, also regreting not geting DHP, especially now that I have winter 19" that have even more body roll than 20"s. Besides DHP and nightvision my car has pretty much everything, so i coulda/shoulda added that option, oh well...
I regret not getting DHP also, but mine was sort of an impulse buy.. LOL

Really a shame that BMW doesn't have better options when it comes to the steering feel in their cars.
IMO, would be an awesome feature, to have settings in the iDrive, coded to your key fob. Heavier steering for the keyfob I use, and standard setting for the second one...

Hey, BMW Corp, in case you read this!?!?!
How about adding this useful option, for us who see our vehicle as more than just a mode of transportation from A to B...
Appreciate 1
1230vani637.00
      10-28-2019, 10:23 AM   #40
Flakhani
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10, F15

BimmerCode default driving mode change = steering defaults to Sport stiffness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
Would be a nice Xmas present if someone could figure it out. I would gladly give a couple hundred bucks to whoever could come up with a solution!

Steering being too light, was my only complaint when I bought the F15 X5.
I test drove her, and she was like a Siren I couldn't walk away from, despite her steering being a bit disappointing...
Hi guys,

This is my first post here but have been a BMW owner almost continuously for 20 years. Lately my loyalty has been severely tested with the switch to electric steering as their steering feel is really what it was all about for me. My 2016 X5 35i M sport I believe HAD the least BMW-like steering feel of all the BMWs I have owned(E38, E46, E46 coupe, E60, F10).

However, last Friday I ordered the V2 Bluetooth OBD thing or whatever it is and downloaded and paid for the full version of BimmerCode. All I wanted to change was stop the steering wheel from telescoping in and out on entry/exit as it took so long to do that and I am the primary driver of this car and my wife has her own F10. On the F10 we are able to customize sport mode so it only affects the steering and chassis(adaptive dampers), and keep the transmission and engine in comfort. This makes the car ride a bit stiffer and stiffens the steering wheel to our liking too without making throttle response needlessly aggressive. My wife still misses her sublime E46 ZHP steering feel that she had many years ago but oh well!

Just FYI, our F15 does not have DHP but we like the ride and handling with the 20” M Sport wheels. I had also noticed that the base M suspension had a stiffer steering than the DHP equipped car I had driven in default mode. However, every time I would drive my F15 I craved the steering feel of our previous E46s or even the E38 or E60. The F10 in either comfort or sport also has better, more tactile steering than the F15 in comfort mode. When I would get really frustrated, I would switch to sport mode which would make the throttle more aggressive, and stiffen the steering feel. There would be no change to chassis as I don’t have adaptive dampers on this car. However, I would switch it back to comfort soon as I would find the throttle overly aggressive for everyday driving around town.

Anyways, so this past Saturday I hooked up BimmerCode with the Bluetooth obd adapter to my F15 and started playing around with the coding and did a lot more than I thought I would. I made the following changes:

1. Changed the tire pressure monitor to show temperature as well as pressure.
2. Changed the mirrors to auto fold if I keep the lock button on the door depressed.
3. Changed the idrive splash screen to the M animation
4. Added turn signals to HUD
5. Added scanning for grass and curb to the lane keep warning
6. Went into expert mode and made the steering column moving in entry/exit inactive
7. CHANGED THE DEFAULT DRIVING MODE TO SPORT
8. CHANGED THE DRIVING MODE MEMORY TO ACTIVE

After this I went for a quick drive to make sure all the errors had been cleared and I had not screwed up anything. However, the first thing I noticed was the car didnÂ’t really start in Sport mode as I thought it would with it being the default now.

HOWEVER, STEERING WAS HEAVIER! IT NOW FELT AS IF I WAS IN SPORT MODE BUT THE THROTTLE AND TRANSMISSION WERE IN COMFORT. Wow, could this really be? It was late at night and I was tired so I thought maybe thatÂ’s why I was feeling the steering needed some more effort. I drove for a few more minutes after switching to sport mode and then went home.

The next morning, the car starts in sport mode since I had switched it off in sport mode. I am guessing BimmerCode really did code the car to retain the last driving mode in memory. Anyway, I switched off Sport and started reversin in comfort and the STEERING WHEEL STILL FELT LIKE IT WAS IN SPORT. I drove about 200 miles on Sunday (pumpkin patch, family lunch, ballet class, Halloween at the aquarium etc etc.) and the steering stayed stiffer in comfort mode. I absolutely started loving how the steering felt now!! I have never been a big fan of the Sport mode in its entirety in town because of the aggressive throttle and this was just perfect for me!

My theory is that maybe “default driving mode” in BimmerCode refers only to the steering stiffness? If you think about how BimmerCode has translated the coding from German and turned the lines of coding to toggle switches for customers’ ease, it’s quite possible that a subtle change in translation has occurred here. i also like how the car now retains sport mode if I turned off the car in Sport mode.

Anyways, I thought I would share this as reading the forums over the past couple years, I have felt a lot of members sharing my frustration with the lack of steering effort on the F15.
Appreciate 2
      10-28-2019, 12:34 PM   #41
~ViO~
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2015 X6 50i

Quote:
For me, steering is much heavier in sport vs comfort mode. So this must be 'codable'. Unfortunately I don't have the time to poke around.
Agreed.... I noticed this as well... As soon as I leave my neighborhood (The roads are bumpy)... I switch from Comfort mode to Sport mode... Huge difference.. I also turn off the instrument display cluster from switching to the red digital gauges so I can keep the Analog look of Comfort mode when in Sport mode. 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 07:56 AM   #42
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

The X5 may have a lighter steering feel but better than any ML/GLE. I expected a bit heavier as well but still glad I avoided a Mercedes SUV.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 12:17 PM   #43
BlackX5
Private
Rep
Drives: TL TypeS

I test drove a 2014 X6 yesterday and driving off the lot it was very stiff.. and felt great. Doing 30 mph it was stiff. but I got on the highway and there was a 1 inch sway in the steering. I have no idea why.. anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 05:15 PM   #44
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackX5 View Post
I test drove a 2014 X6 yesterday and driving off the lot it was very stiff.. and felt great. Doing 30 mph it was stiff. but I got on the highway and there was a 1 inch sway in the steering. I have no idea why.. anyone know?
Active steering maybe?
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0